Michelin Pilot Road-2

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice review on the PR2's and it mirrors my experience with Michelins on high hp machines. Have you had a chance to run any Avon Storms on any of your sickles? Believe it or not, my high hp ZRX really liked the Azaro SP/ST combo and I could not break the rear tire loose any way, any how...

One of my last "test rides" on the PR2s, was in low 70s temps, dry conditions, and a 400-mile day of twisties. I too thought about the warmup period being a factor. But that day did not change anything and warmup could not have been the factor.

Roads along the right coast are definitely made of different stuff. That's one big reason we are so adamant about finding tires that yield mileage. I can run much softer tires out west and get the same kind of 8,000 mile lifespans that many others speak of. Around my home, 4,000 is about average.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great report Mr. H.A! :clapping:

Me thinks I don't ride as hard as you do, therefore think the PRII's are the cat's meow. I normally don't hit 2nd gear exits at WFO, I travel 6 miles daily of chewed up DG dirt road with ugly rocks sticking through. Since I'm in much better health than you, I CAN wait for a set of sticky tires because my 'good' days may come more often than yours? LOL, what a bunch of El Toro Poo-Poo I just wrote! :rolleyes:

Jeff,

Thanks for this write up on the PR2's. Your reviews of all the other tires you have reviewed have been spot on with one exception IMHO. The Strada's for me have been Da Bomb! You were right on when you posted that their life span on the east coast is very short. I have read your past reviews on the Z6's and again, your opinion was very accurate! This latest review of the PR2's has made my list of tires to try, number 3 right after the Road Smarts. The Pirelli Diablo Stradas E series are #1 for sport riding nirvana.

Your contributions to the forum are most appreciated!

Keep up the good work,

V.

The EOM was some of the best riding ever. I still have the Bridgestone 020s on the bike. They are shot after 11,000s and the last 5 days at EOM. It is the first time I have cornered hard enough (or had enough of a corner to lean) to scuff to the edge of the rear tire.

I'm not as aggresive as the faster riders at EOM but I am getting more comfortable.

At 9000 miles on the 020s on the way to EOM I noticed a slight wabble if I took both hands off the handlebars while traveling at 40 to 45mph. After 4 days of the hardest riding I have done the tires look worn. On the way home with about 11k miles on the tires the wobble was there at 60. I know the tires are being replaced in the next week.

I talked with a 2up rider at EOM and he raved about the PR2s.

I'm deciding between the PR2s and the roadsmarts. I wont be riding that hard again until I get to WV again.

Thanks for the review.

One of my last "test rides" on the PR2s, was in low 70s temps, dry conditions, and a 400-mile day of twisties. I too thought about the warmup period being a factor. But that day did not change anything and warmup could not have been the factor.
Gentlemen, we need to stop the grousing and arguing. Jeff's posts have always been an adequate gauge on how the tires perform. As with all things "FJR", much will depend on your particular style and the roadways you normally travel.

As a person who also wore out a set of BT 021s in 3500 miles (WFO last year), it is sometimes difficult for me to find the balance between tire life and performance. I will say that I have slowed down a bit and I'm enjoying the "touring" side since my "incident" on the KLR last August but, unfortunately, there is still some of that "explore the fringes" left in me.

The PR2s are working for ME but YOU may not have the same results.

I quote another FJR forum member who shared a bit of wisdom with me: "Tires are a wear item. Try them all and find what combination works for you." Thanks, BikeEffects, that has proven to be a valid and wise perspective.

There probably isn't a collective "best".....only an individual best option.

As always, this was a great tire review. I love my PR2's, and probably fit in the 85% category and the guy that is a bit more tourer than sport so these are working well for me. I have a little over 4K on mine and they still look brand new. Look forward to more write ups, thanks. B)

Gentlemen, we need to stop the grousing and arguing. Jeff's posts have always been an adequate gauge on how the tires perform. As with all things "FJR", much will depend on your particular style and the roadways you normally travel.

As a person who also wore out a set of BT 021s in 3500 miles (WFO last year), it is sometimes difficult for me to find the balance between tire life and performance. I will say that I have slowed down a bit and I'm enjoying the "touring" side since my "incident" on the KLR last August but, unfortunately, there is still some of that "explore the fringes" left in me.

The PR2s are working for ME but YOU may not have the same results.

I quote another FJR forum member who shared a bit of wisdom with me: "Tires are a wear item. Try them all and find what combination works for you." Thanks, BikeEffects, that has proven to be a valid and wise perspective.

