Muzzy Conclusion

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the pics guys -- well explained, Fencer, and that pic of MSC's showing the peg adds enough to your depiction that I can see exactly why a hard right hander is a problem. Until I saw that, I was thinking that MAYBE I could set up the suspension to avoid the problem, but if it's out THERE to the right that far, I don't see how that'll work.

Shit, shit, shit!!! The system is sitting in my garage right now, and it IS a thing of beauty, but not if it's going to kill me or my GF.

Muzzy needs to take a look at this thread, at MSC's complaint and his pipe, and the president needs to spend a couple bucks on his attorney to get an idea of how big a hole a wrongful death lawsuit or two will put in the company. I sure hope no one here gets hurt or killed because Muzzy continues to sell an unsafe accessory that removes the rear tire from the ground while the bike is otherwise operating within the limits of the FJR's design with the OEM pipe. At the least, the company needs to warn of this known defect, but then, few of us would have bought it if we didn't think Muzzy had corrected the problem with their first redesign. I can't help but wonder how different the redesigned pipe is from the original.

Thanks for the pics guys -- well explained, Fencer, and that pic of MSC's showing the peg adds enough to your depiction that I can see exactly why a hard right hander is a problem. Until I saw that, I was thinking that MAYBE I could set up the suspension to avoid the problem, but if it's out THERE to the right that far, I don't see how that'll work.
Shit, shit, shit!!! The system is sitting in my garage right now, and it IS a thing of beauty, but not if it's going to kill me or my GF.

Muzzy needs to take a look at this thread, at MSC's complaint and his pipe, and the president needs to spend a couple bucks on his attorney to get an idea of how big a hole a wrongful death lawsuit or two will put in the company. I sure hope no one here gets hurt or killed because Muzzy continues to sell an unsafe accessory that removes the rear tire from the ground while the bike is otherwise operating within the limits of the FJR's design with the OEM pipe. At the least, the company needs to warn of this known defect, but then, few of us would have bought it if we didn't think Muzzy had corrected the problem with their first redesign. I can't help but wonder how different the redesigned pipe is from the original.
I concur....mine came at the end of last week...I think I'll probably try it & if it doesn't work I'll fab my own mid pipe, or try a little something different for shape in the mid pipe....got between 2-4 weeks to figure it out (weather dependent)....(FYI Rich...mine's an 04)

Last edited by a moderator:
If Muzzy is supplying a known to be unsafe product, the liablity exposure to them is just enormous. I think this will come to a head in the near future and hope that the reasonable side of Muzzy prevails. From other posts, it seems that it has a Dr. Reasonable or Mr. Bonehead personality, depending on who answers the phone.

If Muzzy is supplying a known to be unsafe product, the liablity exposure to them is just enormous. I think this will come to a head in the near future and hope that the reasonable side of Muzzy prevails. From other posts, it seems that it has a Dr. Reasonable or Mr. Bonehead personality, depending on who answers the phone.
I hope it does come to a head with a reasonable remedy, too. IF it's possible to fix this problem ONLY by modifying the mid pipe, then maybe I can be a happy camper by having the system I have really wanted. My concern is that the header pipe may have to be modified to put the collector in a place that will allow a redesigned mid pipe to remain out of the touch down zone. I'd work with them either way if they were committed to getting this right.

In the next couple days, I'm going to have to address this -- I'm NOT going to put something on my bike that makes me have to choose grabbing a handful of brake mid-corner instead of pushing the bike lower when I need to make an in corner correction due to a decreasing radius or suddenly perceived hazard. It's taken decades to train that dangerous brake correction out of myself (mostly) and I'm damned if I want to be doing the right thing, only to lever the rear wheel off the ground and do the classic lowside (or lowside then high side) into the weeds or oncoming traffic.

I'm going to give them time to receive MotorSWATCop's pipe and then I'm going to be calling and writing Muzzy.

UPS picked up the pipe this morning. I hope they are planning to look at it closely. I really think that they believe that I am the exception or something. In my conversation with Curt; he stated I have been the first person to make the redesigned pipe touch. I do not believe that I am the only FJR rider who leans to the right.

UPS picked up the pipe this morning. I hope they are planning to look at it closely. I really think that they believe that I am the exception or something. In my conversation with Curt; he stated I have been the first person to make the redesigned pipe touch. I do not believe that I am the only FJR rider who leans to the right.
Maybe they (muzzy) likes to think so.....you never know

Well, most of them were sold in California. Hah!

I think some of you are nuts. I can't believe there are some who are still hoping this gets resolved. Muzzy already had one shot at fixing this the right way, and from all appearances they failed miserably. So, you guys want this system that bad that you are willing to believe anything you want to hear - i.e. when Muzzy soon says they have now *officially* fixed it for good?

