Motorcycle Conspicuity

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sherman

Reaction score
I found this great article on MC safety.

I hate to wear yellow, but it looks like that is the only way to go.

Article

All my gear is Joe Rocket White/Blue/and a bit of Black combo. primary color is blue. Very visible. My old helmet was a blue Shoie. My rain gear is a canary yellow. The only way to fly in the rain. :D

For regular gear I wear a black jacket in winter, but a mesh or textile in summer with reflective tape/piping. I think for next year I'm going to get a better textile or perforated leather in a bright color for 2-3 season use.

My helmet is yellow with some white in a swirl pattern, but time for a new helmet next year. Rain gear is yellow, but I just ordered new Nelson-Rigg rain gear that is black and grey with more reflective stuff (all I could get in my size).

I usually try to balance visibility with style like most people.

I like to ride behind Grumpy. He wears that bright yellow Aerostich suit and has those flashy headlight modulators. Looks like a 800 lb. canary-on-crack coming down the road. All I have to worry about is...

1. Making sure I am close enough to be seen as a single unit.

2. How the hell am I ever going to get fast enough in the twisties to pass his ass!

Love ya Grumpy. Come back safe and soon from Germany. Can I borrow your suit???

Aerostich HiVIZ for me. People tend to remember seeing me. Rode to Glen Oak one weekend. Two weeks later I rode to a plane museum and some guys recognized me even tho those places are separated by nearly a 100 miles. Get free coffee if you look like a fireman too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys wearing neon like colors get wasted all the time. I don't depend on visibility to keep me out of trouble, since I believe nothing but constant vigilance works. Cages do shit and then look to see if it worked, if at all, so don't count on your red or yellow outfit to keep you alive.

Guys wearing neon like colors get wasted all the time. I don't depend on visibility to keep me out of trouble, since I believe nothing but constant vigilance works. Cages do shit and then look to see if it worked, if at all, so don't count on your red or yellow outfit to keep you alive.
Speaking only for myself, I do my best to avoid any contact with naked guys wearing tierras. You may be on to something... :unsure:

If I read the article correctly?, I think it concurred with radman -- conspicuity just didn't make much difference it their testing.
I don't know how you got "didn't make much difference."

I'm with Radman too in our taking complete responsibility to avoid getting hit by cagers.

However the article is pretty clear that there is approximately 33% less risk of getting injured if you wear bright clothing and a white or light colored helmet. 33% is significant.

We can't count on the cagers for protection, but we still may benefit by their increased likelihood of their seeing us. It's all about probabilities in risk reduction.

Massey changed the colors of their tractors from gray to red years ago because their farmers were getting hit by cars. Most tractors are either red, yellow, orange, or bright green for a good reason.

I like to ride behind Grumpy. He wears that bright yellow Aerostich suit and has those flashy headlight modulators. Looks like a 800 lb. canary-on-crack coming down the road. All I have to worry about is...
1. Making sure I am close enough to be seen as a single unit.

2. How the hell am I ever going to get fast enough in the twisties to pass his ass!

Love ya Grumpy. Come back safe and soon from Germany. Can I borrow your suit???
Your favorite view, Jeff

FH020001.jpg

Grumpy my man!

Tell us about German motorcycle riders. What colors do they wear? What octane beer do they run? Do they have any extra auch-biker-chiks that would treat me like the Bad Boy I am???

:)

I go with a bright-blue Joe Rocket when it's hot, warm or cool, and I have a white leather Icon Motorhead jacket for when it gets really cold.

My helmet is all white. I was on a group ride one time, and it amazed me how you could pick out the white helmets in the crowd from so far away.

I don't know how you got "didn't make much difference.".......However the article is pretty clear that there is approximately 33% less risk of getting injured if you wear bright clothing and a white or light colored helmet. 33% is significant.
I guess I'm poor at understanding scholarly tomes...? (I didn't find the article "pretty clear") Perhaps you can give the "Cliffs Notes" version? ;) Do they maintain that conspicuity is good for a one-third reduction in probability of being hit by other road-users? Or, is it "injured"; like you say above? Is it bright clothing and a white or light colored helmet (or, either/or?)? :blink: Thanks (and, thanks for the link)