Michelin ROAD 2 problem?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RTSR1/FJR

Gort - Klaatu barada nikto!
Reaction score
I've been running the Road 2's for a while and noticed something strange considering the mileage. First I have approx. 3500 mi. on these. Front is set and maintained @ 40 lbs. and rear @ 42 lbs. because we are loaded most of the time. We ride mainly 2 up with bags and trunk. Always have. I've noticed a buzzing whenever you slightly lean the bike off center lately. I took a closer look at the tires today and discovered that they are wearing oddly. On the rear, about 1.5" from center, the rain sipes are wearing prematurely. Leading edge is fine measuring 5mm in depth, but the trailing edge is approx. 2 mm. less. Center is fine, not flattened out at all. At first glance, they look great. When rolling it out of the garage you can actually feel it in the tires. The original ROADS didn't do this till after 6000 mi. and a definate flat center had appeared. If this is how these are going wear, I'll have to find something else! Just wondering if anyone has had the same experience? BTW tires are in balance!

Last edited by a moderator:
RTSR1,

I have the PR2's with similar mileage with none of the problems you are mentioning.

Perhaps a fluke bad build?

Hope you find the solution.

Hey Rt, I also have PR2's with about 3K on 'em and they are wearing just fine. I have no compaints except they arent as good in the wet as my old Avons...more fun though !

Keep us posted and be careful out there.

Blessings,

Bobby

I've noticed a buzzing whenever you slightly lean the bike off center lately. something else! Just wondering if anyone has had the same experience?
I thought I felt the same thing for a short while. It went away on it's own and never changed the way the bike handled.

I figured I needed to spend more time away from the slab.

I'm running 40 front & 42 rear for pressure. I know it's dependant on load and everything, but if you guys could tell me what your running for pressures, I'd like to see!

I've been running the Road 2's for a while and noticed something strange considering the mileage. First I have approx. 3500 mi. on these. Front is set and maintained @ 40 lbs. and rear @ 42 lbs. because we are loaded most of the time. We ride mainly 2 up with bags and trunk. Always have. I've noticed a buzzing whenever you slightly lean the bike off center lately. I took a closer look at the tires today and discovered that they are wearing oddly. On the rear, about 1.5" from center, the rain sipes are wearing prematurely. Leading edge is fine measuring 5mm in depth, but the trailing edge is approx. 2 mm. less. Center is fine, not flattened out at all. At first glance, they look great. When rolling it out of the garage you can actually feel it in the tires. The original ROADS didn't do this till after 6000 mi. and a definate flat center had appeared. If this is how these are going wear, I'll have to find something else! Just wondering if anyone has had the same experience? BTW tires are in balance!
I recently heard of a problem with the PR2's when running loaded and/or 2-up that apparently prompted Michelin to come out with a "B" spec model, mostly in the U.K. for now. Seems the original model wasn't designed for heavy bikes. I haven't researched the issue yet. The story I heard was that one on a U.K. forum had a blow-out and Michelin replaced it.

It sounds much like the Diablo Strada saga and ensuing "E" spec tire. Great. Another tire I'll find nearly impossible to spoon onto the rim due to sidewall stiffness.

This could be a related issue. I need to call Jeff at HP Cycles to see if he knows anything about it yet. I'll report back....

Did you get these on my group buy, or outside?

I recently heard of a problem with the PR2's when running loaded and/or 2-up that apparently prompted Michelin to come out with a "B" spec model, mostly in the U.K. for now. Seems the original model wasn't designed for heavy bikes. I haven't researched the issue yet. The story I heard was that one on a U.K. forum had a blow-out and Michelin replaced it.

It sounds much like the Diablo Strada saga and ensuing "E" spec tire. Great. Another tire I'll find nearly impossible to spoon onto the rim due to sidewall stiffness.

This could be a related issue. I need to call Jeff at HP Cycles to see if he knows anything about it yet. I'll report back....

Outside. I've had them for a while. 4-5mo.?

My PR2's have around 3k and have no symptoms....

Except they are the best tires I have ever run!!!

I run 42/42 also...

WW

I purchased from HPCycles, Sept. 2007, on Ebay. This was the first shipment Jeff got from Michelin.

My set of PR2s have almost 9000 miles of fantastic norcal roads. I run stock pressures and don't check them that often. Only added a pound or two a couple times. Tread depth is 1mm above the wear bars.

When I ride 2up, the bike carries about a 525 pound load with no problems. I've done short burnouts and triple digit peg dragging. Maybe they like the abuse. :rolleyes:

I noted in another post that I had ordered a set of PR2 from MotoXoutlet and only rec'd the front, and when I called they said the back ordered rear was not supposed to ship till mid-late July. I put a PR2 rear into my cart at Motorcycle Superstore last week to match the front one sitting on my porch and today it is on indefinite backorder. Wonder if there is a problem with them?

Got pics? My PR2 front is wearing a little wonky and I get a riding-on-knobbies feeling below 5 mph. Back tire is wearing wonderfully.

RTSR1,

Sounds like a typical shock rebound adjustment issue. Common on track tires. Here's a description from Dave Moss's feelthetrack web site:

SHOCK REBOUND TEAR:

When the shock rebound adjustment is incorrectly set on D.O.T. tires, the tread pattern will show cupping on the leading portion of the pattern with a raised edge followed by a low spot immediately behind it.

I have the same issue on a set of Pirelli's on my track bike after a day at Laguna yesterday. Need to pull out Dave's DVD to remember which way to go on the rebound adjustment.

Good luck.

Gary

RTSR1,
Sounds like a typical shock rebound adjustment issue. Common on track tires. Here's a description from Dave Moss's feelthetrack web site:

SHOCK REBOUND TEAR:

When the shock rebound adjustment is incorrectly set on D.O.T. tires, the tread pattern will show cupping on the leading portion of the pattern with a raised edge followed by a low spot immediately behind it.

I have the same issue on a set of Pirelli's on my track bike after a day at Laguna yesterday. Need to pull out Dave's DVD to remember which way to go on the rebound adjustment.

Good luck.

Gary
I've seen/experienced rebound problems at the track before. No cupping or low spot wear at the leading edge or just behind it, just shows wear from approx. half to trailing edge of the rain sipe. No tearing or feathering (raised edge) occuring. I would expect it if I was ham fisted all the time, but pillion keeps that under control! Haven't even seen any really good twistys to speak of with these tires! Like said above, Feels Wonky! lol I loved them till I started getting this buzzz! I'll see if I can get a pic of it.

Got pics? My PR2 front is wearing a little wonky and I get a riding-on-knobbies feeling below 5 mph. Back tire is wearing wonderfully.
That description sounds exactly like my Avon Storm fronts, and I was going to try the PR2 next to eliminate that problem. Damn...

I went against the normal thought here and dropped pressure to Yamaha spec's: 36 front and 38 rear and took it for a ride. No more wonky feel! Not convinced that over inflation is the problem though when others are running 42F 42R. Here's a pic of the rear. Best I could do tonight. Doesn't really show it like it is.

P5270001a.jpg