Motorcyclist Magazine April Issue

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rainbowrider

Reaction score
Apparently Motorcylist Magazine is putting the 2008 AE to a one year and 10,000 mile test. Whereas I own an "A", and never even considered the "AE" (love to go through those 5 gears on my own), I've read nothing really good about the automatic in almost every bike mag. Anyway, will still be interesting to see what they say about the FJR anyway - if they come to love it as much as the rest of us, whether it's manual or automatic. :yahoo: Question: is the 2008 AE also black? :ph34r: The picture shows that (although it's a black and white photo). Thought they had always been silver.

Apparently Motorcylist Magazine is putting the 2008 AE to a one year and 10,000 mile test. Whereas I own an "A", and never even considered the "AE" (love to go through those 5 gears on my own), I've read nothing really good about the automatic in almost every bike mag. Anyway, will still be interesting to see what they say about the FJR anyway - if they come to love it as much as the rest of us, whether it's manual or automatic. :yahoo: Question: is the 2008 AE also black? :ph34r: The picture shows that (although it's a black and white photo). Thought they had always been silver.
#1....its not an automatic. It IS a computer controlled clutch with the rider's choice to use the: a) foot shift; B) paddle shift. And it works very well, at least the one I rode did. MY preference is the standard (A model), but I can see the market for and appreciate the AE model, as do those who own them.

Question: is the 2008 AE also black? :ph34r: The picture shows that (although it's a black and white photo). Thought they had always been silver.

08' AE is not Black...it's Granite Gray.

I've never seen one at any dealer I've visited. I've been told at more than one dealership that they are not ordering the AE because they are hard to sell.

Last edited by a moderator:
#1....its not an automatic. It IS a computer controlled clutch with the rider's choice to use the: a) foot shift; B) paddle shift. And it works very well, at least the one I rode did. MY preference is the standard (A model), but I can see the market for and appreciate the AE model, as do those who own them.
You're right. The article referred to it as an "auto-shift" and "automatic clutch." I guess I wasn't specific enough. Sorry! :(

Now, Think about this.

I too have never heard a review that was positive of the AE model

I have never met an AE owner that did not like it, of not love it.

The AE takes some getting used to. A 15 minute ride wont do it. 10,000 miles wont do it if it is spread out between 6 mag writers that are changing bikes every third day. Like many bikes, it beceoms a relationship.

I like the A model, I love my AE model and I bet it shifts every inch as smooth and fast any almost anyone on an A model now that the computer and I understand each other.

The only place the AE lacks (IMHO) is off the line when trying to get revs and slip the clutch. But it does a good imitation of a slipper clutch if coming in too hot and dropping a gear too early YMMV

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, after 1 week, I don't know if I love the AE model yet, but in most traffic situations, I really do like it. But it's certainly something you have to ride with, and get to learn, before you get comfy with it.

My one real complaint with it is that the hand shifter requires that you turn it on every time. I have a tendency to wrap it up too high in first, when just starting off, because I hit the finger shifter...and nothing happens, because I didn't turn it on.

So then I'm rather comically trying to jam my foot under the shifter to change gears while I futz around with the "on" button on the handlebar.

Aside from that, though, it makes commuting in traffic a lot less tiring on the ol' clutch hand.

Well, after 1 week, I don't know if I love the AE model yet, but in most traffic situations, I really do like it. But it's certainly something you have to ride with, and get to learn, before you get comfy with it.

My one real complaint with it is that the hand shifter requires that you turn it on every time. I have a tendency to wrap it up too high in first, when just starting off, because I hit the finger shifter...and nothing happens, because I didn't turn it on.

So then I'm rather comically trying to jam my foot under the shifter to change gears while I futz around with the "on" button on the handlebar.

Aside from that, though, it makes commuting in traffic a lot less tiring on the ol' clutch hand.
One of the guys here has a mod for that...about $50....

I've had my 08 AE for about a month now and I love it! I loved it the very first time I did a demo on one. It just gets better every day and I've experienced the misfire on the horn and not turning the YCCS on when the bike first starts. You adjust and it just gets better and better. Oh yeah, I love this bike!! :)

You're right. The article referred to it as an "auto-shift" and "automatic clutch." I guess I wasn't specific enough. Sorry! :(
I'm just yankin' on yer chain.

THEY may not know the difference and write clearly enough to dispel the mis-information....

But WE know the difference!

This is my first non-honda in 50 years of riding...but I have an AE and love it. I am still having a hell of a time grabbing that clutch lever (that is not there), but I am getting better. It is sure great to stop and not have to hold the clutch. Also, have not missed a shift, or had any issues at all with the clutch action. I agree that you must ride it for a while before you can say whether you like it or not.

Ed :rolleyes: :yahoo:

I Love my AE

nuff said
I was going to buy an A but wanted to test ride the bike in general to see how I was with the size and weight. The dealer would only let me ride a used FJR and the one they had was an AE. The dealer sent me off and said see you in 45 min.

Wow, a 45 min test ride!! Unheard of in my book. In those 45 min I fell in love with the AE; the smoothest shifts I have ever had. As soon as I got back to the dealer I bought a new AE off the floor. It is only dicey doing low speed maneuvers such as U-turns; I am still learning to drag the rear brake as a substitute for slipping the clutch.