Michelin Pilot Road-2

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HaulinAshe

Reaction score
There was a recent tire review on a web publication that said something about an abundance of opinions being spread as scientific tests. I hope I’ve never claimed to be conducting scientific tests. Where possible, I do make measurements with durometers, micrometers and keep very detailed records in a database of most everything I do to/with the bike, including tires. But for me the proof is in the pudding made from running the same roads, with the same bike, under the same conditions, using nothing different except tires. The resulting feel, handling, whatever performance results you call it, is what I base my opinions on. We all know about opinions, don’t we.

:)

I promised the regular followers of my mindless babble about tires, that I would test the new Michelin Pilot Road-2. Overall tread life is yet to be determined, but the other verdicts are in. Here’s the results…

The FJR is classified as a Sport-Touring motorcycle. If you lean toward the Touring side of that marker, then the PR2 is definitely for you.

My first testing was about 5,000 miles on a front tire only. That tire appears to still have another 2,000-3,000 miles remaining. Something I learned is that the Michelin PR2 does not play well with all its rear tire friends, probably due to differences in the profiles. My advice is that if you cannot run the PR2 as a set, mix it with a Bridgestone BT-021 rear tire. They liked each other just fine in my testing. However, the front PR2 argues with a Dunlop RoadSmart rear in a manner reminiscent of the arguments your grandparents used to have when Grandpaw got roaring drunk. We’re talking everybody clear the room and watch the fight from a good distance.

The most recent PR2 testing was 1,600 miles with a matched set of brand new tires. I was hoping for results that would change my already made up mind. It didn’t happen. Mich PR2s are a great tire. They hold their original profile better than just about anything I’ve run since the original PR truck tires (That’s where they truly belonged, NOT on an FJR). If you are running Iron Butt, frequently heavily loaded two-up, or looking for a tire that will get you across country and back home without a rubber stop, then the PR2 is the tire of choice.

If you typically max at posted +10 and enter corners at less than 2x warning, then the PR2 is the tire of choice. If you frequent gravel roads, goat paths or run my route files faithfully without questioning why Fencer’s girlfriend is staring at you from behind her twisted cig on the front porch, the PR2 is the tire of choice.

IMO, the Mich PR2 is an 85% tire, meaning it can withstand 85% of what the FJR machine can deliver. It cannot take 2nd gear throttle- whacking from even a moderate lean angle. Most anything that lifts the front wheel is beyond the PR2. Pavement irregularities are perhaps its biggest weakness. That includes rocks, sticks, tar snakes and even paint stripes on perfectly dry roads. Traction is easily broken above the 85% marker and the PR2 will travel some appreciable distance before regaining traction. Under the best of weather conditions I could feel the rear chatter under heavy acceleration and braking. Passing across dry white lines in corners with wide paved shoulders, caused the PR2 rear to lose noticeable traction and walk out while crossing the paint through the apex.

Turn-in is silky smooth and predictable. The PR2 is probably one of the most linear turning tires I’ve ever encountered.

So we’re now down to the bottom lines. Here’s my advice, Tour with the Michelin PR2. Sport with the Dunlop RoadSmart. Rumble with my old faithful Pirelli Diablo Strada.

Like most everything in life, you have to give something up to gain something else. Set your expectation needle along the scale between Sport and Touring. It should land on one of the three brands/positions mentioned above.

The Mich PR2 compromises my self-confidence and moves my concentration from negotiating the road and the what's ahead, to a focus on early, hard braking and making damn certain I don't make a mistake in the upcoming corner. The Mich PR2 will definitely give up before reaching the limits of the FJR. On days when my mental and physical abilities are good enough to match the bike, the PR2 leaves me unsatisfied. Now that I'm older and used to be faster, I can't afford to pass up one of my good days just to gain some tread life.

HaulinAshe

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent review. But I still want to know why Fencer's girfriend was staring at you.

I am looking forward to trying the PR2. Should suit my type or riding well. But we shall see. I share your aversion to the original PRs. Haven't tried the Roadsmarts. And thought the Stadas good. But couldn't tell when the cords were about to show on the rear, and still liked the Azaros better.

Well...for the first time in long time, I had to read a post twice to understand what I was being told. I think at the end of the day, you would choose one of the other two tires over the PR2. I read in detail your descriptions and find that I am probably a "tweener" at this point in my riding experience. So - if you had to choose a tire "in between", which would it be?

