My Ass Hurts!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsitalon1

Reaction score
Hey guys,

After my first short trip of about 6.5 hours total, I have got to say that I had no back pain... YEAH! However my ass hurts!!

I don't get it.. the seat always felt comfortable for short trips of 1-2 hours, but after about 3 hours you start to feel pain on your tail bone.

I guess I'll have to sell all my food stamps for a russell. :(

James

Try a Sargent seat and some Pearl Izumi cycling shorts.

I just got back from a 6K mile trip and I love the Sargent!

Try a Sargent seat and some Pearl Izumi cycling shorts.
I just got back from a 6K mile trip and I love the Sargent!
John,

I don't understand why I would spend the money on a sargent seat, and then have to wear cycling pants also.

Isn't the point of the aftermarket seat to be comfortable enought that you don't need to wear cycling pants?

James

Because anytime you have a seam running near your ass, it's going to hurt.

FYI,

Bill Mayer is the only saddle maker that I know who can (is willing to?) build a seat without a seam on the seating surface. Mine is muy comfy...

IMG_0603.jpg

https://billmayersaddles.com/october25homepage.html

So whats the consensus here? That the tailbone pain is caused by the seam ?

I can't go see the bike right now, but I don't remember a seam in that area.

James

Hey guys,
After my first short trip of about 6.5 hours total, I have got to say that I had no back pain... YEAH!    However my ass hurts!!
I don't think your (first?) 6.5 hour ride is sufficient reason to scrap the seat right away.

Run her for several short trips, like over a 3 day weekends, and see how your rear end adapts to the seat (or not).

I'm gonna try just bike shorts first. Someone here or another forum said he'd tried a couple of seats and settled on the the stocker with padded bike shorts.

Biking shorts and riding pants with out pockets will make the trip much easier. Getting rid of seams touching your butt makes a world of difference on the stocker.

I dunno? Are you talking about actual tailbone pain rather than pressure point pain?

It seems to me the answers others have given address pressure point pain, something we all face when breaking-in our posterior to a new seat. If you actually have tailbone pain then you are going to have to rotate your riding postion to get pressure off your tailbone.

It may, indeed, require a different seat, but 1st I'd try a sheepskin pad, a bead cover, or any other of the myriad of "tricks" posted on the boards. Try riding with your footpeg position on the balls of your feet rather than the arches (rotating your leg position relative your "hiney" to the seat) or vice versa. Change your foot position during the ride so that you don't spend 2 or 3 hours in the same position.

Pressure point pain under your thighs or hip joints is one thing. Tailbone pressure could lead to bone bruising which would not be fun.

Damn , 6 hours sitting in my lazyboy watching TV would hurt . Give the bike a break :)

I've done 8 hr rides with nothing but gas breaks and Love my Corbin

Any thoughts on the difference between Bill Mayer and Rick Mayer seats?
Dunno. They both learned from their dad, Mr. Day Long (currently, Russel). I've heard that Rick can be slow. I was very pleased with Bill's company and workmanship.

I thought this thread was tied into the one from Eric over on Micapeak yesterday. :eek:

Move around. Streatch regularly before you start aching (isometrics). Seamless pants/unmentionables. Gold Bond medicated powder. Stand on the pegs occasionally.

Then, when you've spent more money on covers and beads and pads and inserts and different variations of off-the-rack seats than you would have spent on a custom seat in the first place, step up to the plate and go with something built to yours needs and measurements. There are 2 or 3 names that consistently float to the top of the heap in the endurance community. Russell and Mayer are always there for a reason. If you're "security sized" then even Old Man Mayer admitted that he couldn't beat his original (Russell) design using nothing but foam layers like his non-compete agreement restricted him to.

Zzzzzzz*!huh,,,what? You say something Bounce? :huh:

If you don't think 8 hours in the saddle can be comfortable, you're missing something boys. 17 hours after getting on, I had no, zero, nada butt burn with the Russell. And after a 17 hour day, a 12 hour rally and another 17 hour day, I still didn't have any butt burn. Mail order too. 10 days turn around with me checking first to see when they had a window of time to do the saddle. $365 for vinyl, rider only, no pillion seat work.

For the new guys, first off, the stock seat does break in some. It takes some time though. I rode my stock seat for 22k miles. It took 4k to break in and I felt it was noticably better after that time, but still only a 600 mile saddle for me before I got butt burn. FWIW, my prior bike, a Yamaha FZ-1 also took about 3500 miles to break in the stock seat and it was much better after that.

Like Bounce said, you have to move around to keep the circulation going. We all do this to some degree, but it's learned behavior too. With the highway pegs and the Russell, I've found the sweet spot for my riding. All of the custom seats are way better than the stock, especially for the bigger guys.

I like Rich's and he's close to me, but after sitting on Mayer seats, Rich's seats, Corbin and the Russell, talking with and riding with others with custom seats, I decided on the Russell. I noticed that many of the LD and rally guys use the Russell, but I also noted some issues with the rider assisted custom seats. Personally, I don't know squat about seat making. Asking me what I like is next to useless, just make me a good seat. :) When I spoke with the folks at Russell about returns/adjustments, they noted that they get more returns for adjustment by far from the 'ride in' customers and very few from the mail order ones.

Things that make you want to go Hmmmmmmmm. :p

Oh yeah, I'm 260 sans gear and I'm a friggin idiot for waiting so long to get the custom saddle! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
With the highway pegs and the Russell, I've found the sweet spot for my riding.
I'm picturing...

Though you may not drive a great big Cadillac

Gangsta whitewalls

TV antennas in the back

Diamond in the back, sunroof top

Diggin' the scene

With a gangsta lean...

:p