Militaries, civilian MWR lodging?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobG

Reaction score
Does any one use the militaries, civilian MWR lodging when traveling on the bikes?

Any good recommendations?

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends on where you're going. They also vary wildly from place to place. As a general rule of thumb - Air Force good - Marine not always so good (but motivating as hell!!) - Army/Navy somewhere in between! Try searching online - there's also a military lodging (sp?) booklet published; you can get it in most exchanges/PXs but probably not easy to find out in town.

To more directly answer your question, if your travels take you near a military base and you aren't looking for luxury, military base is ok.

After camping, a shower and a cot is fine.

I have not had any problem using the facilities before, just never as a civilian.

I'll get the booklet whenI I'm near Luke.

Thanks for the info.

Well Bob, having thought of this while I was working out, military facilities aren't open to "civilians." If you're active or retired military you're good to go. If you're a government (federal) civilian you may be able to use the facilities. In that case you might have to be on "official" business. Sorry if I mislead you, sometimes I read a post too quickly and answer likewise. I "assumed" you were retired military or the like. Heck, call one and ask them who can use the facility.

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a good ISBN to search for 0914862901

Some parts of the book are outdated but I still find it comes in quite handy to save money while on the road.

Temporary Military Lodging Around the World

BobG,

They used to be a real good deal, basic rooms for $8-$12/night. But more and more, they have gone to "price matching" the local economy. The MCCS (USMC MWR) here (MCAS Beaufort) charges around $60 a night, which is right about where local hotels start. You can save a few bucks, but for me, it usually isn't worth planning a trip around these facilities.

wr

Here's a good ISBN to search for 0914862901Some parts of the book are outdated but I still find it comes in quite handy to save money while on the road.

Temporary Military Lodging Around the World

Bob, One thing you may want to check out also, especially in the summer, is lodging on college campuses. Alot of colleges will rent out dorm rooms for under $20.00 a night. You usually have to book in advance though which doesn't always work for everyone. I'm not much of one for camping but I also don't like to have to be in certain place on a certain night so I'm usually relegated to getting a motel. In Canada they have A LIST of different places to stay....something to keep in mind when you take that trip to Nova Scotia.

Bob, if you don't mind, what civilian's are authorized MWR use? Couple of us here at work were trying to figure it out.

Thanks.

Keep in mind that DOD Installations require ATGATT. Brights in daylight/ Reflective at night. Some gates are strict on this, others not so much...BTW-White Sands Inn on Eglin AFB is sweet (Ft Walton Beach, FL).

I'm active duty (USAF) and use MWR facilities if they're available in the area I'm traveling. When my wife and I visited San Francisco a few years ago, we stayed at a Navy lodge about 25 miles south of the city (don't remember the name). We visited Pisa, Italy last fall and stayed at the Sea Pines Lodge on Camp Darby. Visited a few others as well...

I agree with Jim..the USAF usually has the nicest facilities. The Navy lodge was pretty decent ($37.50/night)...though the Sea Pines lodge was a bit rough...price was good though and I was able to park the bike right outside the door.

ScrapeApe is spot-on with the riding gear...pick up an inexpensive reflective vest and you'll be good to go...just in case. I wear an Icon MilSpec vest...good stuff.

I am not familiar with the regulation.

Does the color matter, Orange or yellow? Does the passenger need one also?

I am not familiar with the regulation.Does the color matter, Orange or yellow? Does the passenger need one also?
At least on Navy bases, both operator & passenger require "brightly colored vests" color does not not matter.

Entire instruction can be viewed here

Quoted text below is a small part from the motorcycle section.

b. Motorcycle Equipment

(1) Motorcycle and ATV operators shall ensure headlights are turned on at all times while the motorcycle is being operated on base except where prohibited by military mission or Status of Forces Agreements.

(2) Government or private motorcycles shall be equipped with a rear view mirror mounted on each side of the handlebars or the left and right side of the fairing.

