Motorcycle Insurance

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PTParks

Reaction score
Currently insuring one bike (2008 Victory) through Farm Bureau, but the cost seems higher than bikes I've insured in the past. Went with them primarily because of convenience. Now however, I am facing insuring two bikes and am looking for any recommendations on which insurance companies have the best rates. I don't care if its a nationally known company like State Farm or Progressive, or some little known company. Any help or recommendations greatly appreciated. Thanks!

if you are fifty, AARP has good rates. With my cars at Allstate, they were cheapest for me.

I have two bikes and had to switch from Allied (Nationwide) when they doubled my premiums for having a second bike. Geico was a pretty good deal here. The question I have, is how many of you admit to driving more than 3000 miles/year? There is a big price change at that mileage.

It would appear to me that there is a wide variation on what is the best or cheapest insurance company depending on state. I save a very large amount by using Dairy Land instead of Progressive in SD but I have heard just the opposite in other states. Your best bet is to shop around and If you have a broker that sell more than one policy don't let them get lazy or greedy.

I have two bikes and had to switch from Allied (Nationwide) when they doubled my premiums for having a second bike. Geico was a pretty good deal here. The question I have, is how many of you admit to driving more than 3000 miles/year? There is a big price change at that mileage.
my insurance company did not even ask me the mileage.

Progressive was nearly double what Dairyland wanted. I'm paying $275 a year for 100/300/(whatever the max on the last is, 50?).

Insurance is an odd thing. Dairyland can be the cheapest most anywhere except in a couple of states where it's crazy expensive.

It would appear to me that there is a wide variation on what is the best or cheapest insurance company depending on state.
If you read insurance threads you'll see this is a true statement.

I save a very large amount by using Dairy Land instead of Progressive in SD but I have heard just the opposite in other states. Your best bet is to shop around and If you have a broker that sell more than one policy don't let them get lazy or greedy.
I now have Dairyland, used to have Progressive. DL in Arkansas was less than half the price of Progressive. Throw in an AMA membership for more discount and free towing on every vehicle I own and it was win/win.

None of this may hold true for your state. Get busy shopping. Unless a neighbor posts about a good deal this thread isn't likely to provide useful price info.

FYI, Dairyland's online quote was spot on. It was quick and easy to see where they're at on price.

Last edited by a moderator:
my insurance company did not even ask me the mileage.
+1

As a starting reference point, you can go on-line on the Progressive website and get a quote. That will give you some idea of comparison.

If you're looking for the cheapest insurance, Lefty's Insurance Company is very low cost. Good luck finding Lefty if you have a claim though. I've made claims against my Progressive policy after an accident, a rock strike/bent front wheel, and a blowout with a long tow--they pay for the first 150 miles of towing, and I've come very close to that twice. At $55 to come pick up the bike and $5.50 per mile, you can figure out what a 100-mile plus tow would have cost me. I shop for service when I'm looking at insurance. And I'm very satisfied with the coverage I have.

Thanks to everyone for their insights and recommendations. I went with a local independent insurance company that could shop around for the best deals. Ended up going with GMAC, which uses Integon Insurance as their M/C insurance carrier. Rates were great compared to what I was paying with Foremost. I had used Integon in the past (way in the past) and was very satisfied with their services. Never had a claim. Hopefully I can keep that tradition alive.

many good points made here. it all depends on,state,driving record,type of bike you are insuring,and get this one your credit report,which was never intended to be a form of id. . find a independent agent. they handle more than one company and can shop the price for you. rule of thumb, always shop your insurance every two years no madder what it is, bike, car, etc.

I don't think an independent agent is necessarily the best bet. I was using one for many years to place all our insurance needs. The had us in Allied, a division of Nationwide. When I bought the FJR in December, the insurance was going to double to over $1200 for the two motorcycles, so I did my own checking and was able to keep it under $400 with Geico, so they lost my motorcycle business. This month I had a renewal for the auto policies and kept getting irritating letters saying I had to renew an $80 membership with the farmer's bureau to keep a discount worth $196 on my insurance. So I checked around again, and dropped my rates from over $2600 to $1200/year with Geico.

I have no idea if this is typical, but independent agents make their living from some cut on the policy payments, and at least mine couldn't deliver anywhere near competitive rates. It's embarrassing how much more they were costing me than what I could get on my own by looking around. So they are gone.

Last edited by a moderator:
It would appear to me that there is a wide variation on what is the best or cheapest insurance company depending on state.
If you read insurance threads you'll see this is a true statement.

I save a very large amount by using Dairy Land instead of Progressive in SD but I have heard just the opposite in other states. Your best bet is to shop around and If you have a broker that sell more than one policy don't let them get lazy or greedy.
I now have Dairyland, used to have Progressive. DL in Arkansas was less than half the price of Progressive. Throw in an AMA membership for more discount and free towing on every vehicle I own and it was win/win.

None of this may hold true for your state. Get busy shopping. Unless a neighbor posts about a good deal this thread isn't likely to provide useful price info.

FYI, Dairyland's online quote was spot on. It was quick and easy to see where they're at on price.
FWIW the application for Dairyland does ask how many miles the vehicle is driven on an annual basis, and it affects the quote. For less coverage than I get from Geico, Dairyland was twice the price in California based on the online quote. Location makes a difference, and I guess they are not very interested in doing business here.

I go with Geico on the two bikes but as mentioned the area lived in makes a difference. I currently pay just under 600 for both bikes with full coverage and good coverage on riding gear and aftermarket items installed on the bike.

Just want to add while I also have good roadside coverage, I also have roadside coverage that will make up the difference on what normal towing didn't cover through AMA membership with automatic renewal. I've had no problems with AMA and it also covers all our vehicles for all family members. Or you can use their service as standalone. Worth checking out. PM.

when I was with foremost/aarp they asked me for mileae when I initially signed up,but not again. recently looked at geico, dairyland, harley davidson and progressive. none of them asked for mileage. went with progressive, the least expensive of all the quotes for the three bikes i have. substantial savings over foremost, and had trip interruption/towing at dirt cheap prices too. but from what i read, where you live, your age, credit score and driving record all play a part in rates so you really have to shop around. Progressive, dairland and geico all have good online quote systems.