After quicksilver's initial experience, and now MSC's, I wouldn't be touching a Muzzy system with a 10 foot pole. Ever. These are the kinds of business practices that usually get vendors crucified around here. Go figure.

I kind of think this pipe is all Muzzy can do. Lately OEM's have been going to underseat exhaust for more clearance. I know some aftermarket exhaust on cruisers (i.e. Harleys) will scrape practically by changing lanes and these pipe manufactures have been in business for a long time. Even Harley pipes will cut a grove in the asphalt if leaned over far enough. Muzzy will just say that this is the limit for the bike/pipe combination.

Bill

I think some of you are nuts. I can't believe there are some who are still hoping this gets resolved. Muzzy already had one shot at fixing this the right way, and from all appearances they failed miserably. So, you guys want this system that bad that you are willing to believe anything you want to hear - i.e. when Muzzy soon says they have now *officially* fixed it for good?
After quicksilver's initial experience, and now MSC's, I wouldn't be touching a Muzzy system with a 10 foot pole. Ever. These are the kinds of business practices that usually get vendors crucified around here. Go figure.
Yeah, well, my pipe from the Group Buy arrived yesterday. IF MotorSWATCop's experience with and post about the "redesigned" Muzzy system had preceded my order in the group buy and the subsequent cross country shipment of that pipe, YOU CAN DAMN WELL BET I wouldn't have the dilemma of a new Muzzy pipe sitting in my garage right now. Now that I have it, I'd prefer to have it fixed than to put the aggravation on PartMonster and further sully the group buy efforts of some good folks.

It's not the vendor's fault (Part Monster) nor Warchild's fault, nor even my own that I bought a pipe that is now reported to drag dangerously in right handers. I damn well thought, from all reports prior to MotorSWATCop's that Muzzy had taken care of this problem. (I mean, why redesign something unless you are going to take care of the problem the redesign is aimed at?) If it were a simple matter to return the damn thing, I'd do it.

BTW, exactly what is the Group Buy etiquette on this now that it turns out that the manufacturer dropped the ball in a big way? Something akin to this happened with the Carozzerria wheel GB for Blackbirds -- manufacturer supplied polished wheels instead of the advertised clear anodized for the silver wheels (though the gold and black wheels that were shipped were anodized). But for the near heroic pain in the ass that Mike at CTSmoto undertook as the middleman in that GB, it would have ended badly. But he managed to fix it so that the manufacturer took back any polished wheels that disgruntled buyers wanted to send back to be done with it, AND he got the manufacturer to clear anodize one last batch of wheels for those of us willing to wait and go that route. I have the clear anodized wheels on my Blackbird. I'm sure WC can amplify what kind of job Mike did for us on that one -- well above and beyond what many vendors would have done -- and which undoubtedly cost him a LOT of uncompensated time and headache. One of the reasons I have bought from him since, too (Pazzo levers and Traxxion and Penske suspension for the XX).

I've had a full Muzzy system on my '05 for the last five months. It's been flawless. No scrapes, no problems. With the Muzzy map loaded in my PC III, this bike has become a monster performer, especially above 4500 rpm. In fact, if I roll-on to wot from a standing start, for some reason, when the tach needle gets near the number five, somehow my headlight turns into a searchlight looking for Lucy in the sky.Fun, fun, fun. Cruising on the superslab around 90 and then twisting the wick, hang on because that FJR is leaving in a BIG hurry, with or without the rider. I have the stock suspension, with the rear set to firm. I weigh about 150 with riding gear. I placed my order through Dave, and he was more than cordial. Granted, this was five months ago. I felt it only fair to give Muzzy some positive press because for me, it's been a very positive experience. Well worth the money.

Ron

fjr4me

:rolleyes:

MSC, Make sure they understand that I also touched this pipe and I an no place near the level rider you are.

On the otherhand/ You could just have a NASCAR bike. There is no left pipe so feel free to lean all the way over.

New FJR slogan. "Just Turrn Left" :D

I've had a full Muzzy system on my '05 for the last five months. It's been flawless. No scrapes, no problems.
I'd like to be encouraged, but I understand that there are very few twisty roads to be found in Florida, though I can't vouch for that, having never been there. So, a question: Since installing the pipe, have you touched down your right peg scraper? If yes, have you done so in a hard corner when you were compressing the suspension? I'm not doubting what you say, just trying to find out whether this pipe is likely to be a problem for the kind of riding I most often do (California mountains). Right now, I'm tending to believe that MSC and Fencer have given me most of that answer.

