Most Excellent Gadget Display and Mount

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe a winter works project. Make a form out of a big block of Styrofoam and use that as a mold for fibreglass. Should be fairly easy to conform to the shape of the instrument cluster. Just a lot of messy work with a shaper/rasp/sandpaper etc. All one unit so should be waterproof. Metal front panel hinged so it could be dropped down to access the innards. Hmm...

I do believe I have seen this before on this forum. Maybe like 3 or 4 years back?
I would love to see a close-up and figure out how difficult it would be to build. I would see if I could put the Zumo front and center and do a bit of an overhang to help shade the screen. A Datel on one side and switches/heat-trollers on the other. Satellite radio antenna on top. Might be interesting to mount a Fuzeblock inside and have the whole works attached with heavy duty velcro (plus a safety strap) and some sort of multiplex connector so it could be pulled off the bike when parked overnight somewhere. Wonder how much room you could make inside without hitting the windshield?

Ross
The big trick here was how the guy got the panel over the gauges to conform to that shape. The top, front and sides are easy, matching it to the bike is the trick. I'm working on someting else related to conforming to the bike's shape and it's not easy
Not that hard for me to do, now if I only had a reason. I am thinking FM stereo with speekers. I would realy be Bad Ass pulling up next to the Hardley's.

(HeHeHe) :ph34r:

Dave

Nice looking addition for gadgets. Looks similar to an installation on a 'wing from a year or two ago. Don't remember what exactly the topic was, but there's a thread buried here somewhere...

--G

piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiifffffffffffffffffffff

6676473013_e1d2d780f0_z.jpg

I do believe I have seen this before on this forum. Maybe like 3 or 4 years back?
Your right I remember reading how he work for a company that sold water jets, all the fancy cuts are easy once you have the program. It took some time to figure it out I'm sure no time for the water jet to cut it out.

1336700099[/url]' post='961693']Nice looking addition for gadgets. Looks similar to an installation on a 'wing from a year or two ago. Don't remember what exactly the topic was, but there's a thread buried here somewhere...

--G
Do you mean the guy with the FLIR screen and about a hundred switches?
blink.gif

-worney

Creating the front plate isn't that difficult. A low tech approach is to take a photo of the cluster with a ruler in the frame, then print the photo at lifesize using the ruler as a guide. Now you have a template of the bottom contour of your gadget box.

He said in that post that he would keep the bike until he dies. I hope he is ok. He last checked the site yesterday, so maybe his ghost? :rolleyes:

All,

Thanks for the kind words on the dash fabrication. Yes I did say I would keep the bike forever but as in life interests change and opportunities come up. While I truly loved the FJR my wife was not a huge fan of the passenger accommodations. No matter what I spent on seats, etc she and I wanted to travel further and I wanted her to enjoy the journey at any cost. Sooo, I ended up buying (No flaming please) a 2012 Harley limited. A rolling sofa as she puts it. While it is NO FJR it does provide her the enjoyment I looked for. To keep personal enjoyment, I actually traded the FJR in for a bike I have Long wanted due to it's (personal feeling) artistic value and engineering beauty. A Honda Rune! Absolutely Love it. Again not an FJR, but I now have the best of both worlds for me and my wife's enjoyment.

/%5Bimg%5Dhttps://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu167/Yelobird/IMG_0098.jpg[/img]

Last edited by a moderator:
All,

Thanks for the kind words on the dash fabrication. Yes I did say I would keep the bike forever but as in life interests change and opportunities come up. While I truly loved the FJR my wife was not a huge fan of the passenger accommodations. No matter what I spent on seats, etc she and I wanted to travel further and I wanted her to enjoy the journey at any cost. Sooo, I ended up buying (No flaming please) a 2012 Harley limited. A rolling sofa as she puts it. While it is NO FJR it does provide her the enjoyment I looked for. To keep personal enjoyment, I actually traded the FJR in for a bike I have Long wanted due to it's (personal feeling) artistic value and engineering beauty. A Honda Rune! Absolutely Love it. Again not an FJR, but I now have the best of both worlds for me and my wife's enjoyment.

While I am happy that you have found some family happiness in your new steed, i feel like I need to ask the question everyone is thinking. When are you going into production and how do we sign up? :) All kidding aside. The dash is really nice!

-worney

All,

IMG_0098.jpg