There probably isn't a collective "best".....only an individual best option.
AMEN

Thanks Mr. Ashe....I just got a set of them pr2's off the ups truck and can't wait to ride on them. I never go near the upper limits of the fjr but would like to say "thanks to you for giving us some sound analytical information as per the pr2's". My wheel popping/peg scraping days are long gone!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ashe speaks truth.

My PR2s were installed just before EOM, and after chasing Jeff & Jason over Rt 311, I concurr that they're an 85% tire for the FJR. At hard lean, they just get a little gittery. So long as you don't push into that remaining 15% of the FJR's abilities, they're wonderful.

The rear is a great 2-up tire...nice and stiff. At 2400 miles today, I can tell this will be the longest treadlife set so far; they look practically new. If you're not a peg scraper, these are the tires for you, hands down. However, if you play MotoGP on the weekends, the Roadsmarts will serve you better.

I mounted a set on 8/16 and have 4800 miles on 'em...all slab. You can tell they have worn, but not as much as you would think under that type of use. The last 150 or so miles were on WV 60 and WV/VA 311 and I felt that they could have been a little more confidence inspiring in hard turns. I agree with Jeff, there was a lot of hard breaking to set up for a turn. I am not as experienced as Jeff , but I felt I could run faster with the BT020's even though the front left some to be desired. I agree with someone's assesment that they take longer to warm up as I have broken the back loose soon after heading out in the am and in the rain.

I bought them with a long trip in mind and was not diappointed in the least.

Thats a sweet review. I really appreciate that Jeff takes the time to document how tires are performing for him; especially when he probably goes through more tires in a year than I will in five. This gives the rest of us some insight to what is really going on with the tires in the real world. I have been going back and forth between PR2s and Roadsmarts for my next set of tires. I was leaning towards the PR2s because I was under the impression they had excellent grip. Jeff's revelation that they may break loose when pushed hard has changed that idea. I will probably go with the Roadsmarts. Again...Thanks for the insight.

Jeff, keep up the good work.

I and many others (from the comments on this thread and others) appreciate your research efforts and the time you take to intelligently document your results.

I have a lot of fun riding and I'm not a corner slider (on purpose, at least), but I appreciate objective, real world info on products. From your info on this thread and others, I'm glad I've got a set of PR2s waiting to be mounted as soon as the OEM Z6s are ready to be "re-tired."

Dave

Thanks for the great review. That is very useful information. The PR2 was one tire I was looking at but given the price, it would have to of had a very positive difference over my beloved Storms to get me to switch. What you describe would be a step down from the Storms based on my riding. Storms it is, and Storms it shall be for me. Now if I could just finish off the god awful 021 I've got on the front (emergency replacement of a Storm I toasted due to a valve stem failure). That 021 is the worst tire I've ever had on a bike, period.

Gunny regarding the great review. I'll stay away from the PR2, not necessarily because I push the bike all that often, but I do occasionally go past 85%. Well, that and the mental aspect of Michellins for me. I low sided my FZ1 a few years ago while taking an aggressive turn on the street. I was running Pilot Powers and had the bike good and leaned over. The peg was scraping but I still had a little bit more in reserve. All of a sudden the rear tire let go...and it was instantaneous. After sliding a few yards down the road I brushed myself off, checked myself out, picked the bike up and looked back at the intersection to see WTF happened. I saw no gravel, paint, pavement irregularities or anything else that might have caused the rear to let go so suddenly. Rider error? Yeah, but I would have preferred a little warning - the rear stepping out, instability in tracking, chattering of the rear, SOMETHING! I'm sure a better rider would have been able to escape unscathed.

After that incident I just can't trust a tire from Michellin. Irrational? Sure, but the end result is that for me I don't want or need the mental distraction of not trusting the tire. Even if they are made from dfferent compounds with different contruction techniques in different factories I just can't bring myself to put Michellin donuts on my bike. :dntknw:

I completely agree with the review. I have 9,000 on my PR2s. SFO, a trip to NorCal, NAFO and a few jaunts back and forth across IA on the slab, these tires have never left me feeling worried. They'll last me the rest of the riding "season" and I'm really tempted to go with another set. Although, as MadMike2 pointed out, I might just try something else....

Nah, I'm on the slab too much :(

I have just over 11K on my PR2's, and they have at least another 1-2K left in them. I have no plans on replacing them this season (unless I can squeeze in an unplanned trip) but when I do replace them, it will absolutely, positively be with another set of PR2's. For me, they have been the best tire I have found so far, period. :yahoo:

Thanks for the review, Jeff. Please be sure to let us know when you have the PR2's longevity figures. This post has impeccable timing: 10k on my set of PR2's and I'm debating whether to give the RoadSmart's a spin or stick with the Michs.