More Lights?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't use the PIAA's but I have a set of Phillip HID's under my mirrors and Moto lights mounted on my forks. At idle they will start to dischrge my battery because there isn't enough charge. I only use one set of lights at a time. I generally run with the Moto lights all the time. I'll only throw the HID's on when I'm at cruising speed on dark twisty roads with no traffic around to blind. As long as you don't sit idle for long periods of time you'll have no problems running both lights.
I'm on a BMW R1200GS Adventure which puts out quite a bit more juice...720 watts at 14volts vs. 590 watts at 14volts. I've not noticed a problem yet, though I'm gonna mount a ammeter to keep an eye on that, just in case. I've run the Fuegos, GPS, and heated gear (jacket liner, pant liner, and gloves) all together and haven't run into a problem yet...key word being "yet".
Also, don't forget that our bikes make all that power at certain RPMs and up. Running too much stuff at idle on any bike for too long a time is going to cause issues. Running stuff at 4000RPM is a different story all together.

I want a set of lights, but those Fuegos are HUGE. They put out bitchen light though. One of these days, I'll get with Jackson or someone and get my light situation set up. I just gotta figure out where that dammed money tree is growing.