MPG

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With just over 2k miles on my 06 and mixed hwy 70-80mph, city 35-50mph I've been getting 39 - 41 mpg since day one with no change what so ever. I'm really surprised thet the AVG mpg indicator has been accurate to actual all along as well!

I must really run the shit out of mine, I dont think I have hit 30 yet. I mostly ride to work, short rides (couple of hours) on the weekends. I do like the hum of 9g shifts, maybe that is why. :D

Low of 32 MPG, riding with my son. (CBR600RR, and we don't spare the horses)

High of 52 MPG, across the Dragon and Cherohala Skyway. (Cops all over the place)

Avg of 41 while touring, and 38 commuting and pleasure riding.

I'm OK with all those figures.

By the way, my '03 Mustang Cobra gets 13 MPG daily, and 21 on the highway, cruise set and don't touch the gas.

I'm OK with those figures, too. :yahoo:

I commute daily and I've been getting 33-34mpg according to the onboard computer it's pretty lame but whatev.

Average 41mpg, had a high tank of 45 once and a low tank of 38.

Rode yesterday on the interstate, most of the ride was at 80, got 43mpg on that tank.

I'm surprised of how well it does, my 900 Airhead will get 48mpg, my previous 1150R averaged 38 and both of them required premium fuel, I'm happy with it.

I'll have to shoot for that 50mpg mark.

Last edited by a moderator:
Newly broken in '07:

A. Pussy-riding: 44-48mpg

B. Riding like I mean it: 30-32mpg

C. 2-up riding returns to style A, high 30s mpg

Backroads hard into the high 30s

Commuting = 47.5-49

High speed highway with the +4+4 shield up = 46-48

Granma highway style = 50+

I don't think you can trust the trip computer numbers. When riding like a bat outta hell with the SRO group in Arkansas (abusing the engine, transmission, and tires, etc.), mine showed 46 mpg. But then dropped back to 41 on the freeway cruise back home.

I had a ZG1000 and averaged around 37/38. With the same style of riding I'm averaging around 42 on the FJR1300. If I ride easy I can get more.

Low to mid 40s around town, near 50 at constant cruising speeds (not far north of the posted 70 limit) on the highway. Last night's commute of 70 miles (one-up with satchel, fiddled with the windshield height to maximize mpg, rear tire at 43 psi and front at 39.5) saw 52 mpg at 67-68 mph. My mpg varies significantly with temp, small tire pressure changes, and frequency (and quality) of throttle body syncs. I saw an initial drop in mpg when I switched to a Uni foam air filter, but for whatever reason (possibly taking it out after 1k to snoop around and reinstalling it after wiping a bit of excess filter oil) that has gone away.

One of the variables is the octane rating of the fuel you have been using. Although not required premium will give slightly higher mpg due to more energy available in the fuel.

So including altitude and octane rating of the gas you use may make this a bit more understandable.

I use regular (87) and live below 1000 ft. In the short time I rode my new-to-me 2005 this fall I was getting just over 40 mpg. My bike only has just over 2k miles on it so it's still breaking in and millage may improve.

RRA