Outside of my commutes, I ride two-up almost exclusively. I don't like gravel and I can feel when the bike doesn't like the transition over paint, tar snakes, and any other irregularity. I push the corners, but so far I am limited by my ability more than the FJR's. However, I am getting faster through them each time I try. I by necessity ride longish stretches on the freeway to get to the back country. I accelerate hard at every opportunity, but still testing what I can do in the technical sections. Which tire?

Excellent review. But I still want to know why Fencer's girfriend was staring at you.
Either she wants to know how a shorter, less muscular man might satisfy her burning desires, OR...

it's the big top box that really turns her on.

I definitely agree that the lack of a readily visible wear indicator on the Strada rear can be downright dangerous for many people. The RoadSmart does not suffer that problem and gives nearly the same handling performance.

Well...for the first time in long time, I had to read a post twice to understand what I was being told. I think at the end of the day, you would choose one of the other two tires over the PR2. I read in detail your descriptions and find that I am probably a "tweener" at this point in my riding experience. So - if you had to choose a tire "in between", which would it be?
Start with the RoadSmart. If having to change both the front and rear at the same mileage bothers your wallet, move to the PR2.

If you want the absolute best in predictable quality and consistency across purchases, buy the PR2.

Maybe just read post #1 a third time and see if something jumps out at you???

Jeff,

Glad to hear your review of the PR2's. You've run a ton of tires and value your opinions of the comparisions amongst them all.

I may not (always) push my tires as hard as some others do but I have found my PR2's to be very confident inspiring and, as you know, I am on my second rear.

My front has 11k on it and it is still holding the lines well (and its shape).

I have pushed the PR2's rubber into my share of corner slides but have been pretty impressed with the predictiblity of the way they push.

Having a tire slide doesn't shake my confidence.. How it slides can though.

Thanks for the review.

WW

Thanks for the review, Jeff. I was going to make the PR2's my next tire, but now I think I'll stick with the Roadsmart's again. This will be my 3rd set of Roadsmart's and I am fairly pleased with the performance and the mileage. However, the set on right now has a strange cyclic vibration at speeds above 80mph. I tried rebalancing the wheel, but it did not help. I guess it is just a tire that is not quite right, but not bad enough to cause too much concern. My first set did not do this.

That was a terrific review and very entertaining read. Thank you for taking the time to share it with us. I like the fact that you have presented a riding style continuum of sorts so we can see which tire might be best based on our particular needs / riding style.

Thanks again.

Turn-in is silky smooth and predictable. The PR2 is probably one of the most linear turning tires I’ve ever encountered.So we’re now down to the bottom lines. Here’s my advice, Tour with the Michelin PR2. Sport with the Dunlop RoadSmart. Rumble with my old faithful Pirelli Diablo Strada.

Like most everything in life, you have to give something up to gain something else. Set your expectation needle along the scale between Sport and Touring. It should land on one of the three brands/positions mentioned above.

The Mich PR2 compromises my self-confidence and moves my concentration from negotiating the road and the what's ahead, to a focus on early, hard braking and making damn certain I don't make a mistake in the upcoming corner. The Mich PR2 will definitely give up before reaching the limits of the FJR. On days when my mental and physical abilities are good enough to match the bike, the PR2 leaves me unsatisfied. Now that I'm older and used to be faster, I can't afford to pass up one of my good days just to gain some tread life.

HaulinAshe
Jeff, I just got back from EOM on my first trip with a full set of Roadsmarts. I rode as hard as I have ever ridden on the street on this trip. I was still feeling great on the bike with the Roadsmarts under the most severe conditions, including gravel. I have never felt a tire on a sport tourer that felt this good and confidence inspiring. I love it but it does appear it wore a lot on this trip, not surprising considering how hard I pushed them.

Ed

... Curious where you would slip the Avon Storm into that lineup?
I would lay it just underneath the RoadSmarts with a slight adjustment to the Touring side. Guess that means I need to do a graphic.

Jeff, I just got back from EOM on my first trip with a full set of Roadsmarts. I rode as hard as I have ever ridden on the street on this trip. I was still feeling great on the bike with the Roadsmarts under the most severe conditions, including gravel. I have never felt a tire on a sport tourer that felt this good and confidence inspiring. I love it but it does appear it wore a lot on this trip, not surprising considering how hard I pushed them.
You'll find that the RoadSmart front wears at a very rapid rate when compared to everything except the POS Bridgestone BattlAx front.

