More FJRs going down?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 cota95 and what others said. Riding your own pace is number one rule of "Riding The Pace". I have come from many years of cruiser riding and stepping up to the FJR is a big step. I feel riding the FJR is like learnig a whole new ballgame. One must not fall into the temptation of what this bike wants to do. I have found myself in over my head a few times, especially coming into a turn in the twisties and thankfully this bike has the demeaner to help forgive some mistakes. On the other hand it will lull you into this area also so one must stay within their own riding abilities. Reading up on the skills and going out to practice them by yourself and with others can help keep you on the right path....inexperience + too much power can have devestating effects. Ride the Pace. PM. <><

Last edited by a moderator:
My FJR philosophy:

As a very young man my Daddy said... "The day you lose respect for the motorcycle, sell it! Because it's about to kill you."

I try hard to NEVER forget those words.

---> "inexperience + too much power can have devestating effects.".

Experience + too much power can be just as devastating.

Lots of guys on this forum who have ridden many miles have gone down.

It can happen to anyone if you forget for a moment how unforgiving motorcycle riding can be when things go less than perfectly.

I offered this advice for the thread entitled "Please give us a safety tip"

My offering here is simply the same philosophy I have had since the early 1950s and have used while riding bikes, driving cars and flying aircraft, and other challenging events,

"If it don't look right, DON'T do it."

This has worked for me so far but life is full of "YETS".

I do agree with the several comments that the FJR is probably the most powerful and fast bike most have ridden. It is all those attributes to me and at my "VINTAGE" age, I will never ride either of my FJRs to their maximum capability.

Some opinions: Motorcycling is not an "indifferent" activity (especially riding sport bikes or sport-tourers). If you aren't actively pursuing becoming a better rider (and, you can do that for a long time) -- you risk becoming passive and then (maybe?) on the receiving-end of situations (traffic & otherwise). The FJR is not an easy/lazy motorcycle -- despite the smooth-running engine and decent ergos. It has a lot of horsepower and a lot of mass two problems: mass, especially, for changing speed or changing direction.

Bottom line: the FJR just may not be for everyone (or, even, a lot of riders?). It's sad when riders are injured or worse for mistakes in self-assessment of their riding ability -- and..., mistakes in selecting skill-appropriate machinery (and, there are alot of other great bikes available). Often, they're smaller, tho -- and that seems to be a real problem, nowadays? Statistically, riders get older and bikes get bigger. Bigger ain't necessarily better. Size does matter -- but, not the way you think..... :eek: :blink: :p

Getting down from soap-box, now.....

As offerings to the motorcycle gods I sacrifice blocks of cheese. Cheddar.....Pepper Jack.....occasionally Gouda.

It has worked 100% and I have never been in a motorcycle accident.

Go get yourself a baby loaf of Tillamook and fondue pot ASAP!

Iggy....do you often go about trying to curse yourself in front of the unforgiving motorcycle gods? :blink: ....man I love the way your willing to throw the dice like that :lol: ....

As offerings to the motorcycle gods I sacrifice blocks of cheese. Cheddar.....Pepper Jack.....occasionally Gouda.It has worked 100% and I have never been in a motorcycle accident.

Would those cheeses go well with my recent "whine"...?I 'spose you may be right Iggy? When one's number comes up -- one's time's up.

It's FATE...! :dribble:

As offerings to the motorcycle gods I sacrifice blocks of cheese. Cheddar.....Pepper Jack.....occasionally Gouda.
It has worked 100% and I have never been in a motorcycle accident.

Cheese? That won't work. The MC Gods are 80% Harley Custom Riders. They want Booze during pit stops and ugly skin defacment (tatoo's) to make them happy. The other 20% of those gods want blood - thus the R1 and # of MC accidents that are really bad or fatal :assassin: