Modular helmet or solid..which do you prefer?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjrsochs

Reaction score
Bought my IS-Max HJC four years ago. It worked great below the speed of light on my WeeStrom but my speed enhanced FJR is significantly noisier. I'm 6feetmtall and the windshield is just tall enought to send wind into my modular's buffeting zone. It's time for a new helmet anyway as my current one is fidgety in every moving part and total disintegration inside. I rode last night whiteout my helmet and the difference in noise is well..... What I'm saying is with the windshield in its highest position without my helmet I can hear the satisfying hum of the motorcycle more than wind. I dropped my head about an inch and it's totally quiet, Goldwing like, car windshield level.

Any chance a solid, tighter fitting helmet will help with the noise and vibrations. After riding for four years, I realize the helmet I purchased is a size too large. I came to this conclusion because using my current helmet and a hoodie, the vibrations from buffeting cease. So, I'm sure once I have a tighter fit, some part of my riding experience Will be upgraded. The budget won't support Shoei or Arai this time. Tried on a CL16 HJC and an Icon Torrent. Both fit snugly. How the heck can I get my bluetooth stereo headphones in side without breaking the helmet? My headphones aren't made for helmets.

I am running with the stock windshield Was thinking of getting a laminar lip but maybe a new helmet will upgrade me in comfort and noise-if not a modular. I love the modular helmet because of the flip down sunshade, the ability to get sun on my whole face at times(while breathing a face full of fresh air)

1. Will the noise lessen with a solid body helmet?

2. What do you wear?

3. I have the 05 with no heat modification so I like having a lot of air on my body.m is there any suggestions for a windshield that will also help with the noise?

4. Will a cheap solid helmet reduce the noise? 200.00 HJC or Scorpion or Icon? If not, I'd just replace with another IS-Max.

Thanks!!!

Disclaimer: this post was not created to support a modular vs solid war of any sort.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my experience the solid, full face is usually a bit more quiet. Usually, but not always. For myself, I prefer the modular so I can open the face and get more air when I'm at low speeds. I'll take a little extra noise for that.

Incidentally, I have the IS-Max.

Get your head measured to insure correct sizing. Right size usually feels real tight at first which sometimes causes folks to buy the next size larger.

Get your head measured to insure correct sizing. Right size usually feels real tight at first which sometimes causes folks to buy the next size larger.
Yes good advice my IsMax helmet is an extra large and it shakes around my head. I'm pretty sure I need to have a large. Tried one today.

In my experience the solid, full face is usually a bit more quiet. Usually, but not always. For myself, I prefer the modular so I can open the face and get more air when I'm at low speeds. I'll take a little extra noise for that.

Incidentally, I have the IS-Max.
Perfect thanks. Congrats on your new bike.

I use an Arai XC 3/4 helmet and always ride with reuseable ear plugs from walgreens they are very comfortable I also have a Cee Baily 2+2 windshield. I do not ride slow and wind noise is never an issue.

This is such a totally individual choice it has a good chance of ending up in NEPRT-land, as in "I have a ____, and so should you." But there are some generalities you can think about.

Fit. If it's too loose, it doesn't protect your noggin right, or so I hear. If it's too tight, you'll have a headache after an hour. Or two. Or half an hour. Ditto if it's the right size but the wrong shape. Comfort is awful important.

Quiet. More or less important, depending on whether it's more or less important to you. You can use earplugs, but maybe sacrifice hearing horns, sirens, or conversation when you stop. You can affect the noise level by what you use for a windscreen, but big, quiet windscreens might offer less comfort in hot weather, for one thing.

Convenience. I like to open the chin bar of my Shoei Multitec at every light if it's warm, even sometimes just on quiet neighborhood streets. I like to be able to talk to somebody without pulling off my helmet when I stop, or want to ask directions or something. That goes for me hearing them, and them hearing me. I like to be able to take a drink while I'm riding, and I don't know how I'd be able to do that with a full-face. I like not having to remove my helmet when I stop for gas, although I guess you could leave a full-face helmet on while you pump gas. It would bother me, but then I feel a little claustrophobic inside a FF anyway. Maybe you don't.

I wear glasses and have big ears. I don't really like pulling either of them off when I try to take the helmet off and on. Think about that one too. (Same for sunglasses, if you don't wear specs to see with.)

See? Simple decision.

I've become a fan of the Bell lineup. Look around and you'll find some great discounts on prior year models.

But the key is fit. Try on a bunch of different helmets and note which ones fit the best and then correlate that to your head shape using webbikeworld. This will give you a starting point.

Helmet design can reduce buffeting. So can windshields - the stock FJR windshield is about as bad as I have had, on par with a Cee Bailey's +4. Thus .. give some thought to that as well.

1. Will the noise lessen with a solid body helmet?

2. What do you wear?

3. I have the 05 with no heat modification so I like having a lot of air on my body.m is there any suggestions for a windshield that will also help with the noise?

4. Will a cheap solid helmet reduce the noise? 200.00 HJC or Scorpion or Icon? If not, I'd just replace with another IS-Max.

Thanks!!!

Disclaimer: this post was not created to support a modular vs solid war of any sort.
I had an old Bell with the somewhat pointed face and a Shoei worth three times the price. The Shoei was a much better fit but a lot noisier; go figure. Both were solid. I now have a Scorpion 900 and I will never go back to solid. I love being able to drink coffee while I drive or lift the entire front when I am at low city speeds to get some air. But there is a drawback: I find it horrendously loud with the windscreen down. It's also heavy (but not so much my neck or shoulders get sore and I do a lot of long distance riding) and far harder to do shoulder checks. The flip down sunglasses aren't all that great - a lot of glare. I usually ride with sunglasses. Finally, the intercom boom is a little awkward on a modular, especially if you keep the chin blanket in place. I can cope with the wind noise as I have a Cee Baileys windscreen with the reverse flip and I get the Gold Wing quiet you mentioned. I do think though when the windscreen is lowered, this reverse lip might actually increase road noise but I can't confirm that until I switch to factory, which I doubt I will do.

