modifying stock exhaust cans

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joelio

Reaction score
Anyone had any luck modifying the stock cans? I really like the look of the stock cans best after much research and browsing. I just don't like the stock sound as it's a bit hushed for my tastes. I kicked the old cats out last week and it's a bit more deeper but still not enough. A co-worker suggests drilling through the little holes in the end and into the back baffle. I'm affraid of doing this and making it sound like an old 80's bike with a bunch of wrotten exhaust on it lol. Any tips/suggestions other than going aftermarket?

Anyone had any luck modifying the stock cans? I really like the look of the stock cans best after much research and browsing. I just don't like the stock sound as it's a bit hushed for my tastes. I kicked the old cats out last week and it's a bit more deeper but still not enough. A co-worker suggests drilling through the little holes in the end and into the back baffle. I'm affraid of doing this and making it sound like an old 80's bike with a bunch of wrotten exhaust on it lol. Any tips/suggestions other than going aftermarket?
Go to whaccessories-Irfan sells a set-up that you drill out the current baffles and use his inserts. I did it to my '05 and was really pleased with the sound-like slip-ons, but stock. Much cheaper than slip-ons.

Go to whaccessories-Irfan sells a set-up that you drill out the current baffles and use his inserts. I did it to my '05 and was really pleased with the sound-like slip-ons, but stock. Much cheaper than slip-ons.

https://whaccessories.com/images/MeissExhaustKitFJR.jpg

Yes. I have heard these and they do sound good. For $260 or so w/ shipping a pretty good deal compared to a pair of slip-ons. But I still swapped my OEM cans for a pair of carbon fibers and lost quite a lot of weight from the bike. Those stainless stockers are HEAVY.

Last edited by a moderator:
Karmak,

Have you found any sound files or You Tube videos w/sound with the Meissner inserts? Also, could you tell from your installation if the original inserts could be reinstalled in the same way that the Meissner kit was installed?

nwrider1

Yes. I have heard these and they do sound good. For $260 or so w/ shipping a pretty good deal compared to a pair of slip-ons. But I still swapped my OEM cans for a pair of carbon fibers and lost quite a lot of weight from the bike. Those stainless stockers are HEAVY.

Damn Yankee's and your guns.... I was actually thinking of hiding a piece of wood in there and letting my pet beaver goto town...

Karmak,
Have you found any sound files or You Tube videos w/sound with the Meissner inserts? Also, could you tell from your installation if the original inserts could be reinstalled in the same way that the Meissner kit was installed?

nwrider1

I haven't heard any sound files-

>You would not be able to use the original baffles once drilled out-it can make quite a mess out of them. If you can do it with a drill press, you'll be better off-you've got to drill pretty straight and you want a high speed drill. The bit and oil is included with the inserts. I drilled mine while still on the bike, but you have to be steady. You'll also get quite a bit of metal shavings that will need to be removed. I shook most out and also used a small magnet to get the remainder of the small stuff out.

>I don't know of any discounts, but Irfan is very helpful. You may have a bit of trouble with his accent until you get used to it.