My commute home last night

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I had to go thru that shit to get to work, I'd quit and stay home.

Oh wait... that's what I do now. :blink:

Inarguable conclusion: No job is worth commuting to. ;)

Yea, BTDT in the Bay. And my brother doesn't like El Lay because he says it's "too congested". Same comment for London.

Be careful with that right hand filtering bro, the cagers aren't looking over there

I didnt think the commute was so bad - could you imagime what it would be like in a car?
you know that was only 3 minutes, 45 seconds of it, right? and the full commute takes 45 minutes? :p

My left hand hurts just thinking about it.

You got bigger stones than I do. I know lane splitting is semi legal there, but I don't think I'd be taking those kind of chances. Nice video, thanks for the gut muscle excersizes. :unsure:

If I might be allowed (or not!) to overstep my bounds here:

Listening to the engine note, you are seriously using way too many revs in the friction zone!!!! No wonder you needed a clutch!!!

Slipping the clutch is one thing, but milling it is another. The speed difference across the plates is what's killing it.

If you're revving that much to balance rear brake, then you're using too much rear brake, too.

Aside from that, it really pisses me off to see that kinda hooliganism going on legally, when I'd probably get put in jail and my bike impounded if I were to try those lovely shortcuts in any of my (much shorter) commute. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Be careful with that right hand filtering bro, the cagers aren't looking over there
That's alright -- the LEOs are. :lol:

Seriously -- that gave me several "not worth the risk, oh shit -- I'm gonna get greased" feelings, too, JB. I'd have made quite a few different decisions on that ride. But then, I wouldn't ever again live someplace where I had a commute like that either.

Passing those cars with their blinkers on makes me flinch- passing them in that small space- if they had just started to move into your lane as you passed that would lead to an ooopsie for sure! Here in the Texas Hill country if you come up behind a slower vehicle, they pull over to let you go by- what a concept!

I couldn't help but notice that you committed a number if maneuvers deemed illegal even in the wacko-liberal state of California. I could gloss over these infractions or I could forward this video and your address to the CHP. I have chosen to do the latter. To do otherwise would be to endanger the life of a fellow Forumite, and this I cannot, in good conscience, do. Believe me, you'll thank me for this (if your thankfulness tends to take the form of material gifts and/or filthy lucre (is there any other kind?), PM me and I'll respond with my address).

Entertaining video there JB. You certainly have some superior skills on display, as well as a lot of courage. I too, winced at a couple of passes by cars with turn signals but in all fairness we didn't see the whole picture. It looked as though there was complete gridlock and thus nowhere for the cars to go. They may have also been the ten-minute turn signals e.g. put on, to exit the driveway then ignored for the rest of the trip.

With respect to hooliganism, Mr B is on the mild side in comparison to many of the two wheeled commuters seen here. Certainly no angel though. I guess it's all down to risk versus benefit.

Five days a week, I commute into El Lay County, from behind the great Orange Curtain. My technique is more passive. I've adjusted my hours to get to, and from the work before the heaviest wave of commuters. I will share a lane now and again if I feel like it but doing so adds to my stress level, so it's not often done. I do enjoy riding to the front of the queue exiting the parking structure, who are all waiting in line behind the person who forgot their badge, or parked too far from the reader.

Wonder how long that 45 minute commute would take by car?

+1 about left hand hurting. I'd get a moped with an automatic. It would fit in better with all of those Prius cars, especially in Bazerkley. :swoon2: Seriously, I'd get a thinner bike for that ride, maybe a small dual sport.

Well, JB has done this way too long to just be lucky, so he must be a pretty good judge of traffic. I, too, saw the right hand blinkers, but it looked like most of them were saying to the cars behind and to the right "Please give me some room, so I can move over!"

You sure extended the merge lanes, JB! :D I also noticed that you were close to the gutter a lot. Do you get many punctures?

With all due respect, sir, you are nuts.
[SIZE=12pt]No $#!+.....[/SIZE]

I winced and had many "pucker moments" watching this video. There were many decisions and actions that were beyond what I consider safe, polite or even semi-legal BUT....it's your commute, motorcycle and life.

Uhm, I wonder what some of the instructors/riding school owners would say while doing a critique of this video. Why not send a copy to those on the following list and see what they say?

MSF Basic RiderCourseMSF Experienced RiderCourse (x2)

Reg Pridmore CLASS Motorcycle School

StreetMasters Precision Cornering Workshop

Lee Parks Total Control Advanced Riding Clinic
Walt Fulton, Jr. of Streetmasters once told me, "I can teach you riding technique, I can teach you perception, I can help you understand the dynamics of interacting with your motorcycle but I can't teach you patience. And that's what would most likely preserve your life."

That was fun to watch. Wish we had that option in Oregon and WA. If I tried that here, I would probably get shot or doored before the Police gave me a ticket. I noticed at least one cage move to the left to give you more room. Guess cagers are ok with it there.

Ironic. On my commute home today I watched a rider plaster himself into the passenger side of a car. He was zipping down the gutter past a row of cars that weren't moving, when a driver turned into the gas station.

That video was certainly FAR beyond what I'm comfortable with, but I guess I'm a pretty timid rider. Spit lanes between the two far left lanes...sure. Just not comfortable riding along the shoulder.

One of my biggest fears of driving a semi in California is that i will crush a lane splitting motorcycle.

I cannot count how many times i have had a bike split 2 trucks. <_<

I am not an advocate of lane splitting. I think it's dangerous.

Totally legal in the whole world, with the exception of 49 US States. Cameras can't catch the whole story and having met JB, there was still some reserve he could draw from if needed.

The number 1 thought that crosses my mind is what if you got doored? Assuming thats unlikely , I cant help sensing thats about to happen.