Mods for an 06 FJR AE

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gytr_r1

Reaction score
Guys,

I thinking of trading my 05 R1 (+20RWHP over stock...) on an FJR.

My reasons primarily revolve around the pillion seat (my missus hates the high n dry R1 seat, and lack of things to hold on to). I've only ever had sports bikes, and am finding the FJR a joy to ride.

What I am looking for is to increase torque. What exhaust recommendations would you make? I am assuming that a high flow filter and PCIII will be on the cards, but are there velocity stacks available?

Basically the bike is a trade off, something I can enjoy hooking through corners with, and something I can also enjoy with my partner.

BTW I assume that race tech or someone makes replacement fork and shock interals? And yes, I did do a search...

Thnks in advance

I own an R1 as well as an FJR. You will not find many "hop-up" parts for the FJR but you will find that the power band is very linear and strong. Not brutal like the R1, but still fun to ride. I have slip-ons and a Power Commander on my FJR but these mods are for looks and sound and driveability. There is a slight performance improvement, but not a great deal.

BTW I assume that race tech or someone makes replacement fork and shock interals? And yes, I did do a search...
Yes. Race Tech does have improvements. Wilbers has springs. A number of companies have rear shocks.
Muzzy, Walker Holeshot and possibly Staintune {not sure} have full exhaust systems. You'll need a PC3 to go with them.

Most of the efforts, short of a complete exhaust swap, will only net minor changes in power/torque ratings (maybe +3 hp). What you get is a smoothing of the power curve and, if done right, this is across the board.

Slip ons and a PC3 will run up against the cat/con wrt to sound and air flow.

Throughout any changes, keep in mind it's an FJR and not an R1. There are significant differances and no amount of tweaking will turn the FJR into an R1.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies guys.

Another part of the reason for the swap was I took the R1 in yesterday for TPS replacement (warranty recall) and whilst at it, thought I'd test a coupleof bikes. The MT-01 and the FJR.

I have a nasty little virus that won't clear for another 12 months (Ross River Virus, which causes severe arthritic swelling amongst other things, and given to me by a caring mosquito, which comes and goes at will) and riding around on the FJR, for 1/2 the day, I realised I was grinning again at just riding. The R1 is a great bike, but riding from home to the twisties is just plain painful, and the grin factor doesn't come into it until you're in midst of chucking the bike around.

I found the FJR destroyed my pre-concieved ideas about it. I assumed it would be a bus, you know, comfy, but rediculously hard to throw through a corner. The whole time I had it, I was comfortable and grinning despite the bloody infection running at the moment. And very neutral especially when chucing it through stop/go sweepers. I realise it will never produce the HP that the R1 has, nor the torque of the MT-01, but falls in between both rather well.

I did play with the suspension, and found it a bit sharper (again I know it won't handle like the razor that the R1 is) and could change line mid corner without upsetting it too much.

When I jumped back on the 1, I found all the aches instantly returned, and it felt like sitting on a plank. I never noticed how close the clip ons were to each other, how hard the seat is, how much weight was on my wrists... in 20 years of riding, I have never owned anything other than sports bikes (FZR 750, 1000 etc). I have toured on sports bikes (biggest trip was 6000 km, done in 5 1/2 days) thus have never really tried any other mode of transport. Oh what I have obviously missed out on!

Thus, today I am going to trade the R1. It's a sad day in a way, I mean I have about $9,000 of go-fast and handling bits hanging off it, but to me the FJR makes more sense. You get to enjoy he ride to the twisties, without worrying about loosing your license, because the fun simply is in being on top of a comfy bike, and then enjoy the rush of hard baking and acceleration. Albeit not quite as quickly as on the R1.

BTW, anyone have recommendations on tyres? Has anyone tried Diablo's or Pilot Powers or Bridgy BT002's on the bike? I would assume they would go off due to the additional weight of the bike (vs. litre bike) but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

It is a brave new world I am entering here guys!

Thanks again

Another part of the reason for the swap was I took the R1 in yesterday for TPS replacement (warranty recall) and whilst at it, thought I'd test a coupleof bikes. The MT-01 and the FJR.

I have a nasty little virus that won't clear for another 12 months (Ross River Virus, which causes severe arthritic swelling amongst other things, and given to me by a caring mosquito, which comes and goes at will) and riding around on the FJR, for 1/2 the day, I realised I was grinning again at just riding. The R1 is a great bike, but riding from home to the twisties is just plain painful, and the grin factor doesn't come into it until you're in midst of chucking the bike around.