It takes some consideration and getting used to the RoadSmart front wearing at almost exactly the same rate as the rear. No more 2-rears to 1-front when you are running RoadSmarts.

Very good review, although a little dissapointing, in that I just put a set of PR2s on my blackbird. I really like them on the FJR, so I thought they would be good on the Honda. Guess I will have to do more riding to see.

Allright, I'll throw in my stupid question of the day.

I LOVE the feel of the 021. I must be in that small percentile that does. They have been the most confidence inspiring tire for me, but then again I was riding a bike that was setup like a pogo stick, right? :)

Now. I HATE the oddball wear of the front. I'm going to need a new tire since mine got burnt up on the way home from EOM and I have considered trying a different brand. So I guess my question is this:

How do the Roadsmarts compare to the 021's? Handling wise, wear wise, etc. I thought at one point in time you had put a spreadsheet up comparing the tires you have run. Just curious man.

Oh, thanks AGAIN for setting my suspension for me. I'll let you know how I really like it once I get some new skins on the bike.

Thanks for the review Jeff. Glad the PR2's have your "stamp of approval"! I just wish my local dealers supplier had the fronts. I had to use a PP2 on the front of my FJR. Hope the fronts lasts.

Tom

Tour with the Michelin PR2. Sport with the Dunlop RoadSmart. Rumble with my old faithful Pirelli Diablo Strada.
May I ask you what did you mean by 'rumble'? That graph you mentioned would help A LOT :dribble: . And would like your input on where the Z6 fits, which is like a sister to the Strada. There's a new one just out, called Z6 something.

Finally, if you care to opine on best tire for my riding style, here it is: ALWAYS change tires in pairs. No hard acceleration but cruise fast (near the ton), and need lots of slab to get to twisties. Ride twisties very aggressively (bike is set up for max cornering clearance), but at the pace, which means (to me) avoiding touching the brakes (I like to lean, but not race corner to corner, to enjoy the scenery). And yes, fine gravel in curves is common.

Basically a sport-oriented tire with maximum middle life for the slab, so guess the PR2s are out. By the way, the stock Z6s held their own on my first trip last week just fine (38/40 solo, 155#), but might not last too long. Seems like I'm a candidate for a 'dual-compound' tire, but don't know if there're any yet. Longest lasting tire so far was 5K miles on the Stradas (BMW K1200RS), which is acceptable to me, but if something else lasts longer, all the better. Loved the Conti RoadAttacks, but ate them in 4K miles (middle) on the BMW too. Worst tires ever were the D220s, by the way. I'm very easy on the tires, except riding fast, and still wear out tires in the middle first (lots more slab than twisties). Would appreciate your comments, since I haven't tried the newest rubber (Avon, Dunlop, Bridgestone, new Z6, etc). Thx.

JC

Thanks for a great review Jeff, I think you've biased me toward the Roadsmarts. I still have the stock Metzelers and don't like them much, although they are showing almost no wear at 3K miles. How do the Roadsmarts compare to the stock Metzlers?

thanks for your post and review.

After the stockers which lasted me 6K (the back had a little life the front was gone) I decided to go with the Strada and Strada E due to the FORP (foreign object recovery period).

This was last Feb or so. Well, almost 9K miles later I think it is time to replace them. I have not seen the belt yet but I think it is close. In inspecting them I also see I picked up a small nail or something in the rear. Looks are deceiving because they look like they can go more but given thier history I'm going to park it and take my cruiser to work.

I was leaning towards the PR2s until I read your post. I wanted to try something where I could get very good mileage. I don't consider myself an aggressive rider as I came over from cruisers and not sportbikes but I need to feel confident that when I do push it if by choice or emergency, my tires will perform well. So after reading this I ordered another Strada and E for the FJR from SWmoto.

Again, thanks for posting. Hopefully the new set lasts me another 8.8K of which half was 2up riding.

So if anyone wants to update the spreadsheet floating around -

Strada Front - 8,815 miles with 48% being 2up and fully packed. Front shows more wear than rear.

Strada E Rear - 8,815 miles with 48% being 2up and fully packed. Rear show more of a flat spot than front.

99% with side cases and Yamaha topbox. Laptop in briefcase in topbox.

If I get around to it, I will take pictures and post.