Motorcyclist mag pans FJR-AE

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
going to be interesting what they say about this comparison over on the ST-Owners forum..

As for Motorcyclist mag being afraid to piss off manufacturers - when they did that helmet article about Snell rated helmets being too hard - they lost over $250,000 in advertising revenue because it pissed off some manufacturers.

Obviously, they failed to do the forum famous "speed-shifts-per-second-while-on-centerstand" test, and thus the low score.
Yes they did. I've got an excerpt of the Motorcyclist review right here:

was warming the 2006 FJR 1300AE bike up sitting on the centerstand this morning parked next to a tree.

I shifted 55 times in a minute; then the throttle got too sensitive; the seat was too hard, the grips were too hard the throttle spring was too hard and it started ticking and roasted my left leg so I put the sidestand down to take it off the centerstand. I pulled the front brake lever in until it touched the grip.

When I was lowering it off the centerstand, the sidestand collapsed and it landed on the metal slider which broke the frame causing the Metzeler tire to fail and both sidebags to unlock and fall off. The car swerving into my lane couldn't hear the wimpy horn and there was no grease on the spline. It was wobbling at 48.5 mph and the buzzing was making my hands numb. I couldn't hear anything 'cuz of the static in my intercom. It felt like someone, wearing a leather glove, was hitting me on top of the head--Hard!

The glovebox wouldn't open and the suspension was too mushy.

Picking it up, I tore my bicep, wrenched my back, both knees and got monkey butt....

Last Place! Worst Sport Tourer Ever Made!
WOW.....that was right on the money !!!!!! Too funny !

Consider the source, they will not give an honest review, it would cost them to much money. Of the 3 bikes what one is the least available in this country? Get my drift?

How many guys here have ridden an AE? I had a chance to ride one back to back with my A. If I had to choose an AE or one of the other bikes I would have made the same decision as Motorcylclist. That being said they should have compared it to the A and the results would have been different. The AE shifts slower than an experienced rider on an A and offers a benefit to a only select few individuals. It is interesting but not a bike I would ever own.

When was the last time you saw an ad for the FJR in the mags. (or anywhere, for that matter)(in this country)

When was the last time you saw an ad for an ST in the mags? When was the last time you saw an ST period?

Now I would venture to say Honda does spend more advertising dollars in the mags, in general , than Yamaha.

Included in the November issue of Motorcyclist is a comparo of the FJR-AE, ST1300ABS, and K1200GT. In their ranking the FJR was 3rd, the BMW 2nd, and the ST1300 1st.
They are not fans of the computerized clutch. If a manual clutch FJR had been in the mix the ranking would have been different.

https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/features...photo_outtakes/

Article is not on-line.

It would seem that many reviewers don't have an open mind about the AE. They are predisposed to dislike it.
I'm still stuck on the notion of a magazine having the nerve to put the ST in front of the beamer. I guess Germany was late with the payment or somethng :blink:

I can understand the electronic clutch scaring away the old schoolers. I don't think I'd mind having it, especially if it works as well for spirited riding as people have said.

Typically, I just find the magazines to be ass anyway.

I took a huge mental leap buying a Yamaha, and I'll never look back.
The FJR may not be perfect, but I can't figure out what's wrong with it....
+1... and then some.

Bike magazine, from England, wasn't too happy with the FJR AE either. They compared it to the BMW GT and RT (I think it was) and the ST1300. Rupert Paul called the FJR the epitomy of 1990's technology - long wheel base, slow to rev and other insults. Ultimately, the FJR ended up in the middle of the pack. The GT was liked best, followed by ST1300 and FJR, then the RT last.

Ron

Well I may be a new guy but here in AUSTRALIA , the number one motor cycle magazine Two Wheels tested the BMW K1200GT se, the Honda ST1300a ABS, and the Yamaha FJR1300AS with auto clutch

" Add up all the scores and the FJR1300 is the winner (thought please get ride of the vibration). narrowly over the BMW . The honda was aconsidered to be a little bland although very functional "

In my opion these bikes are all very capable and I am considering which one to buy . I would not have the auto clucth though, low speed manuvering is inportant and you need as much control as possible which having a manual clutch dose give you .

Real world out the door price is what tells ( not recomended price ) These are Australian dollars

BMW $32,000 ( maybe $500 less ?? ) About $24,000 US

Yamaha about $20,000-$21,000 About $15,000-15,750 US

Honda about $23,000 About $ 17,250 US

Now let's put that into perspective I can have a BMW or Yamaha and a Suzuki Vee strom 650 and about $1000 change ,makes you think dosen't ??

MOTORCYCLIST Magazine

[email protected]

Dear Ed,

I read with interest your Jan 07 article regarding the Honda, Yamaha, and BMW S-T Comparo. Your test covered only 750 miles over two days by three riders. That means each rider had an average of only 250 miles of riding experience on the FJR1300AE.

