Mother of All Mexico Dirt Bike Rides - March in 2015!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hudson: Laydown $5000 to go on this trip and have all the good parts washed away by rain then tell me it was more interesting.

We can't even ride the plan "C" routes due to rain and hazardous conditions.

BMW riders are a bunch of jam tarts Kuchen Strudel and wouldn't ride their far too expensive GS's over a few rocks and through a little mud. I borrowed Jim's rented, clamped out DR 400 Suzuki since his back was sore and made it all the way to the top and back down again and I have the video and photos to prove it.
Fixed by Herr Stanley, ein Dumbkopf Hoser eh!

Hey Brother, you are here in spirit ! Dammit Don will have quite a story to tell. But crap, he doesn't have a mouth. Oh well.

Today we went up to the Alta Cima, the highest town in the Cielo Biosphere, but not on the bikes. We did it Mexican style in the back of a Dodge 4x4 pickup. That is except for Bill, who once again showed off his many years of riding skills.

Unbeliveable scenery. I shot a ton of pix, too many to post in this thread. I will post some of the good ones tonite after dinner.

BTW, only spotty rain today, and forecast is for better tomorrow. Tomorrow we head north. Bummer, but we do have 2 days left.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hudson: Laydown $5000 to go on this trip and have all the good parts washed away by rain then tell me it was more interesting.
We can't even ride the plan "C" routes due to rain and hazardous conditions.
Brother Jim, here is what your "Amigo" Don Carver put on the AZ Beemers Forum yesterday, yes that is the same dcarver from our Fine FJR Forum.

Brothers, I am so damn sorry that the unfortunate rain has ruined this Expedition for many of you! Brian and I rode to Real 4 years ago in March: DRY!

No Whining Allowed!
wink.png

Ya'll signed up, and have done GREAT, even under wet and muddy duress.

There will be many tall (and taller) tales to be told when you young 'uns turn into ol pharts sitting by the fire pit...

JSNS, as my bud BDon's would say!

From Brian Boles yesterday on AZ Beemers Forum, sounds like the accommodations would have been OK if not for the rain!

Also, Don, I wouldn't slam Skip for the accomodations. The Hotel del Real was as nice as ever, it's just that they have no provisions for heating any of the rooms and it was FREAKING cold up there. Way out of the normal temperature range. And the cabins last night were somewhat "down home", the owners were super friendly and helpful. There just wasn't much selection where we were.

From Billy Fitz - yamafitter:

Just dropping back a day from my last post ....

We woke up at our hotel in Real de Catorce cold but at least dry. After a leisurely cinnamon flavoured coffee in the lobby we gingerly made our way down the damp cobblestones to the restaurant for rancheros on corn tortillas, good coffee and orange juice.

We made our way back to the hotel to check over the photos and videos from the day before. Our guide, Alphonso was having problems updating his GPS from his laptop. With all the technical expertise in our group it took the dumb Canuck (me) to diagnose a bad USB cord. I lent Alphonso my spare cord to sort him out and then we headed over to the town museum.

This photo from the 1930's shows a religious procession heading up a trail to one of the surrounding peaks...

rest%20day%201%20-%202-L.jpg

The museum also had a well in the middle of the basement floor. Chris was checking it out....

rest%20day%201%20-%203-L.jpg

I needed some anti-inflammatory from my fall the previous day and some batteries for my SPOT tracker so we headed further down the hill to the town's pharmacy and then went in search of a coffee shop. The Cafe de Avil had a very nice cappuccino.

