MotoGP Laguna Seca SPOLIER

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For Stoner to be so pissed off with Rossi, Stoner must of had good reason to say what he did. In every interview I have seen the lad in he has always been respectful to everyone he's that kind of young bloke. check to see if he has a pair? Surely you can't be that silly?

As ET pointed out Pedrosa went home. He went out in practice and had his left index finger rigid and pointing, as he went onto the track he was nursing the hand on the tank as if it hurt too much to hold the bar. I thought at the time he shouldn't be on the bike. Sensible choice to step back.

I don't know if you guys saw the podium presentations but Rossi and Stoner shook hands and shared a joke, good to see. Much respect on both sides there I think. Rossi was quoted in the UK press this week as saying that 'Stoner is supernatural'.

Do you remember the Philip Island race when Rossi was given a 10 second penalty for passing under a yellow early in the race? He went on to win by 15 seconds. He said afterwards that it was the only race (up to then) where he had had to ride at 100% every single lap. I reckon Laguna was a close comparison.

Toseland was interviewed after the race and was very dissapointed with 7th. He said that there had been problems behind the scenes that had now been resolved and he was expecting to do much better this weekend.

Apparantly because of the mess that Michelin made and a cool morning some of the guys did the warm up on inter's.

Thug: You're not really and Aussie are ya? :D

Randy: Edwards just signed for another 2 years, perhaps he took a day off to celebrate? Mamola's words not mine! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Great clean racing from my view. The only thing negative was maybe Stoner's 'sour grapes' interview. Congratulations to Valentino; well earned, and gained more respect from me at least.

Awesome race but I am not so sure I would call Rossi's dirt move in the corkscrew "clean" so a little winning from Casey could be tolerated. Is Stoner really 5'7" and 127 pounds? The way they were riding I figured the had that much just hanging.

Too bad Greg White wasn't busy riding his scooter cross country, a lead announcer he ain't.

First Michelin screws up F1 at Indy and now Moto GP, do we have a conspiracy going on?

Now I will hear from my buddies how I should have been there instead of bombing over Bucks Lake Road. (one of Ca.'s best motorcycle roads for rippin' em up!)

What a race, the best I've seen in quite some time.Very cool to see the throttle displayed & how Stoner would be WFO sooner than Rossi yet behind him on the track exiting corners, Ducati electronics must be a bit ahead or Casey is much more trusting in them than Rossi is in the Yamaha. Great racing & I hope it continues. :clapping:
I was watching that, too. Very interesting. I paused it and replayed several times to compare styles through the three corners they showed. What stood out to me was the difference in braking.

While Stoner was full on the brakes up to the start of the corner, Rossi was feathering them to 80% , then trailing deep into the corner. At the top of the corkscrew, Rossi braked past the first apex (maybe at 10-20%) before rolling back on. That may be why it showed Stoner WFO before Rossi, but not able to get around him. He was busy playing catch up because he braked sooner and harder.

Great race up until Stoner dumped it.

For Stoner to be so pissed off with Rossi, Stoner must of had good reason to say what he did. In every interview I have seen the lad in he has always been respectful to everyone he's that kind of young bloke. check to see if he has a pair? Surely you can't be that silly?
My thought too. Watching Stoner since his Premiere Class debut in 2006, I think he's a classy guy. Rossi is more experienced, and Stoner will wish he had those comments back later... but in the heat of the moment, it showed that he is human. Rossi is a classy guy too.

Stoner may have shaken hands at the podium, but before that he was given a chance and passed on it, and afterwards he made the comments about the nature of the overtaking. He was miffed.

I just hope they don't kill each other on the track. These guys ride in control on an edge further out there than anyone elses edge. If they each push to find the other's limits, one or both could be screwed. Sigh....

Someone asked about Edwards. Just about all of the Michelin riders felt screwed by their tires, and Edwards was in that group too.

One other comment on the braking differences. Rossi knows that he has the better braking, and it was his specific intent to exploit that in the race. He talked about it afterward.

The other thing folks might have noticed is just how whacky that Ducati's handling is. Stoner is the only one that can stay on it. The M1 seems to handle much better, and of course, Rossi is very talented and can fully take advantage of this. Stoner will have the advantage when there are long straights. On courses where your constantly working the corners, Stoner is going to have to be happy with a podium now that Rossi has enough power to hold him at bay for a while.

Greatest race I've seen in a long time. I hope that CBS can bring some new fans in with this coverage.

Thug: You're not really an Ozzie bloke are ya? :D
Fixed it for you. :rolleyes:

I loved Jeremy Burgess's comments.

MotoGP link.

He is too right. I have been following premier motorcycle racing since KR Sr. was out there and this is the way all the races should be. Two or three riders testing the limit at the front, not one rider clearing off and making it boring like the last several races. I actually watched the race a second time (one big advantage of a MotoGP subscription) and I haven't done that in quite some time.

There was only one questionable pass and the was the second cork screw pass. Valentino could have easily moved a bit left and run Casey into the weeds if he had been looking to put him out, but he kept a tight line.

Casey needs to shut up and race.

I attended Skip Barber at Laguna Seca.

Those 5 days of lapping that track was probably the most fun I've ever had.

I learned so much...It was awesome.

I can't imagine pushing the limits on a motorcycle there.

There was only one questionable pass and the was the second cork screw pass. Valentino could have easily moved a bit left and run Casey into the weeds if he had been looking to put him out, but he kept a tight line.
Casey needs to shut up and race.
And wasn't that the pass where Rossi went off track and was pretty squirrelly coming back on? He bumped Stoner, and that might be what ticked him off, but I think that when Stoner sees the video of that, even he'll realize that Rossi did more than most mortals could to not whack him.

Great race. The way those guys swapped places during the first few laps was jaw-dropping cool.

And I'm pretty sure it only takes a couple more minutes of flight time for Lorenzo to qualify for a pilot's license. Jeebus.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think CBS's camera-work is superb -- better than SPEED's.I'm sure glad I got to watch the Rossi-Stoner show....!
Ummmm - I'm pretty sure the video feed on CBS came from the same source as what is provided on Speed - Dorna.
Yes, it did. I watched both. The CBS feed was about 30 seconds ahead of Dorna, and, of course Speed didn't get to broadcast this one.

I thought the camera work was typical for this season. It has been very impressive all year. I've never seen such good coverage of the mini-stoppies as you come into corners. All the bikes have several cameras on board now, and whoever is doing the production (choosing which camera to cut to) is doing a good job, and has been doing a good job all year. How many cameras were from CBS for the Laguna Seca event, and how many were Dorna contractors ? I dunno. The coverage was very good, but, as I said before, its been excellent all year.

I highly recommend a subscription to https://www.motogp.com.

Although there are only 6 races left, the championship is truly "up in the air." It is going to be very exciting after the break.

Of course CBS will have the feed in the US again for the August 17th race at BRNO, but it will probaby be a delayed broadcast with the live feed in the early morning for US viewers on the MotoGP site.

'Randy' & 'EL Toro', you guys are probably right -- I was comparing the Moto GP camera-work (and, I agree -- all good lately) to the SPEED camera coverage of AMA races. I just can't recall better camera coverage than (previous) on-bike camera of Dani crashing and this last weekend of Rossi & Stoner -- Stoner out-of-the-seat (after the corkscrew, I think?); Rossi & Stoner at the corkscrew; Stoner braking before his get-off -- just some of the excellent coverage.

I agree that the AMA coverage is not as good. I can't think of an AMA racing class that I really enjoy on TV. MotoGP takes it to another level.