Modified My Rear Seat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SacramentoMike

Not Safe For Work
Reaction score
My PIF is a rear seat from a Gen 1 FJR.
I'm thinking a spare rear seat would be useful to cut away most of the padding and to use as a mounting location for extra gear and supplies carried on a long trip. Would make tying it down easier and more secure.
The quotes above were copied from the "Pay It Forward" thread recently. I thought I'd report on that mod I did on Roger D's old back seat. Just wound up a two-week camping ride with a big bag of gear strapped down behind me on the lowered seat. Bulky with sleeping bag, tent, pillow, ground pad, coffee pot, and everything else. My Rok Straps just barely had enough length to go around the bag, after I removed the cover and cut away almost ALL the foam--just stapled the cover back on and it looks "almost normal." But without it, it would have been an almost impossible stretch, plus the bag would have kind of been balanced on top of the seat like Snoopy lying on the doghouse roof instead of snuggled into the pocket nice and securely.

The "good" seat is back on now, but I'll save that modded back seat for all future trips. Worked great!