Motorcycle Jeans

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cannot comment about the Gusset brand, but the Draggin' Jeans kevlar in the knee can be irritating to the skin (sandpaperish) after a while.

I'd look for a lining over the kevlar.

I recently picked up a pair of Cortechs riding jeans. They use perforated Brazilian leather instead of the Kevlar in the key areas which is supposed to be more comfortable in the long run. And they come with CE rated knee armour that can be removed. Not the best protection, but better than just jeans. And in this south Texas summer heat it's very hard to wear the one piece suit or leather (like I should).

I have 2 pair of the Draggin jeans, I rode a 1000 miles last weekend and they never bothered me. True, they may be a bit rougher inside than regular jeans....but I have Mylar.

The black ones are very neutral and no one knows the difference.

They are Made Well of good material and Made in the USA. They cost about $99 a pair.

Last edited by a moderator:
How bout a pair of these? Kevlar Jeans Am really curious if anyone has tried these. And they are now offered in a lightweight kevlar. Not affiliated with product. PM. <>< :D

How bout a pair of these? Kevlar Jeans Am really curious if anyone has tried these. And they are now offered in a lightweight kevlar. Not affiliated with product. PM. <>< :D

I just got 2 pair ..wife and myself. Custom made and fit just like my old jeans I sent them. Expensive hell yes but its my skin and I don't like road burns. I got the Air mesh ones.

Cary

I like the (regular) Diamond Gusset jeans as street clothing. I don't consider jeans (draggin or otherwise) as riding gear; neither have impact protection and reports I've seen of drags with Draggin have been less than stellar for anything more than very minor situations.

I'll have to agree with Luv2Ride and JamesK. For riding gear, I'd save the cash and apply it to some real riding gear.

I have a pair of Draggin Jeans I wear all the time when it's hot. No skin irritation, and they are heavy (and hot for jeans), but not as hot as my leather alternatives. ASSuming I get down to my target weight in the next month or two, I'll see if I can get my Forcefield under garment armor on under them -- THAT would be some serious protection between the two. Problem with the Forcefield stuff is that they take up enough room that your pants have to be substantially larger than you'd wear otherwise, but great armor stuck in the right places.

I'll buy Draggin Jeans again if these ever wear out -- it's a nice compromise when you're going to be spending time in them off the bike and/or it's too hot for leather. No armor in them, but with the kevlar and thickness of the material, at least the road rash issue is covered (seems to me they have a guarantee not to tear or abrade through).

I don't consider jeans (draggin or otherwise) as riding gear; neither have impact protection and reports I've seen of drags with Draggin have been less than stellar for anything more than very minor situations.
Agree, my hot weather riding strategy the past 2 summers has been to wear draggin jeans under Joe Rocket mesh pants. Neither offer much protection by themselves but until something better came along it was all I had. Something better did come along at WFO-6. Its called the Ultra II kevlar mesh pants and they are made by Cycleport.

I just can't see wearing any kind of jeans when riding.

After seeing what happened to my mesh overpants in a low speed crash on my Buell, I now fully trust only the good stuff.

I just picked up the Olympia Phantom 1 piece suit. I think this thing is great. It is easy to put on over regular street clothes and offers great protection from wheather and road.

When i get to where I'm going, I just climb out of it and I'm in my comfy street clothes.

Cost was resonable too, Just the same as a good touring jacket and pants. And 1/2 as much as an Aerostitch.

Tim

Just got back from my Wednesday ride group. It was about 85 when we started - 101 when I get to the barn about 1:00 PM. I have been experimenting with just about everything discussed here for summer riding in 90+ temperatures - but it's not just the temperature here it's the humidity added. Makes the heat index about 110. Once it gets to 100+ I figure it's time to get off. But, still need stuff that gets me to that point. So far I have been very pleased with my Bohn Crusader shirt (red/black - really good visibility to other drivers my wife opines) - serious upper body armour (actionstation.com). For lower body I have been trying some padded riding shorts and the X-PLOIT Motard Knee/shin guards that came with my Bohn shirt. Gussett Kevlar jeans over this. Not really happy with this arrangement so I have ordered a pair of T-Pro Forcefield Pro Pants to try under the kevlar jeans. I'll report in a week or so on how I feel about this solution (whether I think the protection is good enough, and whether I still feel like I need to wear the knee/shin armor over the pants). I have tried the Bohn pants - didn't think the protection was serious enough. In cooler times I just throw my Joe Rocket jacket and pants over the top of this stuff.