On the way back to the hotel I spotted this future World Mountain Bike Champ...

rest%20day%201%20-%204-L.jpg

Riding a bicycle on these streets will be great training...

rest%20day%201%20-%205-L.jpg

For a while we were able to enjoy some sunshine in the courtyard of the Hotel de Real...

rest%20day%201%20-%201-L.jpg

and from the rooftop balcony we had a good view of the town's church....

rest%20day%201%20-%206-L.jpg

After dinner in town we retired to the hotel bar...

rest%20day%201%20-%208-L.jpg

Alphonso brought out the map to go over the next day's route. After some discussion, some extra input and much Vitamin T (tequila) a plan was devised....

rest%20day%201%20-%209-L.jpg

Everyone was cold from the night before in the unheated hotel rooms so we were all given extra blankets....

rest%20day%201%20-%207-L.jpg

Brian, our designated pyromaniac had a fireplace in his room. What he didn't have was any dry firewood. After trying toilet paper, candles and other supposedly combustible materials to light a fire the only thing that was accomplished was to fill the room full of smoke. While his roommate opened all the windows and tried to use the door like a fan to cleared the room of smoke, Brian stood out on the balcony in his underwear which scared the crap out of those returning from the bar.

Sortly afterwards the hotel staff knocked on our room door and gave us all hot water bottles to help keep us warm....

day%205-11-L.jpg

It worked amazing well and I had the best sleep of the trip thus far.

to be continued....

After a quick coffee at the hotel it was time to leave Real de Catorce and head back through the tunnel. I had some problems getting the WR450 started this morning since we were at almost 9000 ft and my carbureted WR450 is jetted for 500 ft. The other issue was that I had lost the kickstarter when it fell off on the first day and was lost plus the fact that I have an older Recluse clutch so bump starting is out of the list of solutions. If it does not start using the magic button it was not going to start.

In the end my roommate Chris had brought along a portable booster unit and with booster connected we were able to get a start. Most of the other riders on the bigger bikes did not want to risk the steep downhill cobblestones and took an alternate path down the hill to the street leading to the tunnel.

Being on a lighter bike I was OK with the decent and made it down to the town square without incident but then there were no bikes in sight. The support truck had followed me down and was starting to exit towards the tunnel so I thought it best just to follow the support truck. WE finally met up with some of the others at the tunnel and made our exit. After the tunnel it was twenty-four kilometers of wet cobblestones to make it out to the highway. At the turn we all gathered back up and headed east towards Magdeleno for breakfast.

Unfortunately part way there the WR450 lost power and made sounds like a decompressor as the bike rolled to a stop. A quick check of turning the motor over with the starter confirmed no compression and a sound a motor makes when the valve is hitting the piston. The WR450 at this point was done for the trip. The only thing left to do was to wait on the side of the road for the support truck and load the bike into the back...

day%205-12-L.jpg

We met back up with the group at the restaurant and just as the group was about to roll away the rains came back...

day%205-6-L.jpg

day%205-9-L.jpg

day%205-10-L.jpg

Maybe breaking down was not such a bad thing. We made one quick break from chasing the bikes to get a few photos of this bottle cactus...

day%205-8-L.jpg

day%205-7-L.jpg

Early in the afternoon there was an opportunity to get off the highway and ride up into the mountains. Jim's back was a little sore so he offered the KLR we was riding and I followed the part of the group that headed into the hills.

The first thing I learned was that the brakes are real sensitive when Alphonso made a quick stop after a wrong turn and I dumped the bike when I almost piled into the back of Chris. Alphonso then laid his BMW down getting turned around so it became quite the Chinese fire drill.

It was very wet but the road was in good shape and we were making decent progress. Though it was raining and the clouds were shrouding most of the mountains there was some photo ops....

day%205-13-L.jpg

We got part way along the route when we came to the realization that the loop was much longer than anticipated so the decision was made to backtrack and just head up the highway to our destination. A half mile before the hotel there was an upside down car halfway into the passing lane and Brian and Russ stopped so Brian could get a photo and make sure no one was hurt.

Unfortunately where they stopped left them somewhat vulnerable and another car that was rubbernecking clipped Russ' DR and put Russ and the bike in the ditch. Fortunately Russ is OK and the bike took only minor damage and is still rideable but Russ' iPhone landed submerged in the water and may not survive.

