My Fire Captain was Killed on his Motorcycle last Night

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the reason I support the AMA lobbying for stronger traffic laws with mandatory jail time for things like this, so that people will actually LOOK before they pull out.
I'm REAL tired of "oh you killed somebody, but you're a real nice guy and he was a nasty biker, so it's $80 and 50hrs community service" - I'd much rather hear "the mandatory minimum sentence is 2 years in jail"

In '92 or thereabouts I t-boned a Subaru that turned left in front of me. I got lucky and went over the car, and slid for 170ft. I was ATGATT then, and I'm even more ATGATT now, even in 102deg Florida heat. (plus I drive like a total asshole now, and they seem to see me now because it's obvious I intend to kill us both now. I don't obey speed limits, turn signals are just decorations, I lanesplit anywhere it's remotely possible, and I just go around people. I've only failed my cop-check once in 10 years.) :angry:

The good thing is the Subaru driver's husband is permanently in a wheelchair since the GS1100GL came through the passenger door crushed his pelvis. I think she'll remember to look next time.

Wow. Look fuckstick, this thread is about a fallen comrade. It ain't about your bullshit wreck where you're fucking glad someone was left permanently injured. I agree more punishment should come come to those who are at fault in an accident involving cars/bikes, etc, but showing merriment regarding any portion of an incident is plain fucking stupid.

The fact that you drive like an idiot now does not impress anyone.

RIP on the Fire Captain. God bless his family.

, (plus I drive like a total asshole now, and they seem to see me now because it's obvious I intend to kill us both now. I don't obey speed limits, turn signals are just decorations, I lanesplit anywhere it's remotely possible, and I just go around people. I've only failed my cop-check once in 10 years.) :angry:
The good thing is the Subaru driver's husband is permanently in a wheelchair since the GS1100GL came through the passenger door crushed his pelvis. I think she'll remember to look next time.
My condolences to the family snd prayers sent.Crashcash, either you have never truely thought about what it means to say what you have about the paralyzed driver or you really are an asshole. I hope it's the former.Again, prayers with the family.
No, it was the driver's husband that got paralyzed, and I'd MUCH rather it be him than me. I think of it every couple of months and regret not having the money to sue them into bankruptcy. I'm real tired of people treating driving like it's some sort of game, and accidents like "oh I got a boo-boo, insurance will fix it!" especially when it's *MY* ass on the line. People need to wake up and pay attention to the fact they're driving a ton of metal at 50mph and that they can KILL people.

I figure he should either have his wife learn to drive, or not get in the car with her. Too late now! There's a friend where I don't ride in her car because she can't drive.
disappointing

, (plus I drive like a total asshole now, and they seem to see me now because it's obvious I intend to kill us both now. I don't obey speed limits, turn signals are just decorations, I lanesplit anywhere it's remotely possible, and I just go around people. I've only failed my cop-check once in 10 years.) :angry:
My condolences to the family snd prayers sent.Crashcash, either you have never truely thought about what it means to say what you have about the paralyzed driver or you really are an asshole. I hope it's the former.Again, prayers with the family.
No, it was the driver's husband that got paralyzed, and I'd MUCH rather it be him than me. I think of it every couple of months and regret not having the money to sue them into bankruptcy. I'm real tired of people treating driving like it's some sort of game, and accidents like "oh I got a boo-boo, insurance will fix it!" especially when it's *MY* ass on the line. People need to wake up and pay attention to the fact they're driving a ton of metal at 50mph and that they can KILL people.

I figure he should either have his wife learn to drive, or not get in the car with her. Too late now! There's a friend where I don't ride in her car because she can't drive.
disappointing
Some folks just don't get it (obviously not just the cagers) & some folks NEVER WILL !

Sorry to hear about your Fire Capt. My dad is a retired Fire Capt. and has been trying to get me to stop for years. My prayers go out to his family for their loss, painful as I know I lost my son almost two years ago due to lukemia and miss him every day.

It's sad, way too sad. The loss of a life could have possibly been prevented with a little education on the driver's part. It's a large problem that we as riders should strive to teach those less fortunate than us who can't ride. Some of the attitudes and comments are also very disappointing.

IMHO, this driver suffered a much worse punishment than bankruptcy. That's a temporary inconvenience, which will go away after a few years. Instead, every waking moment she has to look at what she did to the man she loves. Can you imagine that? She may, or may not give a darn about the motorcyclist but she must have some feelings towards her spouse.

On top of that, a wheelchair bound person is probably eligible for home care nursing, but there is a tremendous shortage of good home nurses. More often than not, she will be doing his care herself. Since there was no at-fault benefactor for her to sue (since she caused the accident), the loss of his income is probably hitting very hard.

While I can't for a minute condone what she did, I can imagine that she might do anything to turn the clock back.

Jill

I'm very sorry to hear about a fallen brother. May his family (home/fire department) find peace as soon as possible.

prayers go out to his family and Fire fighter brothers.

May you always feel the wind in your face brother John.

peace