Some of you may not have seen the video made by Draggin Jeans on the Oz website being pulled by a drag bike? Draggin jeans stop the flesh being ripped off you not heavy bangs like amour.

After wearing the Diamond Gusset kevlar lined jeans religiously for motorcycle rides during the last 3 seasons, I have decided that I really do not like kevlar lined jeans. Here are the reasons.

1. They don't breathe at all. You've got to take them off at your destination, or risk developing skin issues for your thighs, butt, and groin areas. I won't even put a pair of these jeans on anymore without first dusting up with an anti-chafing powder.

2. In addition to not breathing, they also do not expand when stressed, so if they get twisted at all, they basically put a tourniquet on your thigh or butt.

3. In addition to not breathing and not being flexible, they present a rough surface to your skin, and hence are uncomfortable compared to any other normal clothing cloth, except possibly burlap.

4. While they may offer protection against road rash, they do not protect against impact at any level.... its sort of a false sense of safety.

On the positive side, I will say in their support that they are made in the USA, the company gives good customer service, the company will custom cut a pair to fit what ever waist and inseam you want, and it is my impression after wearing 5 pair of them over and over again for rides, that they seem to last forever. Five pair would appear to be a lifetime supply.

I know this is old thread resurrection week...so I'll add my 2c.

Regarding abrasion...I have a couple of asphalt/gravel slides...and I Draggin' Jeans performed flawlessly...saving my ass.

Regarding comfort, I put unpadded biker shorts and gym shorts under the jeans...no problemo for the comfort.

However, after my 2008 getoff in AR, I said I would get something with armour on the hips, knees, etc. So I got a two-piece all-weather armoured riding suit.

I still have the kevlar jeans...and got them out this past fall when my riding pants needed some work performed on them.

Regarding abrasion...I have a couple of asphalt/gravel slides...and I Draggin' Jeans performed flawlessly...saving my ass.

Regarding comfort, I put unpadded biker shorts and gym shorts under the jeans...no problemo for the comfort.

However, after my 2008 getoff in AR, I said I would get something with armour on the hips, knees, etc. So I got a two-piece all-weather armoured riding suit.

I still have the kevlar jeans...and got them out this past fall when my riding pants needed some work performed on them.
I used to be a really strong supporter of the Kevlar reinforced concept. And I have had road rash (my worst dose 42 years ago which took several years to get back to normal), so I'm an easy sell on abrasion protection.

I think your new move to the armored stuff is a good one, and I am headed BACK in that direction. I will probably do like you, i.e., when my armored pants aren't available for whatever reason, I'll go back to the kevlar jeans.

Well, since this is the Halloween season, let me add to this zombie post...

I also have Draggin' jeans. My local drag strip won't let me race with fully armored, motorcycle specific textile clothing but will let me race with Draggin' jeans because they can read the word Kevlar on them :blink: So, after tech inspection I put my armored gear on over the Draggin' jeans, sort of a belt and suspenders approach. The will also allow ass-less chaps and disco grade leather but not motorcycle armored textile stuff. Ya, I gots an atti-tude over it.

The DJs are everything mentioned before. I use the 'hot' part to my advantage when it gets cold, I wear them under my normal gear for warmth. Sometimes I wear my DJs on very short trips when I need to arrive looking a bit more social in appearance than full riding gear. I am always amazed at how I feel like I'm riding naked when I don't have on my armored outfit.

"New Enough" has a closeout deal on Scorpion pants. Good price.

I don't know the story behind these Scorpion "Awe" pants, but I have the "Deuce" textile pants and really like them.

They're mesh and offer knee and hip protection, but come with water/wind proof liner and are really comfy. I think they're designed as an over pant. I wear them with LD Comfort shorts or tights. They're lined down past the knees and zip all the way up the legs, so they're easy on and off.

no affiliation with Scorpion. I already had a Scorpion jacket and, after trying them on, got the pants to match.

The better pants give better protection, (if you'll wear them). I think the re-enforced jean option is legit. Keep us up to date with your quest for comfort.