Motolight Group Buy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please, all you thinking about motolights, do some searching for aux. lighting. Motolights allow you to be seen but mounted that low do much of nothing to light up the road in front of you. Dispute the facts if you want but after doing some research the truth be known. Ask LD riders about lighting. They know better than we do. Mirror mount lights offer the best view of the road. 55 watt hellas seem to be the choice most at economy prices. I hace Piaas 1100x's mounted on the mirror bracket. but I don't ride fast and furious at night much so they work for me and look nice. I am not preaching here just trying to pass on info I have aquired over the four years of owning my FJR.

I'm considering running a pair low as fog lights. I would still get a set of PIAA or Hellas for driving.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was throwing around a 35% discount for numbers. Dan said 25% would be a feasible start.
Dang... I might have to ask for a few bucks back!
LOL

I paid full-price, but they are worth it! I agree they would probably be better mounted higher, but I don't do a lot of riding at night. For me it's more about being seen and just ask any of the guys I ride with... I can been seen! In fact, I get stuck in the back a lot so the "leader" can tell when the last of the group is coming.

:unsure:

Please, all you thinking about motolights, do some searching for aux. lighting. Motolights allow you to be seen but mounted that low do much of nothing to light up the road in front of you. Dispute the facts if you want but after doing some research the truth be known. Ask LD riders about lighting. They know better than we do. Mirror mount lights offer the best view of the road. 55 watt hellas seem to be the choice most at economy prices. I hace Piaas 1100x's mounted on the mirror bracket. but I don't ride fast and furious at night much so they work for me and look nice. I am not preaching here just trying to pass on info I have aquired over the four years of owning my FJR.
I wasn't going to chime in as not to burst anyones bubble, but the above quote is absolutely spot-on. Keep in mind you can get a set of Garaulds mirror mnts.,and a set of Hella FF-50's for $90.00 delivered to your door. Again, if you've got your heart set on the motolights, then by all means get them, but you'll never get the down range performance of a quality, mirror mnt. driving light system.

DSC00004.jpg

I wasn't going to chime in as not to burst anyones bubble, but the above quote is absolutely spot-on. Keep in mind you can get a set of Garaulds mirror mnts.,and a set of Hella FF-50's for $90.00 delivered to your door.
Where can I get the FF-50's and mirror mounts for $90.00? I'll jump all over that deal :yahoo:

Thanks

Garauld is a longtime member of this board and builds not only great light mnts., but some of the best looking/performing luggage racks and backrests for the FJR. He has light mnts. available for the 06'. Check the vendors area of this forum for contact details. :clapping:

Dang... And I bought a set a couple of weeks ago...

I agree with folks saying you get a better view with higher mounts, but I also think you get better conspicuousity with the low mounts, and that's the ticket for me. These things can be seen forever. They're an awesome product.

For those without a calculator, the 35 watt versions would draw 5.8 amps. The 55 watt versions pull 9.2.

I ordered the 50 watters. I'll stick a 20 amp fuse on them. With the 35 watt lights I'd use a 15 amp fuse. I think rule of thumb is to double the wattage used to leave room for some surge when you turn them on.

I ordered the 50 watters. I'll stick a 20 amp fuse on them. With the 35 watt lights I'd use a 15 amp fuse. I think rule of thumb is to double the wattage used to leave room for some surge when you turn them on.
Oh, duh, that's right -- the upgrade is 50 watts. That would be 8.3 amps.

Good advice on the fuses.

Okay... here are the deals on the group buy. I guess I really should not call this a group buy, because the deal will be valid for any FJR owner at anytime. I had a very nice talk with Dan in their office in Ohio... and we discussed a number of ideas. The offer for any FJR owner is going to be free shipping and a free upgrade to the 50 watt lights.

Please, before anyone posts anything about this not being a good deal... it is still a good deal. The company that makes these lights, makes just these lights. The lights and wiring harnesses are also completely made in the USA. I am a small business owner and I completely understand their situation... while they would love to give them away, they have bills to pay and they have several employees to pay.

So, if anyone is interested... please call them at 1-800-567-8346 or (513) 772-3469 and place an order. Remember to mention fjrforum.com and they will give you the above deal.

One last note... remember a number of us already ordered these lights and had to pay for shipping and the upgrade. I like these lights and after someone mentioned they liked them on my bike, I wanted to try and get a deal for the group. I still feel like I accomplished what I set out to do and I hope nobody spoils it by saying anything negative. (I know everyone has a right to say anything they want, we are in the USA... but please be respectful.)

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
yo Marc;

Thanks for your hard work and all the time spent trying to get something arranged. heck, I appreciate any break that can be worked out... they didn't have to do anything so something is definitely better than nothing. We've already got a great riding platform at a reasonable price, everything else is icing on the cake.

I'm a believer in these Motolights -- especially for making a rider noticed. I'll still hop on this deal.

Did I remember someone saying that these folks would be at EOM and I could work out installation at that time with them?

Thanks again man.

best regards

Patrick

Marc

Thanks for the work and time spent on this. Have been reading up on the issue and think I'll go with higher mounted lights.

gmotion, I'm looking into getting a set of PIAA 1100X's that fit on the FJR's front

fender(called Multi-Fit). Can you run the PIAA's straight from the battery, with only

a switch(included in kit), if its that simple, may try to install them myself.

gmotion, I'm looking into getting a set of PIAA 1100X's that fit on the FJR's frontfender(called Multi-Fit). Can you run the PIAA's straight from the battery, with only

a switch(included in kit), if its that simple, may try to install them myself.

I've ordered the motolights however I'm pretty much stuck on getting the PHID's to run with them. I'm just waiting for them to finish working on the mirror mount for the 2006 FJR.

After looking at all the lighting options,Motolights,PIAA's on front forks via Multi-Kit and the Hella's with FJR mirror brackets for just $90, I'm going with the Hella's! I will let everyone know how they work out when I install them. :)

After looking at all the lighting options,Motolights,PIAA's on front forks via Multi-Kit and the Hella's with FJR mirror brackets for just $90, I'm going with the Hella's! I will let everyone know how they work out when I install them. :)

Where are you getting the Hella's from? I just wanted to save myself the shopping around for the best price. Thanks.