Modular Helmet Recommendations?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since you have already picked up the helmets this may be a mute point, but may help others. When shopping for a modular helmet, be very careful that the locking mechanism is made of steel (like the Nolons). Many of the cheaper helmets have plastic and are much weaker. For the price and features, I think the 102 or 103 can't be beat. The only difference is they moved the visor from outside to inside, but it's a big difference.

Congrats and thanks for the initial review. After riding with the N102s for the last few years, I think the N103s will be a great upgrade, once the budget allows of course.

Well I love my Multitec but it does not have a removable liner. I made the mistake last year of putting my soaking wet gloves inside my helmet after a long ride and then placing my helmet in the side pannier. When I took the helmet out it had mold and mildew growing inside. I called Shoei and told them what I did and wanted to see if they could help me find a solution. They told me to take the helmet in the shower and use Johnson and Johnson's baby shampoo to clean it out. The smell has never gone away?
Thoughts?
Yes, try running it through a dishwasher but not at the hottest possible option. Try medium heat. Don't use soap, use Cascade. Don't let it go through the power dry cycle. Let the helmet air out completely before you try it on again (this might take a couple of days in a dry environment). Maybe shoot a bit of Fabreeze in there to give it that fresh winterland scent.

My dishwasher (Whirlpool) will take 2 helmets in the bottom section with the top rack removed.