THe one saving grace was the battery was already drained so the old phone packed in rice trick may save it. Needless to say Russ is not in the best of moods and may head back tomorrow.

Once we peeled off all the wet riding gear we headed over to the spa for a massage and dinner. First things first however was cocktails....

day%205-14-L.jpg

This local concoction is a Mexican take on a Canadian Bloody Ceasar. A big jug with Mexican beer, Clamatos juice, celery salt, a dash of steak sauce and some Mexican hot sauce for flavour. Very tasty. After cocktails some of use had a massage to get rid of some of the kinks from all of the damp riding. The rubdown on the back and legs with hot rocks was very soothing.

Dinner that night was served out on the paddio of the spa and was also quite good....

day%205-15-L.jpg

I just wish it could have been a little warmer it would have made it much more enjoyable.

It is cold, the cabin roof leaks, there is no heat, all my riding gear is soaked and the bike is broke. Don Stanley who organized this trip but could not make the trip is probably laughing at us the bastard. It can be said however that we are having an adventure.

more to come....

Los Valientes-The Valiant Ones: I wish so damn much I was riding along with tus Hombres, I'm now in painful part of my Crash Physical Therapy!

I'd like to see you put your hand on a jumping cholla like in the picture above...

You wouldn't be standing there with a smile on your face; I can guarantee you that.
no2.gif

From Canuckistani David "Dashbaw" Ashbaugh of Vancouver Island, these Frostback Hosers are freaking Cannibals! JSNS, eh!

Don,

Hope the healing process is going well. We just arrived home late last night to the "Land of the Free-ze." I must have left my reading glasses in Yuma, as I can't find them and I am having problems sorting out some of the photos from this ride. Would you be good enough to ask your friend from the inclusive and diversity centre of Canada, also known as the Province of Ontario, I think his handle is Yamafitter, to label photographs of riders so we get to know everyone. For example, which one is the bottle cactus?

Dash ;D

P.S. Thanks for the update Bill.

Sorry for having dropped the ball but there was no internet last night and I just got back from the farewell dinner and some of the riders are already on their way home.
The other folks that posted up are correct about the location of the cabins. It is the Spa Hacienda La Florida. The owners are very keen to please their guests and they just need to put a little more time into bringing the cabins up to spec and it will be quite a decent top on the dualsport ride. The Spa itself was actually very good with excellent food and drink.

Just to pick up quickly where I left off we were just entering OTampa on the southern paved route that day. The other group had attempted an off pavement option but turned back when conditions became too greasy for the larger bikes in the group. They retreated to the pavement and took a northern route via Cuidad Victoria over to our destination for the day, the Cumbres Inn near Gomez Farias.

We had a relatively short but twisty ride over the Sierra Madres and was looking for some lunch. As we entered the town of OTampa the guard dogs were on watch....

day%206-13-L.jpg

day%206-15-L.jpg

The town square featured some very old and distinctive trees....

day%206-14-L.jpg

While we we have a quick lunch a young girl came over and invited the group to come and visit the town's cultural center to check out some of the local crafts and artwork....

day%206-16-L.jpg

day%206-17-L.jpg

After supporting the local artists with a few small purchases we continued on past the orange tree orchards...

day%206-18-L.jpg

and rolled into the Cumbres Inn about an hour before the northern route rides rolled in....

to be continued....

From Canuck Hoser Billy Fitz - yamafitter....

Actually Chris on his 1190 KTM Adventure and I on the DR Suzuki that I borrowed from Jim decided to screw the Mexican taxi ride in the back of the pickup and ride up.

Just as I was firing up the DR a light drizzle started up that was going to make things interesting. Alberto, our riding guide was not riding this morning but Juan in the support truck had gone up ahead to start preparing lunch for us at the top.

Alberto gave us excellent directions and Chris with me in tow running my GoPro were picking our way up the rocky road till we arrived in the town Alta Cima and we caught up with Juan. Juan gave us directions and I continued on thinking I had Chris behind me.

