Mission Impossible SS1K

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This route will add a few miles, but you'll have a much better chance of avoiding traffic tie-ups by staying out of downtown LA and avoiding I-5 until the carpool lanes start at the 91.
Good luck!
I shaved 10 or so miles from my original route in San Diego, so its a wash.

Thanks for the route tips. ;)

Skyway, you might run this route by Mike Kneebone related to IB rules about a receipt/datetime stamp at each turn point. your route has lot of turnpoints. Maybe the close ones to each other are not required. Just a suggestion to make sure you will not be disqualified.

Dave

Skyway, you might run this route by Mike Kneebone related to IB rules about a receipt/datetime stamp at each turn point. your route has lot of turnpoints.  Maybe the close ones to each other are not required.  Just a suggestion to make sure you will not be disqualified.Dave
Good point, I sent it off for evaluation.

Sky, is this going to be a solo endeavor or possibly a group activity? :)

Also, how do you manage to make the map routes? I'd like to be able to pick my own route and find out the mileage but the regular sources I use ask for starting and finish points and make their own route (not always the best either).

I created the route using Microsoft Streets and Trips 2005, which I got at Costco for $15.00 or something. All of the CA Missions are on the map. Once you have them plugged in, its just a matter of selecting which roads you want to ride.

It doesn't hurt to have the great membership here watching your back in Socal either. ;)

I created the route using Microsoft Streets and Trips 2005, which I got at Costco for $15.00 or something.
Thanks for the tip, got it tonight (2006 version, $14.99 after rebate).

Skyway, you might run this route by Mike Kneebone related to IB rules about a receipt/datetime stamp at each turn point. your route has lot of turnpoints.  Maybe the close ones to each other are not required.  Just a suggestion to make sure you will not be disqualified.Dave
Well folks it looks like this ride is a go after talking with one of the many nice peeps over at the IBA. Just have to keep good records at turnaround points.

Skyway, I was wondering what was up with this one .... Good to see that you're doing it.

Please PM me with the date and expected finish time and place - I'd like to show up and meet you and your co-pilot, as well as TurboDave ! (assuming I'm in town, that is ! ) In fact, we may be able to put together a crowd ? Any takers out there?

And you've got my number on the FJR assistance list - don't hesitate to call me if you need anything.

Shiney Side Up !!

Please PM me with the date and expected finish time and place -  I'd like to show up and meet you and your co-pilot,  as well as TurboDave !  (assuming I'm in town, that is ! )  In fact,  we may be able to put together a crowd ?  Any takers out there?
I would imagine that the end point arrival will be before 6 am Sunday, 5/7. Any later would be cutting it a bit close. Not too many of us would be up for a parking lot party at that time of week.

Well folks it looks like this ride is a go after talking with one of the many nice peeps over at the IBA. Just have to keep good records at turnaround points.
I've done some thinking on this issue. I mean, "Wha's up wit dat?". Is there some faction of evil bike riders who constantly scheme to falsify a certified ride and steal all the fame and glory that comes along with completing one? To me, it falls into the 'cheating at solitaire' category. Who gives a rat's ass if you want to go through the trouble of faking it. I mean, do I need to fasten my Iron Butt license frame on with tamper-resistant hardware or some shit?

But really, wouldn't the submission of the planned route and collaboration of start/end witnesses with their witnessed odometer readings suffice? Maybe the IBA needs to send along an expert chaperone with a certified odometer to keep you honest. If I were going along, I probably would have a hard time spending my coin to get the verification from them. I did it. If I can't prove it, so what?[/seinfeld soapbox]

Well folks it looks like this ride is a go after talking with one of the many nice peeps over at the IBA.  Just have to keep good records at turnaround points.
Skyway,

Wouldn't it be kinda cool to snap a photo at the Mexican border as part of the ride? How'd that be for good records at a turnaround point?

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe I should have explained this a little better. The point of verification is that when your name gets added to the "Certifed IBA Ride' list, it means that every ride in there is for real. No room in there for armchair wannabes who claim they did it, if you 'ain't listed there, you probably didn't do it, or failed to provide sufficient evidence.

Here's the reply to my concern of turnarounds.

The basic rule is that you need to demonstrate you rode the ride you

claim, so you need to document it to the extent that it is obvious

you did so without taking an meaningful shortcuts. If there is a way

to obtain a receipt at or near those places, that would do it.

The easier you can make it on the verification team, the quicker the

ride gets certified.

Skyway,  I was wondering what was up with this one  ....  Good to see that you're doing it. 
Please PM me with the date and expected finish time and place -  I'd like to show up and meet you and your co-pilot,  as well as TurboDave !  (assuming I'm in town, that is ! )  In fact,  we may be able to put together a crowd ?  Any takers out there? 

And you've got my number on the FJR assistance list -  don't hesitate to call me if you need anything. 

Shiney Side Up !!
Hal, Not knowing exactly what time we plan to arrive might be a little tricky to plan a get together. The finish is planned at TurboDave's home, which his neighbours might not appriciate so early in the am. Once we get there and tidy up the paperwork, I plan on finding a good breakfast joint nearby, and if you want to join me there, you're more than welcome.

I guess I should point out that there is a plan for several peeps to join us on this ride, so it will be an interesting experience.

Well folks it looks like this ride is a go after talking with one of the many nice peeps over at the IBA.  Just have to keep good records at turnaround points.
Skyway,

Wouldn't it be kinda cool to snap a photo at the Mexican border as part of the ride? How'd that be for good records at a turnaround point?
This will depend on how we're making for time. I was planning a posterity photo stop at the Golden Gate Bridge though with SFO as the backdrop.

I'm glad to hear the IBA has OK'd the ride. :cownoy:

Hi Folks!

Myself, Toecutter and Bluestreek are setting off this morning, so if you see us along the route, GET THE HELL OUT OF OUR WAY! :D

GOOD LUCK and RIDE SAFE!

If you need assistance in my area you have the numbers..Call.

dcarver

I know there were 2 or 3 of you waiting to greet them today (TurboDave, TWN, zzkenoman). Did they arrive safely? Wassup wi duh 411?

[SIZE=12pt]"MISSION IMPOSSIBLE"[/SIZE]

Mission Accomplished.

I met up with Skyway, Bluestreak, and Toecutter this morning at 07:45 - and they did it ! Everyone safe - no LEO love notes.

I'll let them post the ride reports, but I heard about lots of traffic, slow averages, etc. This was certainly NOT a slab based ride.

I arrived at the meet point just after they did - Patrick, their IBA witness showed up (I didn't get his last name) - and signed the witness sheets. I'll let them tell you about a little problem with the final gas receipts.

We all went across the street for breakfast - then they headed for a hotel and a little nap.

Three Tired Guys. I got the impression this wasn't an easy ride - more like a rally than a SS1K. I'm thinking this should become a sanctioned IBA ride.

They're all heading back home this afternoon once rested. I imagine we'll see ride reports soon.

:clapping: :yahoo: :clapping: :yahoo: :clapping: :yahoo: :clapping: :yahoo: