Motorcycle Lift - Gonna Get One - No Mo Floor

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
After the last exhilarating experience learning that all neuron pathways are fully communicating maximum pain factor to brain from ass, hips, arms, elbows from wrenching on the concrete...

I give up.

Gonna get a motobike lift.

Question is, which one?\

What's important?

Price? Lift height? Drop panel for rear wheel removal? Quality? Parts availability 5 years from now?

Initial internets search reveals

https://www.bestbuyautoequipment.com/Auto-Lift-AL-1000M-With-Sides-1-000-lbs-Motorcycle-p/al-1000msides.htm

https://handy-lift.com/p/BOB-1500-Air-Lift

https://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-capacity-motorcycle-lift-68892-8495.html

https://www.bestbuyautoequipment.com/auto-lift-motorcycle-lift-combo-p/al-1000mcombo.htm

My needs?

• Rear tire change out
  • Yz426 to HD Ultra
  • Riding lawn tractors/ATV's
  • Air or hyd lift (air compressor located far away from so-called 'shop', Ms dCarver gets pissed at air line run across porch, imagine that?

What do you have? Is height all that important? Some go 30", some 40". Front wheel chock stability is important too. I need a lift where I can get Western on the bike after strapped and lifted and not have the POS lift chuck KrZy8 to the ground..

Thanks in Advance...

dcarver

Last edited by a moderator:
I like my $299 harbor freight lift but it don't work with the lawnmower very well.

We used Handy Lifts with Side extensions in my shop. Expensive but very reliable and sturdy. Would handle tried hondapotomaus with no sweat.

I've had a Handy lift for almost four years and have been very happy with it. A wheel clamp is a must and I highly recommend getting the side extensions. The extensions make loading and unloading safer and add a place to put tools and parts while working. I've never used another brand so I have nothing to say about them positive or negative. I do know that the Handy is often the choice of dealers for their service departments.

Getting a lift is a good move. It makes doing maintenance easier which means you are less apt to put it off and you can do a better job when you are doing work.

Also, the side extensions allow you to service lawn tractors and ATVs on the lift. I suppose you could get a SnoGo on there too.

I've had a Handy lift for almost four years and have been very happy with it. A wheel clamp is a must and I highly recommend getting the side extensions. The extensions make loading and unloading safer and add a place to put tools and parts while working. I've never used another brand so I have nothing to say about them positive or negative. I do know that the Handy is often the choice of dealers for their service departments.Getting a lift is a good move. It makes doing maintenance easier which means you are less apt to put it off and you can do a better job when you are doing work.
It appears the Handy is a quality lift with 40" lift.. and the priciest of the bunch too.

Then again, sometimes you do get what you pay for..

I'm just dog tired of working off concrete and feeling like crap for 3 days later..

A lift comes in handy for use as a work surface for other projects as well. Also a good place for drunks to sleep it off on tech days.

I do not have the removable cutout for the rear wheel; wish I did.

That second Best Buy lift with all the extras for $849 looks cool. If I wasn't gonna be forced to get the HF lift, that'd be the one I get.

That Handy lift looks really sweat. Considering that it's likely to last you for countless years to come, I'd say break that piggy bank and treat yourself to some Handy goodness DC.

That Handy lift looks really sweat. Considering that it's likely to last you for countless years to come, I'd say break that piggy bank and treat yourself to some Handy goodness DC.
What are you still doing awake, J?

smile.png

What are you still doing awake, J?

smile.png
Believe me I'd love to have a nap right about now, seeing as I didn't finish working on the FJR until 3:30 am last night. It sucks that my company frowns on afternoon naps though
rolleyes.gif

Check around the local bike shops? If you're not in too much of a hurry they sometimes upgrade etc. and are willing to part with older style, (hydralic) when they go to air! I was given mine, looks like hell but works for me and all my riding buddies. The rear wheel drop out is essential in my opinion?

I've had the HF for many years and sure do miss the side extensions, and unfortunately, it is HF quality. I had to buy their lawn tractor/atv jack to supplement.

DC, the Handy lift is the standard that you see in most MC shops. They have been around forever. I have had one fro about 1 years, don't have the side extension, but I don't have any quads to need it. I have the air cylinder, works great. Only maintenance is to periodically spray some WD-40 into the air line feeding it and on the wheel chock threads. It is a very stable platform to work from and easily adjusted to whatever height you need.

I have three lifts and if you only want to spend money once and have it to spend then buy the big Handy. The extra working height is worth every penny as is the drop out panel. My big lift goes up 48" and has the drop out but isn't the quality of the Handy. It came from Greg's Equipment for a very reasonable price.

I have three lifts and if you only want to spend money once and have it to spend then buy the big Handy. The extra working height is worth every penny as is the drop out panel. My big lift goes up 48" and has the drop out but isn't the quality of the Handy. It came from Greg's Equipment for a very reasonable price.
Is that the grey one we had KrZy8 up on, Ray? That quality is way enough for me... and a 48" lift is awesome. As I recall, it had a drop out for rear wheel too.?

Is the one? https://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Atlas-HI-RISE-1500-Motorcycle-ATV-Lift_2