Mother of All Mexico Dirt Bike Rides - March in 2015!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update on Russ' DR. We tried a few things here at the hotel. Fuel delivery does not appear to be the issue. Russ called the local Suzuki dealer in town and they are going to have a look.

The bike when it warms up will start backfiring before it quits. We checked the connections to the black box and they all seemed clean with no signs of corrosion. The symptoms point to an electrical issue so I'm hopeful the shop can sort it out.

Check the local Craigslist.

I bet he can pick up a cheap KLR that will get him there and back....

smile.png

JK.

If I was him, I might order and have overnight delivery a new CDI and coil and ANYTHING that might be suspect. Switches whatever. Keep in the tool pouch whatever you don't need.

This is too good of a trip to have spoiled by gremlins.

Don't be THAT guy like a KTM rider I know.....

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
On the good news side Jim's gear arrived 1/2 hour before Jim arrived at the hotel.

On the bad news side the shop was not able to repair Russ' DR. Not sure what options Russ has at this time.

Everyone is now here at the hotel and we are just bench racing waiting on the welcome dinner.

Well shit! Waiting to hear that there is a solution and you guys are on the road safely.

Gremlins be gone!!!

First the good news, we think we have Russ' bike sorted. Skip and Russ pulled the carb and cleaned all the jets and checked some electrical connections and the bike seems to be running properly now. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Everyone has arrived at the start location. Brian was showing one of guides Don's replacement for this trip, our Dammit Don doll....

IMG_2271-L.jpg

It didn't take Don's replacement long to get into the margaritas....

IMG_2275-L.jpg

The final supper before we head across the border....

IMG_2273-L.jpg

Depending on the availability of internet access it may be a while before I can update.

Later....

We left the hotel in McAllen and headed south to the border. We cleared the border and then pulled in to get all our tourist and vehicle permits taken care of. Due to the size of our group and the procedures in place it was a little over two hours before we were back on the road again.

Some of the group stopped at the turn for Monterrey waiting on a few of the riders....

IMG_0134-L.jpg

Brian got this photo of yours truly on the move....

IMG_0156-L.jpg

An interesting take on a cop vehicle in Mexico....

IMG_0174-L.jpg

That is the rest of our group in the background.

We hit some pretty heavy rains just before rolling into Santiago. Our hotel is on the main square just across from the church....

IMG_2289-L.jpg

The courtyard at our hotel...

IMG_2288-L.jpg

The ride today was all pavement just to get us into the good riding. It looks like the original route for tomorrow is out since the road we were going to take to Galeana is flooded out. There will be more pavement than planned with Plan B but we should be up in the mountains and should get away from the rain.

more to come....

Great ride report Bill. Ms Tyler would have liked the Spyder decked out as a police ride.
From Billy Fitz - yamafitter: https://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1048179&page=2

From AZ Beemers Member Brian "El Jefe" Boles:

Greetings from Santiago, N.L. Mex. Here's today's photo fest.

Here we are standing in the rain in McAllen Tx. Waiting to form up and head for Mexico. Yes, it is raining. Has been all night.

IMG_0125.jpg

IMG_0126.jpg

IMG_0127.jpg

IMG_0128.jpg

So, after you hop across the border, the paperwork starts in this imposing building in Reynosa, MX.
Dammit Don is like "We don't need no steenkin papers", so he stayed outside in the rain.

IMG_0130.jpg

IMG_0131.jpg

IMG_0132.jpg

The ride from Reynosa to just outside of Monterrey is somewhat boring. Here's a regroup.

IMG_0133.jpg

IMG_0134.jpg

Since it is so boring, I decided to shoot some riding action shots. First, a rolling moto selfie.

IMG_0137.jpg

Barry.

IMG_0138.jpg

Alberto, the leader. (Before he got us lost on the 1st day ! !)

IMG_0140.jpg

IMG_0142.jpg

Chris, from Georgia.

IMG_0144.jpg

Bob.

IMG_0145.jpg

IMG_0146.jpg

Jim, from Washington.

IMG_0151.jpg

IMG_0154.jpg

Bill, from Canada, aka Yamafitter.

IMG_0155.jpg

IMG_0157.jpg

Darrel, keeping Hideneau tires underneath himself.

IMG_0158.jpg

IMG_0159.jpg

Russell, from California. His DRZ400 has been, uh, finicky.

IMG_0162.jpg

IMG_0163.jpg

Michael, from Austin.

IMG_0166.jpg

And finally, Ken, from Phoenix, but not an AZBeemer member (yet).

IMG_0169.jpg

We stopped for lunch at a very nice place.

IMG_0170.jpg

IMG_0171.jpg

IMG_0172.jpg

Dammit Don made a new friend.

IMG_0173.jpg

Check out what the cops drive in this town.

IMG_0174.jpg

After this, we hit some really hard rain as we got into the mountains around Santiago. The hotel has nice underground parking so we didn't have to unload in the rain.

IMG_0175.jpg

After the rain, some nice drinks and anojitos (snacks) hit the spot.

IMG_0176.jpg

IMG_0177.jpg

IMG_0178.jpg

IMG_0181.jpg

And finally, some pictures from around Santiago.

IMG_0182.jpg

IMG_0183.jpg

IMG_0185.jpg

IMG_0186.jpg

I'm getting a case of Deja Vue. With some of those characters and the border crossing that looks just like the cluster at Mexicali. Jealous.

Another wet day in Mexico. We damn near drowned today. Bob promised it was going to dry out as we went over the pass. Bob is a liar.

