MP3 players for Autocom system

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stray Bullet

Reaction score
I want to add an MP3 player to my Autocom system. I would like an FM tuner and maybe even a voice recorder. 512 megs is probably fine though 1GB would be nicer. Is there a player that is better suited to motorcycle travel? Scan disk or hard drive? I have little or no knowledge of these devices so any help would be greatly appreciated. Opinions requested on "Best Buys" too!

Just starting to hook up my Autocom system within a small tank bag. I attached a 12 volt accessory plug to the Autocom so I can move it from bike to bike to ATV. I have the Garmin 2610 to plug in to it so I can hear that sexy voice reminding me that I'm "off route, recalculating". When I park the bike away from home, I will detach the Powerlet lead and pop the Garmin out of the Ram Line cradle, fold it all in the tank bag and carry it with me.

Thanks, Roger

Great Bike! :clap:

I don't know about the Autocom system, but for a mp3 player: Creative Labs Zen Nano Plus, it comes in either 512MB (about 240 songs) or 1GB (about 500 songs) skip-free MP3 players uses memory type: Internal Flash , no hard drive. It comes complete with a FM tuner, Voice/FM recording, and Line-In encoding for direct connection and recording from any audio source, & a custom EQ setting (nice). Uses one AAA. Might as well kick up the earphones to Etymotic ER6i Noise-Isolating Earphones. They rock!

Last edited by a moderator:
Bought my daughter the mobi-Blue MP3 player from Walmart for x-mas.

1 GB, rechargable battery, usb2.0, FM tuner, and I think voice recorder (not sure on that one)

was a good deal

-=SF=-

For MP3 storage of 2 GB or less you could also consider one of the Palm PDA models that play MP3's and accept SD card memory (e.g. Palm TX). Not the finest music machine made but has more functions.

Solid-state (flash memory) has to be more vibration-resistant than hard drives on a bike but my Ipod is still going strong.

Another Creative Zen Nano Plus fan here. Unfortunately it does not have a rechargeable battery, but runs on ONE AAA battery for about 10 hours. You can get rechargeable batteries sold separately. The 1 gig was recently on sale at Circuit City for under $100. They also had some off brand similar unit that was like $30 for a 1 gig after rebate. Never heard of the company, don't remember their names. Looks like the prices of these units are really coming down.

I bought my Zen through Walmart online when they first came out and weren't in their stores yet. You can now readily find the 512's about anywhere, inclusing Wally World.

Getting a PDA that has a lot more functions makes sense,too. I've even thought about getting a rugged laptop. But I can put my Etymotic ER6i's in, toss my Zen in my pocket and listen to my Roady XT without being wired to the bike. Very small, light and easy.

I snagged a SanDisk 1GB for under $100. It has FM and voice recorder, and like many other runs on one AAA. After about 9 months now, sound quality is good with the Etymotic ER6i's and the unit has been trouble free.

For opinions and reading until your eyes bleed go to:

Here

Good Luck!

--G