Michelin Pilot Road 4 - GT version?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't speculate on the difference between GT tires and non-GT, but I can tell you that I've put almost 14,000 miles on a pair of PR4-GTs. Front is cupping a bit, but rear looks like it will last another 1,500 miles at least.

For the record, I ride like a grandma but I ride a lot.

danh600, thanks for the feedback.

Like yourself, my wife has her own bike so I don't ride two up and rarely heavily loaded, appreciate your comments.

Just curious though, how many miles did you get out of that set of PR4-GT's before you replaced them? I saw your reference to the replacement timing due to an upcoming trip but was wondering if the wear bars were getting close too.

Thanks!!

14000 miles with the same tire... Wahou, for me it's max 8700 miles...

You guys know, all the GT version does is spec a stiffer side-wall, right? That makes absolutely no difference in tread life, consequences of a blow-out, or who requires a GT tire, unless serious weight is a factor. None of the departments I am involved with specify GT tires on any of their bikes. All of these tires, GT or not meet requirements for the FJR.

Where do you guys come up with this stuff??

Talking with agencies using the bikes and, in some cases, their driving or motor instructors. While a stiffer sidewall doesn't affect tread life, it can affect tire performance in a deflated tire. With bikes like an RTP or FJR, when is serious weight not a factor? But it's interesting to hear none of the agencies running motors around Albequerque, nor their equipment providers, see the need for run-flat or GT tires. For non-service bikes, it's insurance few will ever benefit from, to be sure. I haven't run a GT or a run-flat since I replaced the set on a police model I bought used. It was a California CHP compliant (at the time) bike, but spent it's entire duty life in Florida. It came complete with sand in the airbox.

Last edited by a moderator:
FXRS - I got 6,000 miles out of the original front tire (BT023)? It was gone.

I replaced it with a PR4GT and got close to 12,000. It was gone also. Done to the wear bars.

Back tires - I got around 8-10k out of the original.

I got around 12k out of the PR4GT, but it still had some miles. I was going on a long trip that included hot interstates. I didn't want to chance it. I bet I threw 10% of that tire away.

I have to do a lot of flat riding in Florida. My rear tire tends to flat spot and wear out in the middle. I keep 42psi and check it before every ride. The front tires tend to wear out just where the harder rubber in the middle transitions to the softer compound. The center and out side of the tire still has tread.

danh600, thank you for the additional data points. A lot of different variables go into the equation for how well a tire lasts but is always interesting to see how folks did.

I replaced my OEM Bridgestone BT023's at 6,875 miles. The front (38 psi) was right at the wear bars and was cupping somewhat. The rear (42psi) was not quite to the wear bars but somewhat squared off. Most likely from some high mileage freeway spurts on a Michigan-Ontario-NY-Boston round trip. At home mostly have curvy two lane roads.

These got replaced with my current PR4-GT's. Only put on about 1,900 miles before the snow flew but sure felt great. I'll report back my experiences/mileage on this as time goes by. Fyi, I've been running F-41 psi, rear 43 psi on these.

I'm hoping to take a fairly long getaway trip this spring so appreciate the tire life feedback!!

I am going to have to look back to get exact numbers. I don't think I am getting the same mileage out of the non-GT

tires. I got very good life out of the GT version, you can see the post above.

Looks like I am going to get about 75% of that on the non-GT. Maybe the stiffer sidewalls on the GT makes the tire heat up less and wears better? No idea, but I will go back with the GT next time.

I don't notice any difference in the handling, but am willing to pay the difference to get that extra few thousand

miles.

I bought the standard PR4 for my 14A, and it is correct that the GT is noted specifically for the FJR and other ST bikes. The ST 1300 with the 18' front can only get the GT4 as the standard is not offered in that size. I really like the feel of the Michelins on my FJR and they provide more confidence in the turns and a smooth ride.

My rational is that the PR3's worked really well on my ST1300 so I think the standard 4's will on my FJR.

Note, My front Brigstones were at the ware marks at 4700 miles, but the rear still looked good for another 3-4K. The Dunlops on the ST were terrible and caused road vibration in the turns at 6K miles and the PR3 were still looking good at 6K when I sold the bike for the FJR.

My contribution to the NEPRT!

I've seen that comment before; people that have worn out the front stock tire before the rear, and that they only got ~5k miles from that front. I'm guessing that these are people that are inflating the tires to the Yamaha recommended 36 psi Front and 42 psi rear?

I ran the stock tires at the same pressures that I did all of the tire on my 1st Gen FJR: 40 psi Front and 42 psi rear and I got nearly the same mileage from them as I normally do: ~8k miles rear and 12k miles front.

If I were one who liked to change both tires at the same time (which I am not), I would try to find a front pressure somewhere in between 36 and 40, maybe 38 is the magic number?

I just bought a set of GT's from JakeWilson. There's another set (PR3) ahead of them, but I figure I'll get to them soon enough and enjoy them as I ride through the second half of winter and next spring. I wore out the fronts usually before the rear when I had a habit of braking into turns. Now, having broken that habit, and with regular reckless accelerative abandon, I see a little less mileage in rears than I do fronts. 40/42 all the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suspect that the GT's stiffer carcass (love that word) will flex less and maybe lengthen tread life. If the rubber in the contact patch were subject to stretching and/or twisting as the sidewalls flex, wouldn't that eat off the rubber a little faster?

Just speculating ..........

On any given tire, heat and friction account for the wear rate. Active sport riding with lots of speed and direction changes, creates a lot of heat and friction; slabbing not so much. Rider and luggage weight, as well as high temperatures and high friction surfaces (chip seal) also have an effect. The mileage comparisons on the forum are a mix of tire characteristics, pressure maintenance, rider weight and riding style. YMMV and probably will.

On any given tire, heat and friction account for the wear rate. Active sport riding with lots of speed and direction changes, creates a lot of heat and friction; slabbing not so much. Rider and luggage weight, as well as high temperatures and high friction surfaces (chip seal) also have an effect. The mileage comparisons on the forum are a mix of tire characteristics, pressure maintenance, rider weight and riding style AND ROAD SURFACE, AS PER YOUR SENTENCE ABOVE. YMMV and probably will.
Edited...

On any given tire, heat and friction account for the wear rate. Active sport riding with lots of speed and direction changes, creates a lot of heat and friction; slabbing not so much. Rider and luggage weight, as well as high temperatures and high friction surfaces (chip seal) also have an effect. The mileage comparisons on the forum are a mix of tire characteristics, pressure maintenance, rider weight and riding style AND ROAD SURFACE, AS PER YOUR SENTENCE ABOVE. YMMV and probably will.
Edited...
I think that is the final word! Print.

-30-

.. and I went out on them tonite. Super confident in the grip, the second I left the driveway. I have some pretty good roads near home and pushed it as much as I do on my FZ1s, no issues whatsoever. No surprise for me - I love Michelin rubber.

Just put on the PR4 GT on my 2013 and wow! HUGE difference from the stockers. These tires are positively GLUED to the street and I have no fear leaning the bike over now.

Well worth the extra cash. I'm PR4 for life now.

Four days of TN/NC twisties and I have to say they felt as good as Pilot Powers on my FZ1s. Just hope I get some life out them..