I found the FJR destroyed my pre-concieved ideas about it. I assumed it would be a bus, you know, comfy, but rediculously hard to throw through a corner. The whole time I had it, I was comfortable and grinning despite the bloody infection running at the moment. And very neutral especially when chucing it through stop/go sweepers. I realise it will never produce the HP that the R1 has, nor the torque of the MT-01, but falls in between both rather well.

I did play with the suspension, and found it a bit sharper (again I know it won't handle like the razor that the R1 is) and could change line mid corner without upsetting it too much.

When I jumped back on the 1, I found all the aches instantly returned, and it felt like sitting on a plank. I never noticed how close the clip ons were to each other, how hard the seat is, how much weight was on my wrists... in 20 years of riding, I have never owned anything other than sports bikes (FZR 750, 1000 etc). I have toured on sports bikes (biggest trip was 6000 km, done in 5 1/2 days) thus have never really tried any other mode of transport. Oh what I have obviously missed out on!

Thus, today I am going to trade the R1. It's a sad day in a way, I mean I have about $9,000 of go-fast and handling bits hanging off it, but to me the FJR makes more sense. You get to enjoy he ride to the twisties, without worrying about loosing your license, because the fun simply is in being on top of a comfy bike, and then enjoy the rush of hard baking and acceleration. Albeit not quite as quickly as on the R1.

BTW, anyone have recommendations on tyres? Has anyone tried Diablo's or Pilot Powers or Bridgy BT002's on the bike? I would assume they would go off due to the additional weight of the bike (vs. litre bike) but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

It is a brave new world I am entering here guys!

Thanks again
I have both an '03 FJR and a '04 R1. I bought my FJR for many of the same reasons you are. I find myself riding the FJR more than the R1 these days due to some aches and pains of aging and from previous crashes during my racing career. Not to mention the wife likes it much more also. She won't ride on the R1 now. lol I still do track days with the R1 so it keeps the miles off it also, but the FJR is not as fun. You can't compare the two. They both do what they're designed to do very well! The FJR handles good, but not great, and the R1 is shit for touring and doesn't carry a pillion very well! So the trade offs are worth it IMO. I think if one had to go, it would be the R1 unfortunately! :( I love that bike! That's the price for maturity I guess! lol At 53, I wonder when full maturity happens though? lol

At 53, I wonder when full maturity happens though? lol
It doesn't! :lol:

<snip>I found the FJR destroyed my pre-concieved ideas about it.

1.) You have been assimilated! See, resistance WAS futile...

2.) Avon Azzaro's seem to be the tyre of choice by the Long Distance crowd. I have Diable Stradas on mine at the moment with a set of Pilot Roads in the garage awaiting their turn.

BikeEffects has made the most poignant statement yet, "Tires are a wear item. Why not try them all?"

If you go to the "Never ending" threads heading you are sure to find many tire discussions there.

I have a Diablo on the rear now. I lost a Strada on a trip due to a nail and the regular Diablo was all I could find. So far, the Diablo seems to be wearing as good as the Daiblo Strada EMS. I have about 3400 miles on it now. Rear tires generally don't last me more than 4000 miles but I did get 4400 off of a Strada, but it had cord showing when I took it off. I had no intention of running it to that point, it just took me by surprise.

Everyone has their preferences for tires. The ones you listed would probable make it around the block before needing replacing (very soft). :)

I've had the BT020's, 2 sets of Pilot Roads, a set of Avons ST45/46's. My next set will be another set of PRs. They seem to wear better for where I do most of my riding. The Avon's turn in a little more quickly while the PRs tend to not be upset by roto-milled surfaces as much. Trade offs on 2 different products that are very close to each other in general. I get a little more life out of the PRs, so that's why I'm going back to them.

At 53, I wonder when full maturity happens though? lol

I saw a shirt that pretty much says it all: "I may have to grow old but I never have to grow up." At a very young 62, I agree with that statement.

'05 K1200LT

'04 FJR1300

'98 KLR650

'90 DR 350

And a V-twin riding mower.......closest I'll ever come to owning a HD!

Well the deal is done. I now have a silver 1300AS in my garage, and have just come back from a run up one of my favorite twisty bits :yahoo:

The only thing I found is that it seems to have inbuilt chicken strips... scraped the pegs an awful lot, but it isl still oads of fun., It's the first time I've ever been able to pull from corners and stay below 4500rpm and still rocket along! :D

Thanks for the info and advice so far... undoubtedly I'll have more questions as I come to terms with this bike (I still can't belive it weighs 100kg (or 220lbs) more than the R1 when wet, and yet handles so well!)

Cheers