...and if you want the Pinlock system:

The origination of the Pinlock System:

The Pinlock Fog Resistant System was developed by Derek Arnold. Mr Arnold started the company in 1980 as a motorcycle accessories distributor in The Netherlands and in 2000 the company dropped all other business activities to focus on the development and marketing of fog resistant systems.

Pinlock lenses were introduced in Europe in 1997. The Pinlock lens was chosen as the best innovation of the year in 1998, beating out 1.000 other entries. With over 3.000.000 units sold in Europe, many of the major

Helmet brands offer Pinlock as a standard for their helmets. Brands include: Arai, Nolan, X-Lite, Lazer, Schuberth, BMW, Shoei and IXS.

https://pinlockusa.net/node/11

The invention of the Modular, or Flip face helmet was a godsend for me.

As it's well documented here, I drink too excess every chance I get.. This leads to projectile vomiting pretty much daily on the bike or off.

Now mind you off the bike isn't a big deal (except for the poor fuker behind me with his three kids and the windows down) however, the regurgitated beef and bean burrito in me helmet causes much consternation and gnashing of teeth on my part..

Not to mention driving in the wrong lane or ditches due to poor visibility. With the flip you puke towards yer lap but the windflow diverts it down.. Nobody get's last nights gin an tonic infused burrito on there windshield or kids! A fukin win win!

The damned full face shields just don't provide purge space.

So.. If you are a drunk like me? Buya flip and don't look back

I use a full-face Shoei RF1100, but I think I'd trade for a modular. Turbulence has a solution...fix it and get whatever helmet you want. For me the solution was the addition of a Laminar Lip to a 21.5" tall Cee Bailey shield. No turbulence, quiet at lower windshield settings and better angle of attack.

IMG_4223.jpg

This is such a totally individual choice it has a good chance of ending up in NEPRT-land, as in "I have a ____, and so should you." But there are some generalities you can think about.

Fit. If it's too loose, it doesn't protect your noggin right, or so I hear. If it's too tight, you'll have a headache after an hour. Or two. Or half an hour. Ditto if it's the right size but the wrong shape. Comfort is awful important.

Quiet. More or less important, depending on whether it's more or less important to you. You can use earplugs, but maybe sacrifice hearing horns, sirens, or conversation when you stop. You can affect the noise level by what you use for a windscreen, but big, quiet windscreens might offer less comfort in hot weather, for one thing.

Convenience. I like to open the chin bar of my Shoei Multitec at every light if it's warm, even sometimes just on quiet neighborhood streets. I like to be able to talk to somebody without pulling off my helmet when I stop, or want to ask directions or something. That goes for me hearing them, and them hearing me. I like to be able to take a drink while I'm riding, and I don't know how I'd be able to do that with a full-face. I like not having to remove my helmet when I stop for gas, although I guess you could leave a full-face helmet on while you pump gas. It would bother me, but then I feel a little claustrophobic inside a FF anyway. Maybe you don't.

I wear glasses and have big ears. I don't really like pulling either of them off when I try to take the helmet off and on. Think about that one too. (Same for sunglasses, if you don't wear specs to see with.)

See? Simple decision.

Wow Mike, you get hit it on the head. My IS Max is an extra large but it's too large for sure. And as you run down the list of amenities of having a modular helmet I'm considering more and I'll have to find another solution for the noise. I was considering getting a Laminat Lip anyway. Like you I wear glasses sometimes to a time and have big ears as well hearing problems. as you've mentioned the hassle of taking everything off just to get everything on that's enough of A hindrance.n however I'd love to have some kind of noise comparison between modular helmets per manufacturer.

So I guess I'll just update with the current IS max HJC helmet which is no different than the one I already own.

@Busta- man, if we ever ride, do,remind of this urge to purge somImcan be sure to ride in front.

@Tom, How tall are you anyway? Loving your 05 ABS. looks like you have a lot of toys on it

I'm 6-2 but only have a 32" inseam...all my height is in the upper body. I was tired of the noise until I got the LL installed. Made a huge difference for me. I can let the air hit the helmet, and the air stream is smooth and quiet, or I can deflect it completely over my head. The LL takes out the vortices that cause the noise and vibration.

I'm 6-2 but only have a 32" inseam...all my height is in the upper body. I was tired of the noise until I got the LL installed. Made a huge difference for me. I can let the air hit the helmet, and the air stream is smooth and quiet, or I can deflect it completely over my head. The LL takes out the vortices that cause the noise and vibration.

Makes sense, your leg position and knee angles are exactly like mine I'm 6 feet tall 32 inseam. So I guess I'll be getting a new helmet and laminar lip later. Thanks. I'd love to see a modular helmet shootout.

My current helmet is a Zeus flip up which I find to be well made and good looking for about $200. I have been using flip ups for 12 years for street riding and full face (of course) for racing. I really enjoy the versatility and convenience of a flip up as a glasses wearer. In general the flip ups are noisier in turbulent air but behind my Cee Baily +4 reverse contour shield at nose height, nice and quiet. Of course there are always ear plugs which were mandatory gear on my last bike. I wish more manufactures besides Arai would list their helmets by head shape. I have a long oval head and very few helmets fit me really well out of the box.

Quieter (from the 2nd line of the thread title) is via ear plugs. No helmet is quiet enough on its own to save your hearing. You don't sacrifice hearing important things around you because everything else is quieter, too.