Muzzy not so bad after all

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

03silverbullet

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Admin Note: December 21, 2006: The initial problem described by 03silverbullet below appears to have been solved by Muzzy.

I just had the Muzzy pipe and Power Commander installed and dyno tuned by L&L Motorsports in Little Rock ca. Lou did an excellent job installing the the pipe, and I gained about 10HP.

As I was going around a sharp right hand turn, I heard a loud grinding noise. It was not my pegs. I pull over and looked at the pipe and I see a big scrape from the end of the the header in to the mid pipe.

I was not pushing the bike that hard, and I was allready scraping the pipe. I had never scraped the stock exhaust.

I have a Wilbers shock in the back with the preload cranked all the way up.

I complained to Dave at Muzzy and he said " we have sold hundreds of pipes for the FJR and never heard of this problem". For some reason, I find that hard to believe. Since I have invested so much time and money into this project, I was hoping for a solution.The only solution they came up with was to return the pipe and get a refund.

It is amazing to me that a big co. like Muzzy would sell a product with so little testing.

I should have bought the Holeshots.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just had the Muzzy pipe and Power Commander installed and dyno tuned by L&L Motorsports in Little Rock ca. Lou did an excellent job installing the the pipe, and I gained about 10HP.
As I was going around a sharp right hand turn, I heard a loud grinding noise. It was not my pegs. I pull over and looked at the pipe and I see a big scrape from the end of the the header in to the mid pipe.

I was not pushing the bike that hard, and I was allready scraping the pipe. I had never scraped the stock exhaust.

I complained to Dave at Muzzy and he said " we have sold hundreds of pipes for the FJR and never heard of this problem". For some reason, I find that hard to believe. Since I have invested so much time and money into this project, I was hoping for a solution.The only solution they came up with was to return the pipe and get a refund.

It is amazing to me that a big co. like Muzzy would sell a product with so little testing.

I should have bought the Holeshots. How much do you weigh? I have the Muxzzy system but yet to install it.

I should have bought the Holeshots.
How much do you weigh? Anyone else with this problem?

Uh oh....no response....billy's a big boy. Hm....maybe he might be a sumo wrestler. Just kidding, of course....but, if you are a sumo wrestler I can run faster then you. lol

No matter what he weighs, if the stock pipe didn't scrape then I would expect the same from the Muzzy. Guess I can take their system off my wish list.

Any hard parts touching down before peg feelers is a bad thing and has the potential to ruin your day in a hurry. If it were me, I would take the offer of a refund and move on.

Send them back and get your refund. Then call Dale Walker of Holeshots and order your Holeshot full system. They are of the highest quality. The header w/o cats helps the heat in slowdowns and performs flawlessly. I have the full system with a custom map done at Dale's mechanic's shop. Never ran so smooth and with power. I am a happy camper.

I'm assuming then you did a before and after dyno run. How was the curve? I am curious not so much about the top end but what the comparison is in the 3000-5000 range.

Dragging the pipe DOES suck!

I'm assuming then you did a before and after dyno run. How was the curve? I am curious not so much about the top end but what the comparison is in the 3000-5000 range.

Dragging the pipe DOES suck!
I gained HP through out the power curve with most of the gain on top.

However, all the HP in the world is useless if you can't take a turn.

I will try to scan the dyno chart later.

Any hard parts touching down before peg feelers is a bad thing and has the potential to ruin your day in a hurry. If it were me, I would take the offer of a refund and move on.
Who offered the refund? Muzzy or a retailer? I have a system new in the box and may do likewise but the retailer wants a substantial restocking fee.

Who offered the refund? Muzzy or a retailer? I have a system new in the box and may do likewise but the retailer wants a substantial restocking fee.
The retailer was University Motors and Gary has been great about this whole thing.

Of course he has been on the phone working things out with Muzzy.

Before you give up on your new exhaust system, take a look at how your suspension is set up. You mentioned a Wilbers shock in back set to max preload. Did you consider that this might have caused a significant change in geometry, with the back of the bike sitting higher than normal and the softly sprung front sitting lower than normal? Now you go into a turn and the weak ass stock fork springs compress even further and your pipe starts dragging.

Now, I'm sure the Muzzy is different from the stock pipe and prolly sits lower to the ground. But a stiffer set of fork springs and some adjustments to the front might be in order as well. Just an idea. :)

FJR1300_OSS.jpg

hdr9.jpg

Sure looks like Muzzy's pipe hangs a little lower. Post up some ground clearance measurements when you post up the road scrape pics. Then we can throw out some comparable clearance numbers and see if your the lowest.

Also as you only 180 #'s why is the preload maxed out unless Wilbers dorked up another spring rate setup ?

Is this the 4-2-1 pipe setup also ?

Have the front spring been replaced ?

FJR1300_OSS.jpg

hdr9.jpg

It scraps about 2" back from the oxygen sensor hole. I know i tried it out last night,came home and checked,

and yep it hits. Looks like they need more angle up on the last part of the header.

Before you give up on your new exhaust system, take a look at how your suspension is set up. You mentioned a Wilbers shock in back set to max preload. Did you consider that this might have caused a significant change in geometry, with the back of the bike sitting higher than normal and the softly sprung front sitting lower than normal? Now you go into a turn and the weak ass stock fork springs compress even further and your pipe starts dragging.

Now, I'm sure the Muzzy is different from the stock pipe and prolly sits lower to the ground. But a stiffer set of fork springs and some adjustments to the front might be in order as well. Just an idea. :)

Thanks, but the scraping is towards the rear of the bike and I dont think stiffer fork springs will help.

I never had a problem with the stock exhaust.