Motorcycle Trailer Recommendations

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avigar

Reaction score
I'm looking for recommendations on a single motorcycle trailer for the FJR. A low, fold-up for storing, profile would be ideal due to limited garage storage space. BTW, can a Cavalier with a 2.2 liter engine handle the weight? Thanks.

I think you're wrong, Scooter...I suspect that the FJR will have no problem towing a Cavalier. You may have to downshift to 4th gear for uphill passing.

:D

Kendall. Light, fold up, balanced.

I have a two-rail and you can use one rail on one side without any balance or handling problems. It was designed for that. Or you can carry two bikes.

Sometimes you just gotta carry the bike. Like if you are leaving it someplace for a few days.

Harbor Freight Tools has a variety of inexpensive utility trailers. I bought one of their medium duty (about 1400lbs capacity). It was on sale for $200. All you need to add is a 4x8' sheet of plywood. I've hauled my FJR with it. It does have a tilt function and it does fold up. the tilt function is a little clumsy with the FJR, so I got one of their tri-fold aluminum ramps for about $70. that is a smooth combo. I also put a couple of 2x4 chocks screwed onto the trailer just for the bike.

right now they are advertising their 1800lb version for $300.

The FJR on this trailer probably weighs in with accessories at less than 1000lbs. I think your cavalier is up to that.

Well, you could also you with the Trailer In a Bag. Its probably not as cheap as the Harbor Freight but its definately smaller. From the look of these photo's, your car can probably handle it.

bike1a.jpg

DanHealy1.jpg

JeffMartininSedona.jpg

"Trailer in a Bag"

Is than anything like an Inflatable Mobile Home? ;)

(You CAN get an inflatable chapel on eBay--complete with inflatable pews....) :dribble:

From travelling to Daytona several times via car trailering, if you're towing a long distance in my mind over 100 or so miles, don't skimp on a trailer. Have seen a bunch of the chinese made trailers in a heap on the side of the road, w/ a $20K bike that was strapped to them. Also it seems to be a bit hard to get parts for the no name trailers. The F.D. in town bought one and the bolts kept loosening up on the frame point. Finally had to have the joints welded.

I have a Haulin trailer (Home Depot sells em) which seems to be pretty good quality. Had it about 5 years now, replaced the decking (plywood once) it sits outside. Overall pretty sturdy. They sell the ones left at a discount before the winter if you live in the snow belt areas.

For enclosed, I have a CarMate V-nose. Made in PA, very well built. Much better quality than the HaulMark I used to have.

A car w/ a 4 cylinder should not have an issue pulling an open trailer w/ on bike on board. Enclosed trailer is another issue.

Not a fold-up or cheap, but if U gotta do it.Later,
Well, the Kendall is a fold-up, but it ain't cheap!

I bought mine at the Bergen Harley-Davidson dealership here in NJ. I hadn't been in an H-D dealer since they were truly weird at the Durham, NC one 25 years ago--pre-independence of AMF. So I was surprised and relieved that the guys in Bergen were friendly and helpful--just what you'd expect at ANY business that deals with the public. The only differences were that a full 1/3 of the floor was devoted to H-D logo accessories--wannabe crap, and there were two security guys at the front door.

Were I to lose my mind and decided to buy an H-D dinosaur, I'd go there. If I went slightly mand and decided I just HAD to have a Street Rod, I'd go there. If I want American esoteric, like 70's Italian, I'd go there for a Buell.

Now, my local YamaHondaKtm dealer is a Kendall dealer too, but they weren't then.

I've been EXTREMELY happy with the Kendall. I've hauled two bikes over the Dragon each way, after 800 miles of travel from NJ, and just the FJR with no problems.

And it folds up out of the way, with rollers so you can move it around--be careful, they since into asphalt.

They sell a cover for it, but it's, unfortunately a piece of expensive garbage, the doesn't hold up to U/V rays and weather too well.

Yanktar,

Is it Kendall or Kendon? Sounds like what you are describing is the Kendon brand I'm familiar with. Like you said, great trailer but not cheap. Maybe the same trailer marketed under two different names.

Kendon

Yanktar,    Is it Kendall or Kendon? Sounds like what you are describing is the Kendon brand I'm familiar with. Like you said, great trailer but not cheap. Maybe the same trailer marketed under two different names.

Kendon
[SIZE=8pt]oops... [/SIZE]

:dribble: :confused: :cry: :asshat2:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Yanktar, the folks at Bergen H-D are genuinely nice folks. Me and a buddy co-chaired the first special olympics torch run m/c ride from Bergen. They donated a bunch of stuff inc. food, the shop, tents and didn't sic the dogs on me when I showed up on the FJR. A female owns it, think the dealership was started by her Dad. If I was going to buy a H-D they would be on top of my list.