MPH

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My '06 reads +2 at 80. This is with 020's that have 2,500 miles on them. Varience in tire brands and treadwear alone can account for all of what is posted here.

Had a couple of really great days ridin' this weekend. Yesterday I had just turned north on Hwy. 45 off of 412 and was picking up speed when I spotted a state trooper parked at a gas station on the right. Backed it down real quick and putted by. Well, he jumps in right behind me and just follows me real close for a couple miles. So I'm trying to ride, watch my speed and waiting for blue lights. I'm checking the speedo and figuring 55/60 ought to be about right but it felt like I was doing 30. So then I'm thinking he's going to stop me for going too slow. When I got to War Eagle Creek I slowed down even more and did the tourist rubberneck thing as I crossed the bridge. After crossing he did a U turn and went the other way. Anyway I'm wondering if anyone has actually checked to see how much error there is. It sure seems off.

This one has been discussed at length a lot of times. A quick search yielded this as just one topic: click here

I rode 350 miles this weekend on my new 08. I brought along my gps this ride and noticed that my bike speedo is off by about 4 MPH. 70 on the speedo showed 66 on my gps.

At the risk of repeating what may already have been said--I was out yesterday and checked it with my gps--sure enough it was off. I figured the error was just under 5% as the total error increased as speed increased and seemed to be consistant. I have seen speed-o-meter error expressed in % before, so this made sense.

"speedo healer" ???
A speedo healer is a device that wires into your bike that will offset the pulses coming from the transponder and going to the speedometer - you can set the ratio value (up or down) in order to accurately calibrate your speedomener.

Someone mentioned the 'yellow box'. Same concept, same interface, different manufacturer.

There's a brand new healer with the plugs arranged for plug-and-play on Gen-1 bikes at auction on Ebay for cheap, though it can easily be wired in to Gen-2s - installation instructions for Gen-IIs can be found on Fred Harmon's site.

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...269501&rd=1

One side benefit is that the healer will 'remember' your top speed and this can be recalled by pressing a button on the healer. It generates a pulse stream for a few seconds to make the speedo read whatever it did when you were horsing around.

Once installed, it will be within the accuracy of the device you use to calibrate the unit - I used my GPS. My speedo is now bang-on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine is off about 3 mph at freeway speeds (my Goldwing is as well). At 160 indicated, the GPS shows 151 - every time! :blink: