My 05 FJR vs. HD

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McRidin

Reaction score
Hey pilots,

I just wanted to say that I bought my 05 FJR in May with 2000KM's on it and I now have 11,000KM's.

I'm really loving this bike.

This is bike number 15 for me and so far it's the best street machine ever.

All the riding I have done so far has been in the Rocky Mountains of British Columbia Canada so I've really put the bike to the test.

Next year I want to do highway 101 from B.C. to California.

Then I want to do the Grand Canyon.

My best friend and riding buddy has a new 08 HD and it keeps giving him problems.

It's been in the shop 5 times this summer.

Nice looking bike but I think I would be screaming mad if I missed a whole summer of great riding and had a 30K investment sitting in the shop.

I'm not sure if that is the norm for HD's.

I have read some other posts here that seem to confirm that the HD requires allot of maintenance.

Once my buddies warranty runs out he won't be able to afford to gas up his bike if it keeps breaking down.

For my money the FJR is the ticket.

Thanks.

McRidin

Hey cool, I picked up my '05 FJR about the same time. It had 12k miles then and 21k now. You're right, they are great bikes I love riding it. But, I also have an '05 Harley Road Glide which I love. It has 44,000 trouble free miles on it and I like riding it as much ans the FJR. Two totaly different bikes that take putting away the miles in different ways.

I'm sorry to hear about your friends Harley, it shouldn't be having the problems that he is having. Usually the problem isn't the bike but, the people messing with it.

Enjoy your FJR you've got a lot of miles......smiles?........ahead of you.

DC

Man, that original post sounds trollish....

Trolling%202.jpg

Thank God you didn't feel the compulsion to list all 15 of your "bikes" and all the damn places you have been in the signature like so many feel the need to do to validate their expertise. (assuming you are not lying through your teeth....and I am giving you the benefit of the doubt here)

I've had a couple of HD touring bikes, a rkc 2000 model that I put 20K on, and an 04 ultra classic that I put 26K on, no maintenance issues. But hell, everything breaks down sooner or later. Shit wears out, worms out, drops off, leaks out, sucks in, makes a noise, causes a vibration, WTF. Thats part of it.

Remember this is the FJR forum, and we really don't give a shit about your friends HD. That's his problem, not yours or ours.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of the replies seem a little harsh! I took the time and read McRidin's other posts and non of them seem to be Trollish (is that a word?). His post seems legitimate to me including his statement that he has had 15 other bikes. I have seen other "Veteran" members of the forum mention the number of prior bikes in relation to explaining how much they like their FJR. It would seem that McRidin feels that after owning 15 bikes he might have a good point of reference when stating his appreciation for the FJR. It sounds like his friends experiences with his new HD only helps to enforce this.

"Remember this is the FJR forum, and we really don't give a shit about your friends HD. That's his problem, not yours or ours." As I recall I have read MANY, MANY post on this forum where other bikes are mentioned and their performance or maintenance issues are discussed and compared to the FJR. I didn't know we only drank FJR Cool-Aid here. I guess I need to go back and read the forum rules again. :blink:

...maybe that explains the seemingly unreasonable harsh treatment?
Could be. Or maybe some member's wives boss won't let them ride their FJR and that's why they're so pissy. :unsure:
Oh Yea, well I told her, I mean the boss that I am going riding and that's final. :argue: Still waiting on her decision. :axesmiley:

I purchased an American made BMC Chopper in '04...and I have had nothing but problems.

It has left me stranded 3 times. I almost had to do a lemon law on the motorcycle.

I recently bought an '05 FJR. I ride the FJR to work and back as much as I can. (300 mile a week).

The BMC has put such a bad taste in my mouth for American made motorcyles that I I will

probably never buy an american made motorcycle again.

A friend of mine just bought a brand new HD Roadking ($24,000). The fit & finish on the motorcycle

is horrible for that kind of money. They use black zip ties to hold the brake lines to the frame!!!!!!!!!

I guess it's just hard for me to pay an extra $10,000 for a name and spend an extra $4-5,000 to make it

a true HD.

WOW ,,,Sounds like a tough crowd around here,,,, Sounds like a few grumpy old farts that haven't had enough fiber or something..

Glad you like your FJR ..... :yahoo:

Thank God you didn't feel the compulsion to list all 15 of your "bikes" and all the damn places you have been in the signature like so many feel the need to do to validate their expertise. (assuming you are not lying through your teeth....and I am giving you the benefit of the doubt here)
I've had a couple of HD touring bikes, a rkc 2000 model that I put 20K on, and an 04 ultra classic that I put 26K on, no maintenance issues. But hell, everything breaks down sooner or later. Shit wears out, worms out, drops off, leaks out, sucks in, makes a noise, causes a vibration, WTF. Thats part of it.

Remember this is the FJR forum, and we really don't give a shit about your friends HD. That's his problem, not yours or ours.
+1, I couldn't have said it better myself. Especially the last line. But if you must know I have owned 3 HDs and they were all stone axe reliable.

+1, I couldn't have said it better myself. Especially the last line. But if you must know I have owned 3 HDs and they were all stone axe reliable.

I think you both need to get back on your meds and not be flaming this guy, who in my opinion seemed like an entusiastic FJR owner and wanted to express his excitement. Lighten up or get off the bus!

A lot of people change their tune right before they kick the bucket and realize that they've been jerkovitzes for way too long...no need for nasty replies...nothing cool about them.