(3) The following personal protective equipment (PPE) is mandatory for all persons described in paragraph 5a of this instruction while operating or riding as a passenger on a motorcycle:

(a) A properly fastened (under the chin) protective helmet certified to meet U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) standards. If the host nation does not have an equivalent helmet standard, the helmet will meet the U.S. DOT standard. Fake or novelty helmets are prohibited.

( B) Properly worn eye protective devices (impact or shatter resistant goggles or full-face shield properly attached to the helmet). A windshield, fairing or eyeglasses alone are not proper eye protection.

© Properly worn long-sleeved shirt or jacket, long- legged trousers and full-fingered gloves or mittens designed for use on a motorcycle.

(d) Sturdy footwear is mandatory. Leather boots or over the ankle shoes are strongly encouraged.

(e) A brightly colored outer upper garment during the day and a reflective upper garment during the night. The outer upper garment shall be clearly visible and not covered. Military uniforms do not meet these criteria.

I am not familiar with the regulation.Does the color matter, Orange or yellow? Does the passenger need one also?

The vest I wear is orange, with highly reflective material plastered in different places. Color doesn't seem to matter...though most are either yellow, orange or green. If your regular riding jacket is "bright contrasting colors" and has ample reflective material for increased nightime visibility...there is no need for a "construction worker vest". My Belstaff and Tourmaster jackets are not "bright/contrasting colors"...so I wear the Icon vest. In Italy, I like wearing the vest because I stand-out more...look a bit like a motor cop...folks are more obliged to move over and make extra room...

I've never had an issue with my wife not wearing a vest as the passenger...which makes zero sense. If she is not wearing a vest, then what good does my vest do to increase visibility from behind? Not a damn thing!

In 5 years of riding on/off different bases...I've only had one security controller tell me I needed to put on my reflective vest...it was in the middle of the day. At the time, I was wearing a bright red/black jacket. I explained how my jacket met the intent of "bright contrasting colors" according to the regulation and the security controller let me on base...no problems. Sometimes you're not so fortunate...

Here is a link to the USAF reg...keep in mind that each base may have a supplement that adds to the basic regulation. My limited experience with Army & Navy bases has shown that if I'm good to go by USAF requirements...then I'm good to go by Army & Navy requirements too...

Paragraphs 12-14 are relevant...

https://www.e-publishing.af.mil/pubfiles/af...7/afi91-207.pdf

Funny, on the USMC base at Quantico you need to wear a reflective vest. You can be riding your Harley in shorts, sandels, and a t-shirt, but you better have a reflective vest or you're not getting on base!!

I am retired military and often plan my trips around the bases that are on my path. As far as I am concerned the MWR has ruined many of the bases due to there high cost. In Sierra Vista at Fort Huachuca the MWR charges about $50 per night .. but Motel 6 just outside the base is about $25. Many of the bases you can still stay at for $20 or so .. I remember staying at the Navy base in El Centro, CA for $4. So somebody is 'shafting' the government .. because any TDY folks at these bases get charges the MWR prices .. and that get's billed back to each sending agency.

OK .. off of that .. one thing that nobody has mentioned here is the Family Camps that most bases have. The Fam Camps are usually pretty nice and cost is minimal .. usually around $5. There are directories at most PX's that have all the bases listed and what they offer. I would much rather stay on a base at a Fam Camp because it is more secure .. at least I feel that way.

I use the base almost daily here in Tucson .. and you have to have all the gear .. ankle high boots and if a dark coat .. a vest over it that meets the 'bright color' thing. My Joe Rocket yellow mesh coat qualifies in the Summer as bright enough per this base. Be aware though .. each base has it's own requirements.

Al Maurine

Tucson,AZ

Be aware though .. each base has it's own requirements.
+1

My post above may be the rules as written, but they can vary significantly from base to base, region to region or service to service.

Even then if the rules do apply, will the gate guard know them, enforce them, or...

YMMDV (your mileage may definately vary)