Motorcycle Jeans

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started getting these advertisements from a company called "the Duluth Trading Company". They have these jeans they call Firehose jeans that have the extra gusset in the crotch for more comfort. After some deliberation, I ordered a pair to wear while riding. They are very durable and comfortable. I'm happy with them.

I now own 5 (motorcycle) jackets, two pair of riding pants, two pair of riding shoes two pair of riding boots and nine (that's 9) helmets that consist of Shoei, Icon and Arai. I hate wearing riding pants because they just aren't very comfortable, don't care for wearing boots (prefer riding shoes) and like open face helmets the best, although I mostly wear full coverage while riding my FJR. I guess I'm living on the edge, but if I can't be comfortable riding, then I'll drive my truck.

If interested, check out this link.

Duluth Trading Company

I have one pair each of the Draggin and Diamond Gusset. I bought the Diamond Gusset first, and then ran into the Draggin at Eagle Leather, tried them on out of curiosity, and then bought 'em.

The weave on the Kevlar is finer with the Diamond Gusset, and they have the gusset, both of which make them more comfortable than the Draggin. The Diamond Gusset also have a small Kevlar panel that extends around the hips, while the Draggins' Kevlar is only behind the seat, which gives the Diamond Gusset better protection in that area. The Draggin's Kevlar, though, goes all the way to the bottom of the butt, and beyond; the panel extends about four inches down the legs, while the Diamond Gusset's Kevlar actually ends a few inches above the legs. Perhaps Diamond Gusset didn't want the Kevlar to interfere with the gusset. The Draggins' knee panels are longer; the Diamond Gussets' actually ride up above my knees after I've moved about on the bike a bit.

Overall, my sense is that the Draggins would provide a little better protection if you're tucked or otherwise have your joints bent; the larger Kevlar patches wrap around the outside of a bent knee or a butt defined by legs bent towards the chest. The smaller Kevlar of the Diamond Gusset jeans are probably fine for coverage if you're stretched out flat and sliding.

The real reason I bought the Draggin even though I already had the Diamond Gusset is that the Draggin fit better. YMMV, but the Draggin are cut bigger and longer, and that makes a difference. My Draggins are nominal 36x36, and they're plenty roomy, and plenty long. My Diamond Gussets are nominal 38x36, don't seem much baggier, and ride up to expose more than half my riding boots.

I agree, though, that neither offers anything like the protection of a real motorcycle pant. I wear overpants for "spirited" riding, and all winter. I recognize that I have less protection in the jeans, adjust accordingly, and cross my fingers.

Two more more things:

The Draggins' coarser mesh initially feels rougher, and gives the sense that it may be abrasive and uncomfortable, but it softens with wear and I've not found it to be a problem. YMMV on this, too, I've been called thick skinned, and often tolerate coarser fabrics that others find scratchy. In any event the coarser weave has the advantage of letting air through better. The Diamond Gussets' finer weave is smoother, and feels less abrasive, but is also significantly tighter and traps more perspiration.

I referred to "overpants". I have both winter and summer motorcycle gear in both full-zip and pull-on versions. I recognize that zippers sometimes fail, and that the full zip versions' risk of splitting open is greater, but I REALLY like the convenience of getting them on and off quickly. A very common combination for me is therefore a pair of Kevlar lined jeans under full-zip overpants. The First Gear Hypertex Air II pants' mesh is so flexible that they fit in a fraction of the Top Case, allowing me to transition from motorcycle to jeans in moments, while standing beside my bike, and go on to meetings or beer in jeans.

Two more more things:

The Draggins' coarser mesh initially feels rougher, and gives the sense that it may be abrasive and uncomfortable, but it softens with wear and I've not found it to be a problem. YMMV on this, too, I've been called thick skinned, and often tolerate coarser fabrics that others find scratchy. In any event the coarser weave has the advantage of letting air through better. The Diamond Gussets' finer weave is smoother, and feels less abrasive, but is also significantly tighter and traps more perspiration.

I referred to "overpants". I have both winter and summer motorcycle gear in both full-zip and pull-on versions. I recognize that zippers sometimes fail, and that the full zip versions' risk of splitting open is greater, but I REALLY like the convenience of getting them on and off quickly. A very common combination for me is therefore a pair of Kevlar lined jeans under full-zip overpants. The First Gear Hypertex Air II pants' mesh is so flexible that they fit in a fraction of the Top Case, allowing me to transition from motorcycle to jeans in moments, while standing beside my bike, and go on to meetings or beer in jeans.
Just FYI, there is a world of difference b/w the US Draggin' Jeans company (a bustard child of the Australian original company) and the version developed and marketed by the Australian Draggin' Jeans to the ROW. As far as I know there was some kind of a legal dispute that led to the two parting ways, and the Aussie company has been hard at work developing new products and refining everything, including the coarse feel of the US model (one of the reasons I sold mine).

If you're in the market for Kevlar Jeans, do yourself a favor and check out the tech and options available from the Aussie Draggin' Jeans: www.dragginjeans.com.au

No affiliation, just wanted to set the record straight.

I don't own "riding" jeans because I always, always wear my Darien riding pants when on the bike. Those that only wear "real" cycle pants for spirited riding seem to forget that the 16 year-old girl on her cell with her bff at the next intersection doesn't care if you are riding spirited or not. You can't always know where the next crash is coming. If your riding pants aren't comfortable, you either have the wrong pants or the wrong size. But I do understand the comfort of a good pair of jeans.

I just wanted to throw out a note about Diamond Gusset. I have bought my regular jeans from them for years now and am very happy with them. Great service and prices and product. And, Made In The USA!

mr.paul from Minnesota