The road leaving town got slick with some mud for maybe 1/2 kilometer and I lost momentum at one point but was able to find a patch that gave me enough traction to get back on the pegs and make it through. Chris on the other hand had tried to get out of the tire rut and up on the grass bank just at the start of a small up grade. The front wheel made it but the back slipped back into the rut and Chris could just not make any forward progress.

Chris being on the bigger KTM used up a lot of energy plus adding on that both his visor and glasses were completely fogged up he finally aborted the attempt and returned back down the hill and returned to the hotel. It should also be noted that Chris was not feeling all that well at the start of the day which made the decision to go back and rest probably the correct choice.

All the BMW GS's never left the parking lot. I guess the hotel was the closest thing in Gomez Farias they were going to find to a Starbucks so they left the bikes and took the 2 hour ride up in the back of a pickup like a bunch of Mexicans going to work.

On the bike and taking extra care it took maybe an hour.
Note the lonely DR Suzuki in this photo....

IMG_2383-L.jpg

Not one BMW GS to be found. There was however a local on an old clapped out 150 Yamaha that seemed to be getting around OK....

IMG_2379-L.jpg

Maybe that is Chris Birch riding that Yamaha but I've met Chris and that does not look like him. After being all full of myself for making it all the way up there this local just took all the wind out of my sails. At least I can make fun of the BMW boys.

On our arrival the first order of business was to get the fire going. Charcoal and a bottle of charcoal lighter should do the trick....

IMG_2372-L.jpg

Why use 1/2 the can when you can use the whole thing.....

IMG_2377-L.jpg

With the fire taken care of it's time for the food preparation....

IMG_2381-L.jpg

One of Juan's many talents is that he is a very good chef.

The donkey was keeping an eye on us from a distance....

IMG_2386-L.jpg

The local dog wanted a closer look at what was going on...

IMG_2398-L.jpg

The rest of the group finally arrived at the top in the back of the pickup. Ken decided that it was time for a siesta before lunch...

day%207-4-L.jpg

All of us were done with all the crappy weather so we decided to make a sacrifice to the weather gods and roasted Dammit Don....

day%207-1-L.jpg

The sacrifice worked. The blue skies broke out and on the way back down the hill after lunch I was able to get these photos overlooking the valley from the lookout...

day%207-3-L.jpg

day%207-2-L.jpg

more to come....

Don, you are dumber than the jackass I posted a couple of posts up. It would appear to a sane person that you gave Brian credit for my post and that he rode the DR Suzuki.

If you do that again I am coming to your house and slashing the tires on your wheelchair you Jackass. JSNS

Don, you are dumber than the jackass I posted a couple of posts up. It would appear to a sane person that you gave Brian credit for my post and that he rode the DR Suzuki.If you do that again I am coming to your house and slashing the tires on your wheelchair you Jackass. JSNS
Ah Visa cridit card moment.

Don, you are dumber than the jackass I posted a couple of posts up. It would appear to a sane person that you gave Brian credit for my post and that he rode the DR Suzuki.If you do that again I am coming to your house and slashing the tires on your wheelchair you Jackass. JSNS
Sorry Frostback Maple Leafs Fanatic, I went back and Fixed it! JSNS, eh!

I forgot to post this photo from the morning s the rest of the riders were getting ready to depart from the Spa Hacienda La Florida....

day%206-6-L.jpg
Hey, I know those two guys. Mexican riding veterans. Mi Amigos
On left is Darrel "sloflyn" Wells, on the right is Back Road Bob Little and the bottle cactus in the background is Billy Fitz - yamafitter! JSNS, eh!

On left is Darrel "sloflyn" Wells, on the right is Back Road Bob Little and the bottle cactus in the background is Billy Fitz - yamafitter! JSNS, eh!
That's better. Next time you screw up you will find that I'm more prickly than any Bottle Cactus you have ever sat on.