Motool Slacker (Suspension Sag Tool)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksiesel

Reaction score
I searched and didn't see any discussion of this tool with regards to the FJR. I found a deal on one over the weekend on FB so I thought I'd give it a shot. Prior to this, I've always done the zip tie on the fork tube and helper method for the rear (which was always suspect anyway).

It's a neat little tool with a retractable cable and digital display. It will auto zero when you turn it on, but you can also enter an auto zero mode where it will zero at the longest length is sees after that mode is entered. This mode would probably work better on something light like a dirtbike, but is less useful on the FJR. Fortunately, there's a center stand to make that manageable.

It also comes with 10 small adhesive clips. I put one on the lower fork tree.

Setup:
Rider weight: 260
Full tank of fuel
Top box installed, no side bags
Front preload cranked all the way in
2015 Gen 3 FJR A model

Front: Magnetic mount to the axle and hook cable on clip of lower tree. Center stand bike, hold the backlight button to enter auto zero mode. Press down on tail of bike to float front tire. Now you are ready to climb aboard and take the bike off the center stand to get your sag measurement. Mine was 48 mm.

Rear: Magnetic mount to the breather on the final drive (the axle won't work on either side unless an exhaust pipe is removed). The cable hooks nicely into the bottom saddlebag mount of the rear tail bodywork. Place bike on center stand, turn unit on (it will zero here), remove from center stand and begin taking measurement. I did this in both hard and soft and found there is only a 4 mm difference in static sag.

The unit I purchased also came with a remote that I just laid near the key. This made it much easier to see and do the whole process by yourself. It also has an app that can do this with a bluetooth pairing. I've not used that feature at all.

Overall, I'm not sure I'd pay full retail for this, but it's a neat toy/tool to have around for initial setup on all kinds of powersports toys. I may even try it out on my snowmobile in a few months.

IMG_0330[1].JPGIMG_0331[1].JPGIMG_0332[1].JPGIMG_0333[1].JPGIMG_0334[1].JPGIMG_0335[1].JPG