Well, hell. I installed my Muzzy system last week and have ridden about 125, semi-aggressive, miles since. No scraping of any parts, including the pegs. I have upgraded suspension from the GB a couple of months ago (GP front forks and Penske shock). I'll take the weight saving, awesome sound and performance, combined with the PCIII, and good lokks of the Muzzy and just be thoughtful of right-handers until I'm totally confident that no hard parts will touch down. Worst case scenario, I'll go to a local shop and have a new mid-pipe fabed up. The full Muzzy system is still well worth it for me. BTW, I went with the 4-2-1 and oval carbon fiber can.

I'll take the weight saving, awesome sound and performance, combined with the PCIII, and good lokks of the Muzzy and just be thoughtful of right-handers until I'm totally confident that no hard parts will touch down.
Being thoughtful while leaned way over and hard on the gas is not the time or place to find out if the Muzzy is going to touch down before a peg feeler.

It's a no brain-er, remove that exhaust system immediately or risk serious damage to both bike and limbs. Lifting the rear wheel while being in the vicinity of the triple digit range will only ever end in catastrophe, there's absolutely no wiggle room for this problem.

Here's some facts to help those of you considering the Muzzy 4-2-1 system for the 06 FJR.

I'm 42 years old. 6'0", 230 lbs. My bike has the stock suspension adjusted to my weight and riding style. I like my suspension on the hard side. Pre-load is up. I am currently running Pirelli Diablo Stradas. Last Wednesday, I was running 40 psi in the front and 42 psi in the rear. I did not reduce my tire pressure, like I usually do, because it was my first trip to Deal's in several months and I did not intend to thrash the bike. I had 2 guys w/ me who had not ridden there before and I did not want them to push. Most importantly, I know the road up there and I know my capabilities.

I have nothing to gain by trashing Muzzy and that's not what I'm trying to do. I'm not going to sue them or anything like that. I just want people to know what happened to me. With a Penske shock and AK-20 cartridges; maybe I wouldn't have dragged. I would be a dickhead though, if I didn't put the word out about a possible problem that I have firsthand knowledge of. If you feel comfortable w/ the system; go for it. I just don't feel like i should have to pay an additional $250+++ to make a factory system safe for my bike. If it fucks up then, who's fault is it?

This whole thread is just my .02 and that 'aint worth much.

Well, hell. I installed my Muzzy system last week and have ridden about 125, semi-aggressive, miles since. No scraping of any parts, including the pegs. I have upgraded suspension from the GB a couple of months ago (GP front forks and Penske shock). I'll take the weight saving, awesome sound and performance, combined with the PCIII, and good lokks of the Muzzy and just be thoughtful of right-handers until I'm totally confident that no hard parts will touch down. Worst case scenario, I'll go to a local shop and have a new mid-pipe fabed up. The full Muzzy system is still well worth it for me. BTW, I went with the 4-2-1 and oval carbon fiber can.

Careful of those mid-corner bumps.

The bottom line for me is very simple; If I have to invest another $100 - $200 for a new, custome made mid-pipe, that's fine with me. The rest of the attributes of this system is worth the additional investment, if required. Thanks MSC for making all of us aware of this issue.

Here's some facts to help those of you considering the Muzzy 4-2-1 system for the 06 FJR.
I'm 42 years old. 6'0", 230 lbs. My bike has the stock suspension adjusted to my weight and riding style. I like my suspension on the hard side. Pre-load is up. I am currently running Pirelli Diablo Stradas. Last Wednesday, I was running 40 psi in the front and 42 psi in the rear. I did not reduce my tire pressure, like I usually do, because it was my first trip to Deal's in several months and I did not intend to thrash the bike. I had 2 guys w/ me who had not ridden there before and I did not want them to push. Most importantly, I know the road up there and I know my capabilities.

I have nothing to gain by trashing Muzzy and that's not what I'm trying to do. I'm not going to sue them or anything like that. I just want people to know what happened to me. With a Penske shock and AK-20 cartridges; maybe I wouldn't have dragged. I would be a dickhead though, if I didn't put the word out about a possible problem that I have firsthand knowledge of. If you feel comfortable w/ the system; go for it. I just don't feel like i should have to pay an additional $250+++ to make a factory system safe for my bike. If it fucks up then, who's fault is it?

This whole thread is just my .02 and that 'aint worth much.
I, for one, am very glad that you are sharing this negative experience with us. I recently installed the Muzzy system but have not been on the road yet with it. I was hesitant to buy from Muzzy because of the previous problems reported here, but I really like the idea of losing 30 pounds and the heat from the cat so I'm going to leave it on until I get a chance to try it out. I hope, perhaps in vain, that Muzzy will redesign the midpipe and offer the new design to all of us. I believe there is room for a better design that brings the pipe in closer to the frame.

Please keep us aware of any news you get from Muzzy.