My AE had a hiccup

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fastmax

Reaction score
Here is what happened with my bike tonight. I was going very slowly in traffic. (I was actually on Main St in Daytona checking out the pre-Biketoberfest party) I was keeping the bike in clutch slippage, using very little throttle and just inching along at less than 5 MPH. Suddenly I noticed I was slowing, I gave it more throttle and it just revved up. I pulled off to the side, as I was stopping I revved it a time or two and there was no clutch engagement at all. The indicator still said the bike was in 1st gear. I put it in neutral, put it back in gear, and everything worked perfectly again. Any guesses as to what my computer thought was going on that it disengaged the clutch completely while I was moving? Anybody else had anything like this?

Roy

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is what happened with my bike tonight. I was going very slowly in traffic. (I was actually on Main St in Daytona checking out the pre-Biketoberfest party) I was keeping the bike in clutch slippage, using very little throttle and just inching along at less than 5 MPH. Suddenly I noticed I was slowing, I gave it more throttle and it just revved up. I pulled off to the side, as I was stopping I revved it a time or two and there was no clutch engagement at all. The indicator still said the bike was in 1st gear. I put it in neutral, put it back in gear, and everything worked perfectly again. Any guesses as to what my computer thought was going on that it disengaged the clutch completely while I was moving? Anybody else had anything like this?Roy
Strange. My AE has never done that.

My AE stalled once as I was slowing to about 1-3 mph.

bike just stalled out

The other 1,850 miles have been great!

I've heard from a couple AE owners that if your coasting in neutral ( like down the driveway ) and try to put it in gear the computer will not allow that to happen. Maybe your computer thought it was in neutral? Foot resting on the shift lever causing the computer to think it was neutral ?

I spoke with another AE owner from Reno at the Alice's gig and he's had problems with his from day one, and his dealer is no help.

I've heard from a couple AE owners that if your coasting in neutral ( like down the driveway ) and try to put it in gear the computer will not allow that to happen. Maybe your computer thought it was in neutral? Foot resting on the shift lever causing the computer to think it was neutral ?I spoke with another AE owner from Reno at the Alice's gig and he's had problems with his from day one, and his dealer is no help.
Maybe the AE needs some sort of manual override to allow the user to control the clutch directly in such situations. I don't know what sort of form such a clutch control would take on, though. Should it be hand or foot operated? Where on the bike is there room for such a thing? I mean, the bike has controls all over it as it is. Hey, I know....

Maybe the AE needs some sort of manual override to allow the user to control the clutch directly in such situations. I don't know what sort of form such a clutch control would take on, though. Should it be hand or foot operated? Where on the bike is there room for such a thing? I mean, the bike has controls all over it as it is. Hey, I know....
Ahem, last I checked, there's room for a clutch lever in the usual place, on the left handlebar. B) I figure that's what you were getting at... :clapping:

I think I had a similar problem the other day, but it solved itself before I got a clear idea of what happened. However, I had another problem last week, and here I know what happened...I was slowing for a stop light and I found I could not shift down, nor would the clutch disengage. So I bumped to a stop. There was a warning code, but I do not remember the code itself. I was able to clear the problem by turning off the ignition, and then restarting. I figure I was rebooting the computer or something. I hope this is no indication of the future. With this kind of heavily computerized bike I expect quite a bit of cost in long term maintenance, but none of us can tolerate problem that could get stranded somewhere.

I've experienced the same thing; however, I think I stopped in 2nd gear. The bike would not shift to 1st and I received a trouble code and the shift light was on. I was able to rev the engine to 4,000 rpm and nothing? I turned the ignition off and on again, which cleared the problem.

Problem #2, when I hit that funny red line at 9K rpm, the clutch slips.....WTF? I'm not trying to claymore the engine block......just having fun!

Here is what happened with my bike tonight. I was going very slowly in traffic. (I was actually on Main St in Daytona checking out the pre-Biketoberfest party) I was keeping the bike in clutch slippage, using very little throttle and just inching along at less than 5 MPH. Suddenly I noticed I was slowing, I gave it more throttle and it just revved up.
It sounds like your rpm's just went under the engagement point and it disengaged as it's designed to do.

If it happens again, try raising revs past 2,500 rpm and you should feel it re-engage normally.

I put it in neutral, put it back in gear, and everything worked perfectly again.
That's what it sounds like happened. Especially since you don't mention an error code and that things went straight back to normal went you shifted back in 1st.

Bruno

Montreal, Canada

https://pages.videotron.com/mcrides

Last edited by a moderator:
I've experienced the same thing; however, I think I stopped in 2nd gear. The bike would not shift to 1st and I received a trouble code and the shift light was on. I was able to rev the engine to 4,000 rpm and nothing? I turned the ignition off and on again, which cleared the problem.
Speaking of which, did it ever re-occur?

Problem #2, when I hit that funny red line at 9K rpm, the clutch slips.....WTF? I'm not trying to claymore the engine block......just having fun!
If your clutch is slipping you should get an error code. Do you?

Bruno

Montreal, Canada

https://pages.videotron.com/mcrides

Mcrides, no it hasn't happened again, I have about 4,000 miles on her now.

The red line slip doesn't display an error code, it just feels like the YCCS is trying to keep me under control.

I have had the exact problem with my AE which has 7k miles on it. Never happened until the AE shiftrod brackets were installed under the NON-RECALL. Each time it has happened to me is after deceleration to a stop without have shifted down into 1st gear. I have turned ignition off restarted and it went into first. Something like a bug in the system to me!!

[

I have had the exact problem with my AE which has 7k miles on it. Never happened until the AE shiftrod brackets were installed under the NON-RECALL. Each time it has happened to me is after deceleration to a stop without have shifted down into 1st gear. I have turned ignition off restarted and it went into first. Something like a bug in the system to me!!

Me too. I had the brackets installed and other stuff because the bike flunked the torque test. Only then did I have a problem with it not shifting down or releasing the clutch. However, the last few days I have had no problems. Let us pray.

Dick