Mileage On The Oem Tires?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I replaced my BT020's at 6500 because I was leaving on a long trip. Probably had another 1000 miles left in them.

I seem to be fairly easy on tires compared to those I ride with.

Mine made it to 9300 miles. Do doubt airing them up to 42/42 as recommended by WC increased the longevity. Besides, slicks are great as long as the pavement is dry. :D

'bout 7500. Rear to the wear bars, front cupped but quite serviceable. Avons much nicer, restored confidence in turns, smoother at speed, more predictable in 9/10ths mode.

Last edited by a moderator:
From what has been posted here already, you get a 'general' sense that the stones should last you about 8000 miles on average. My rear was at the wear bars at 8K in the center, front replaced at 8.5 K mostly because of the cupping mentioned previously. As you didn't indicate how spirited you may ride, YMMV considerably. If you're on it all the time and use mostly the SPORT side of the FJR personality, don't count on anything close to 8K miles. If your using mostly the TOURING side of the FJR, the rear center will get to the wear bars at around 8K miles, possibly more.

BYW, I agree that the Avons would be an excellent choice for replacements, unless you got an in with somebody in the business.

At 7700 miles the front tire had slight cupping and a fair amount of tread left. The rear tire was very worn in the center. When I noticed another layer of rubber starting to show through in a few spots it was replaced the next day. Ran 42/42 from day one.

I guess that's about average for milage, but it caught me by surprise anyway. It's less than a year old and the bike sat for almost five months during the winter. My old bike would get two years out of a tire. But then I didn't ride it as hard, fast, and far as I do this one. It sure loves to get up and go...

The rear lasted 6000 miles and was toast. I ditched the front at 7500 because of the cupping and crappy handling at that point. Im on my third set ot Pilot Road rear / Sport front. I get about 6500 from a rear and 8000 from a front. YMMV! :D

I got about 9,000 miles on the rear before I changed both. But that was when the bike was new and I wasn't pushing it that hard.

Just about the same as most of the above post. I got 8500 out of the rear and 9500 on the front with excessive cupping...,broke in the new Avons today and they are aces.

Vstar2FJR

use mostly the SPORT side of the FJR personality, don't count on anything close to 8K miles
Absolutely. I reckon 4,000 miles/ 6,000kms and the good old (rear) Stones are toast if you let the right wrist have its way. And this is not just the Feejer.

My "old" K-RS would get the same mileage out of her BT56s if you could only spell the word "sport" but not "tourer".

Oh well, 2 buds of mine with brand-new K1200Ss both got 2,000 miles out of their Metzeler M1 190s. This tire is as supple as licorice :rolleyes: and gives you great grip but .. man... at what cost!

I guess both paragliding and bike riding were never meant to be the most economical and sensible way to go from A to B anyway... :)

Stef

PS: All tires mentioned here were discarded while still showing street-legal tread :beee:

Last edited by a moderator:
5771 mile on the 'stones, and they were toast. Click on my web page link below for pics. Very happy with the Avons :D

I'm due for a front tire soon. Has 8700+ and a fair amount of cupping. Gonna take a long trip in August...will have a new front by then.

My OEM's are brand M. I just turned over 9K yesterday. They are looking a little ragged, but the rear is not down to the bars yet. New tread on order, though. I may try to stretch the old ones to 10K before the change. I ride on the tour side of sport. Getting more used to the sport idea, but working up slowly.

Was a little surprised to get 48 mpg over the weekend cruising around, too. Nice!

Was a little surprised to get 48 mpg over the weekend cruising around
FJRocket,

so there is a 6th gear on this blessed bike!? :bleh:

Stef
Whether there is a sixth or not, I sure spend a hell of a lot of time trying to find it. :blushing:

7277 on mine. Rear just to the wear bars, and the front had mild cupping. Happy now with Stradas.

I got 16/12/9000km on my first 3 sets of BT020s (rear). I wonder if the Bridgestone quality is flagging or I'm getting more

aggressive in my old age. :) Fronts usually last me another 4-5000kms.

A perfectly good 12,178km tire ruined by a puncture:

14449535-L.jpg

It's amazing how they go from "I've got a few more thousand km left" to "Ooops" at 9526km when you're pushing them a bit

hard on chip seal country roads.

27043032-L.jpg

I've got Avons on now but I doubt they will be as long lasting. I've got 5000km on now and I was hoping to be able to run

them until I get to Las Vegas in Sep (another 5000km).