My 59 cent helmet hook

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Guy

Reaction score
I don't like just setting the helmet on the saddle and hoping it doesn't get blown or knocked off, and the handlebar end hangers let the helmet contact the paint job. So I went to Home Depot and found this. OK, I had to buy two for $1.18, but I've still got one left over for another project ;)

Of course it's not secure, but I can still use the cable for that. This is just to use while pumping gas, etc.

Helmethook1_zpsfb7faebe.jpg

Helmethook2_zps62e19e71.jpg

I might just be stopping at the hardware store on my way home.
It's actually one of these in 3/16" shortened and made into a hook with a hacksaw. A little dressing up with a file, a couple of washers and nuts, and it's a helmet hook.

66e04962-d5af-45e3-8d15-a0a83e15cc73_300.jpg

You're gonna rip yer 'nads off on that thing!
OUCH!!
If I'm riding along with my 'nads near the license plate, I probably don't deserve them
smile.png

Looks like your helmet is very close to hot pipes. See Helmet Pegs for your clutch and brake levers..
Not as close as it looks in the picture. On the sidestand, the helmet hangs about centered between them and 8 or 9 inches back.

See post to Fred. I just don't see how hanging them from the bar ends would keep it off the paint.

Then there's the part about 59 cents. ;)

Interesting, I ask because my helmet only comes off if I am with a group and we'll be hanging out for a bit. Heck, I get crap because I actually get off my bike to pump gas but with these stubby little legs it's hard to do the whole gas up thing sitting on my bike. Looks like a trick solution for cheap. I like cheap.
biggrin.png

Interesting, I ask because my helmet only comes off if I am with a group and we'll be hanging out for a bit...
^^^This.

I bought a dual license plate holder helmet lock for me and the wifey.

Kudos to the OP for sharing with the class. It may be something you try ...or not. But atleast he shared.

Interesting, I ask because my helmet only comes off if I am with a group and we'll be hanging out for a bit. Heck, I get crap because I actually get off my bike to pump gas but with these stubby little legs it's hard to do the whole gas up thing sitting on my bike. Looks like a trick solution for cheap. I like cheap.
biggrin.png
Since the incident in the 80s involving a crotchful of gasoline, I always get off to fill up ;)

Where I live I ride in 90+ degrees often, and when I'm off the bike I often remove the helmet ASAP to get some air to the old noggin. But as you say, the most likely use for the hook will be when stopped with my friends and there's no need to secure the helmet to the bike.

Where I live I ride in 90+ degrees often, and when I'm off the bike I often remove the helmet ASAP to get some air to the old noggin. But as you say, the most likely use for the hook will be when stopped with my friends and there's no need to secure the helmet to the bike.
I get ya, you'll notice I'm in Dallas so I know the hot weather. Usually I'm gassing up as quick as possible in the summer to get moving again and have air flow. Removing and putting the helmet on takes extra time. Oh yea, and the only thing nastier than wearing a soggy sweaty helmet is putting it back on after your head has dried off. YUCK!

Crotch full of gasoline? Yea, I think I'll keep getting off the bike to fuel up.
biggrin.png

Gone are the days of putting your helmet on the mirror stalk? That's where mine always goes... secure enough to never be blown off or hit the ground because of it.

PS... forgot to mention... no extra cost.

Last edited by a moderator: