mirrors

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chief

Reaction score
I know lots of guys are using R1 mirrors to se better behind but because i do a lot of lane sharing to and from work the mirrors are too wide for the narrowed lane in our local construction zone. Any idea's :bye: :construction:

As long as they can fold back without trouble, you might fold them for the construction zone then open them again after you leave it.

dobias <_<

Actually, odot may have a point. If you make the stock mirrors any narrower, you would have to be a stick figure to see anything behind you.

Any narrower and you won't be able to see anything, so they might as well be off.

To answer your question, I don't have any ideas on how to make the mirrors more narrow. Have never seen that topic come up before.

You do know that you can fold them in right? Maybe try that?

..i do a lot of lane sharing to and from work the mirrors are too wide for the narrowed lane in our local construction zone...
Lane sharing in a construction zone with narrowed lanes?

I'd say apply peanut butter to the mirrors as you might be nuts. :wacko:

folding the mirrors may work but I would rather be able to keep eye's on the traffic behind and along side. I may be nuts to some but this is how I choose to get around. :D :D :lol:

Add a stem mirror to the existing mirror mount hole on the handlebar just for construction zones, then you can fold the regular mirrors. You could even drill & tap the other side if you want two mirrors.

dobias <_<

I say go with peanut butter.....or, fruit loops is my next suggestion. Otherwise, you may put some mirrors on your helmet if you wear one....but that is a whole topic in itself.

I know lots of guys are using R1 mirrors to se better behind but because i do a lot of lane sharing to and from work the mirrors are too wide for the narrowed lane in our local construction zone. Any idea's :bye: :construction:
Actually, I think they're FZ-1 mirrors, available from Gary Mc Coy at University Motors (866-551-6478) for about $92.00 shipped or about half that price for aftermarket ones on eBay. If you don't like tweaking stuff you should get OEM, as they'll stay folded in better when sharing lanes. I went cheap and modified them by drilling out the rivets and adding a bolt with two nuts jammed together to improve the tension when folded. Before they would unfold themselves due to vibrations. Not very convenient when negotiating a traffic jam.

I've thought about adapting bicycle mirrors, tiny circular mirrors put close to your eye, to my helmet. Someone sells such a device but they look like alien antennas. I worry about folding the mirrors ever since I broke the press-fit system of cheap Emgo mirrors.

Well, you are going to have to design something, patent it, sell it, make a cool million....then get sued for making people go crosseyed ....ala....steve martin.

The OEM mirrors aren't much wider than the widest part of the bike. They are your early warnings that you'd just tried to push an #8 wire through a #14 hole.

Since I am counted amongst the "wide bodied indivduals" and only see my shoulders and some daylight with the stockers, I vote a hearty Yeah for the FZ-1 mirrors. Now I can actually see behind me...and I split lanes in commute traffic, albeit carefully and wisely, but never in construction zones where the lanes are narrow and the cagers are distracted. Uhmmmm, YMMV!

I dont consider myself a widebody (6'0"", 180 lbs) but I have the FZ1 mirrors and love them. The stockers were good for checking out my elbows, not much else. Got them from Gary McCoy at University, about $90 delivered. Very sturdy and fold in nicely when they have to.

FJReady

The FZ1 mirrors are a tremendous improvement over the stocks. I bought mine from Gary McCoy at University Motors in Fargo, ND also. He has best price by far. You have to be able to see directly behind you to be safe -- the stocks don't allow it for a normal size rider.

Get em -- you'll ride with less stress!!!

....ummm.....guys. The subject of this thread is NARROWER mirrors. Can we keep it there? The FZ1 aren't narrower--they're wider.