The FJR1300AE that I own has just less than 1900 miles on it, and I'm very pleased with it's performance, handling, and comfort level. The more I ride it, the more I'm impressed.

I respectfully disagree with your conclusions regarding the YCCS electric shift, finding it to be a vast technological improvement over the standard clutch system. It does require a much different shifting technique and rolling-off the throttle when up-shifting will cause jerkiness. It's better you not use any clutch-type techniques at all with it. The way to shift is to hold the throttle constant while up-shifting. The owner's manual is wrong in this respect. First gear is smooth, but you have to roll on the throttle slowly until you feel the auto clutch engage, then roll-on the throttle normally. This takes some practice time. Slow U-turns is easy by feathering the throttle in 1st gear while using light pressure on the rear brake.

Your riding staff was far too critical in my opinion. The YCCS is a great system and I think it will revolutionize the motorcycle market by introducing new riders to the sport. In the long run, that's good for us.

The FJR1300AE may not be the best choice for everyone, but it has unique advantages for some of us.

Obviously, they failed to do the forum famous "speed-shifts-per-second-while-on-centerstand" test, and thus the low score.
Yes they did. I've got an excerpt of the Motorcyclist review right here:

was warming the 2006 FJR 1300AE bike up sitting on the centerstand this morning parked next to a tree.

I shifted 55 times in a minute; then the throttle got too sensitive; the seat was too hard, the grips were too hard the throttle spring was too hard and it started ticking and roasted my left leg so I put the sidestand down to take it off the centerstand. I pulled the front brake lever in until it touched the grip.

When I was lowering it off the centerstand, the sidestand collapsed and it landed on the metal slider which broke the frame causing the Metzeler tire to fail and both sidebags to unlock and fall off. The car swerving into my lane couldn't hear the wimpy horn and there was no grease on the spline. It was wobbling at 48.5 mph and the buzzing was making my hands numb. I couldn't hear anything 'cuz of the static in my intercom. It felt like someone, wearing a leather glove, was hitting me on top of the head--Hard!

The glovebox wouldn't open and the suspension was too mushy.

Picking it up, I tore my bicep, wrenched my back, both knees and got monkey butt....

Last Place! Worst Sport Tourer Ever Made!
Dude...that's funny!!! You can't make me laugh like this cause I'm at work!!

Last edited:
Before I got my 06 I went to the expo in Seattle. Had a long talk with tech about the "new" clutchless model. I asked what was the point of putting it on the FJR. It would better serve on a smaller, beginners bike. He agreed , but said they couldn't afford to do that because it would price them out against competion. I said that I have been riding since the 60's and if the day comes I can't do my own shifting, I'd quit riding. Now, later I rode one, and I can see the interest for some, but I don't like the loss of total control that I have now. Especially at slow speeds in town. However, if I ever become handicapped I'll still be able to ride. Why doesn't Yamaha address important things like helmet hooks, high speed vibration. lack of lubrication on driveshafts and how about giving me some way to tie down the front of the bike, easily. They don't want us to use the bars on the 06 models because of the adjustable feature. And never if you have a bike with risers. My .02c

The real question is, why is Yamaha sending AEs for the magazines to test? Many of the testers are racer wannabes who are absolutely certain to trash the AE. Someone in Yamaha should be looking for a new job.

For the record, I chose the A because I'm old fashioned and don't want to to try to change a 48 year old habit, but there's obviously a market for the AE. I hope to try one some day--who knows, I may have to come out of the closet. :)

The real question is, why is Yamaha sending AEs for the magazines to test? Many of the testers are racer wannabes who are absolutely certain to trash the AE. Someone in Yamaha should be looking for a new job.
For the record, I chose the A because I'm old fashioned and don't want to to try to change a 48 year old habit, but there's obviously a market for the AE. I hope to try one some day--who knows, I may have to come out of the closet. :)
I also have a CVT-drive scooter in the stable. Ya know what...? I love it, especially for riding in traffic. 2 weeks after I bought my A, an AE became available at the same dealership. If I had known that was coming up... Yeah, I'd have gone with it.

Because Yamaha spent the money on the new clutchless model and they want to make some of their money back. Thus, they are going to push the AE. Plus, every one wants an edge and acknowledgement for doing something relatively new and different. As far as I know, Yamaha is the only company out there currently doing this thing. There may have been something like it in the past, but they are the deal, now. Like it or not, they want acknowledged for it. The AE is more inclined to create buzz. (media buzz that is)

Like it or not, they want acknowledged for it. The AE is more inclined to create buzz. (media buzz that is)
True... unfortunately, as CW and MC have shown, it has been largely negative media buzz.... :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Dale...what are you saying?....Yamaha should have paid them more bribe money than the bike producers? :lol: .....