We were up over 8000 ft in elevation and it cooled down to 45F.

Just as we were heading into Geleana which was the destination for tonight only to find that the police had closed the road due to a bad accident.

There we are cold and wet and after waiting for an hour we took the muddy path that bypassed the accident and made it to the hotel a little muddier for the experience.

I think I'm going to detour to Phoenix on the way home and drown Don in the bathtub so he can feel that he was on the ride.

Now this is just scary. :mda:Those two together ...

[img=[URL="https://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg65/bbolesaz/2015Huasteca/IMG_0178.jpg%5D"]https://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg65/bbolesaz/2015Huasteca/IMG_0178.jpg][/URL]
Davy Baby, my new Screensaver:

Billy Fitz, from Canada, aka Yamafitter.

[img=[URL="https://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg65/bbolesaz/2015Huasteca/IMG_0155.jpg%5D"]https://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg65/bbolesaz/2015Huasteca/IMG_0155.jpg][/URL]

[img=[URL="https://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg65/bbolesaz/2015Huasteca/IMG_0157.jpg%5D"]https://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg65/bbolesaz/2015Huasteca/IMG_0157.jpg][/URL]
Nice white tennis shoes there Willie!

Just when u thought u saw it all ....lmfao.... Thanks for the entertainment :) :)

Another wet day in Mexico. We damn near drowned today. Bob promised it was going to dry out as we went over the pass. Bob is a liar.We were up over 8000 ft in elevation and it cooled down to 45F.

Just as we were heading into Geleana which was the destination for tonight only to find that the police had closed the road due to a bad accident.

There we are cold and wet and after waiting for an hour we took the muddy path that bypassed the accident and made it to the hotel a little muddier for the experience.

I think I'm going to detour to Phoenix on the way home and drown Don in the bathtub so he can feel that he was on the ride.

From Brian "El Jefe" Boles:

Well, this is not much of a dirt ride, but it is certainly the mother of all rain rides. Today, was a deluge basically all day long. Our plan was to take the dirt roads that run throughout the Sierra, but after many days of heavy rain, all of the locals warned us to stay away. There is one paved road that crosses across the Sierra and we took that. The road would be super fun to ride in the dry, but it was quite slick in the rain. The views would have been spectacular, but the clouds obscurred it.
Here's some pictures from what would have been our turn towards the dirt.

IMG_0187.jpg

IMG_0188.jpg

Some little puppies hanging around and freezing in the rain.

IMG_0190.jpg

IMG_0199.jpg

Tiendita in the small town.

IMG_0192.jpg

IMG_0193.jpg

IMG_0194.jpg

IMG_0195.jpg

IMG_0196.jpg

The second opportunity to move to dirt, impassible.

IMG_0200.jpg

IMG_0201.jpg

Totally defeated by the rain, the decision is to head for the main highway MX57 and get to the next town on pavement. It's way out of the way and it's a freeway ride to make things more boring.

We stopped for lunch at a truck stop.

Dammit Don made another new friend. BTW, Dammit Don is not real popular with Mexico riders right now
ohmy.png

IMG_0202.jpg

IMG_0203.jpg

IMG_0204.jpg

So, we are about 5 miles from the destination hotel, cold, soaked like drowned rats. And there is a fatal traffic accident ahead that has shut down the road completely. There is a 1 mile dirt bypass around the accident however. But the dirt bypass is actually about 6" deep in gooey mud. It really doesn't look passible. The cars trying it are stuck. 4WD trucks are getting through. We retreat to a Pemex station to discuss our options. While we are standing there, Jim who has extensive riding experience in the NorthWet decides to go. He asks me if I want to try and I figure this is a good test of the lowered GS, so OK, let's go.

In the time we were at the Pemex, they pulled out the stuck cars and some more trucks had made it. We dived on in. Jim was much more used to this stuff and he made it through without too much excitement. I had a few moments, but "Praise the Lowered" I could get a boot down to stay vertical when I needed it. The mud was super thick, but if you stayed in the deepest rut, there was dry dirt under the mud that the tire could dig down to.

We were told to call the group if we made it, and report. They all decided to follow. Everyone made it OK except for Beto, the group leader.

Now you might think that someone would have been smart enough to take a picture or one of the guys carrying a GoPro would have turned it on, but no such luck. You will just have to take out word on how deep it was, or judge from these aftermath pix.

IMG_0206.jpg

IMG_0207.jpg

IMG_0208.jpg

IMG_0209.jpg

IMG_0210.jpg

We are hoping that the rain will end, but the forecast is for an OK day tomorrow, followed by a bucketload more rain the rest of the trip. Crud.

All for now, Vatos.

Alright, I take it back...a little rain is OK -- mud, no thanks!

Keep the rubber side down y'all, hope the weather dries out a bit.
cold.gif

--G

It was advertised as "The Mother of All Mexico Dirt Bike Rides", and it is shaping up to be just that. Adventure riding? Hell yes.

BackRoadBob and Brian were complaining about getting their boots muddy on the Zongaza - El Pino "road". I told them that if they keep their feet on the pegs where they belong instead of sticking their feet in the mud paddling along they would not get their boots muddy.

Our guide, Alberto thinks I'm mean.

A few photos from Thursday....

IMG_2309-L.jpg

IMG_2313-L.jpg

IMG_2319-L.jpg

waterfall%201-L.jpg

waterfall%202-L.jpg

dinner%20salad-L.jpg

Mexico%20Ride%20-%20Day%203-L.png

A more complete report is available on my ADV Rider thread.

See linky