MY FJR IS KILLING ME !!!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I truly think that the power and weight of the FJR just scares the bejesus out of you and therefore tenses you up to the n th degree. it is a huge difference in riding style and requires a different set of skills to ride a bike of the FJR's caliber

Once you've halfway mastered the handling of this bike all your apprehension will fade and your muscles will comply happily without pain/discomfort

Remember you can't force this bike to do anything; you have to guide her and make her stay upright and turn with minimal input from your muscles

Just my 2 cents

Happy riding

Alfredo <_<

Did you every ride a motorcycle before ?...............................................................And if yes give the YEAR.

Did you every ride a motorcycle before ?...............................................................And if yes give the YEAR.

If you are not prepared to ride physically you could try riding an exercise bike or bicycle to prepare those unique muscles :0). I have taken the advice I learned on this group of wearing bicycle shorts under my CYCLEPORT pants on longer rides for extra comfort. After awhile 300 to 500 mile days will be a joy. More then that? Ask the Iron but?s !

Even tho I don't have my FJR anymore, here my .0002

Lots of folks here have some valid suggestions...

going from a scooter to a big bike like the FJR is a major step.

I'd be willing to bet hard cash that...

1. you're way too tense

2. you haven't ridden a motorcycle in either a long time or never

3. you're also wearing pants that are too tight.

the FJR was very easy for me to ride, but thinking back to my first bikes, a little 350 RD yamaha, I was sore for a while

riding just takes time to get used to

If you think you're sore from riding a bike, go ride a horse for a while.

anyway,

1.Look where you want to go

2. Read and try riding in the Master Yoda postition..... really works.

3. think about breathing and relaxing.

Oh, and look up!

Only reason I sold my FJR was because it was really hard for me to do stuff like gas stops and backing up with the bike being a bit top heavy... I have a short inseam and old age against me.. :angry:

I had mine way lowered, also something about owning 4 bikes, I had to get rid of three of them.

It's a very easy bike to ride, if you need to lower it to get your feet down, do so, unless you're going to attack corners way faster than you should, no problems handling. 100 miles in 5 day.... hmm... takes me 100 miles just to get comfortable beginning a ride, even on my Harley.

Oh yeah, there's a bunch of smart asses on here, but they're lovable smart asses. No problem.

One question... how fast have you gone o the FJR so far? It's way fun to go fast..... not that anyone here would ever go over the speed limit.... :rolleyes:

The FJR rocks!

Have fun and ride. It' way more relaxing than worrying.

Mary

If that's you in your avatar, then I'm afraid you and your groin are doomed to be uncomfortable on the FJR! :haha:

Damn, you figured it out!!!

Thanks Guys for all your advice,

The seat is stock.

I’m 5’ 10” with a 32” inseam. 50ish. I can’t quite flat-foot the bike, but I feel comfortable at rest.

I’m thinking it’s the tenseness of my legs as I get used to this bike. My upper body is very relaxed, but I’m coming from a Burgman, so this is one completely different animal. I’m getting used to the weight (although at speed, it seems more nimble and lighter than the Burgman), COG, fear of f*cking up my dream bike and just a steep learning curve.

It’s supposed to be in the upper 70’s here in ATL this weekend and I intend to spend a lot of time in the saddle. So, hopefully my thighs and I adjust. If not, I'll have an Flexeril IV strapped to the bike.

I also think I might want to invest in a pair of “tighty-whities”, the Boys are also feeling the pinch. Commando is not working.

For me, the stock seat was horrible. Made my azz hurt bad within a short amount of time. Within a month, I changed it over to a corbin saddle.

You all told me about the “grin” I would have after getting my FJR; you failed to tell me about the FJR ”grimace”.
I have had my “06 AE for exactly 5 days. I have about 100 miles now, mostly errands, and lots of parking lot practice and I commuted to work today for the first time. Also a few beautiful runs through Atlanta’s tree lined side streets.

But my thighs and groin are killing me! This seat seems so freaking wide...and what is there about 20 gallons in this huge tank between my legs?!? I feel like I’ve gone to a Dude Ranch and I got the fat horse. I am in pretty good shape; I walk four miles on a treadmill 3 times a week, my job isn’t sedentary, I stretch like crazy before I ride, but I’m dying here. I hurt so bad; it is affecting my ability to handle the bike. It’s so painful to put my leg down at a Stop sign that I try to do anything to avoid putting my foot down.

How long before my thighs get used to this seat and any suggestions of riding style that might help? Are other aftermarket seats narrower? Any exercises you can recommend? Did this happen to you? Am I just a pussy?

I’m sure my stop and go city driving doesn’t help, and the fact that I’m just learning this machine and I’m still a bit tense, but I love this bike too much to stay off for long.

Suggestions greatly appreciated;

Advil required………….
OMG!!! Waaaa!

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG!!! Waaaa!

OUCH !!!!!! I totally deserved that……………..

It has been two beautiful days here in the ATL and I have spent most of them on the FJR. I paid attention to everything constructive people had to offer and after two days, I am glad to report that I have no pain in the thighs and groin.

I think it comes down to three issues;

1. Inflexibility- I was the kid at Boy Scouts that could never sit “Indian Style” and that inflexibility still exists. So for me, I have to stretch, stretch and then stretch some more before I ride. A good idea to do before any physical activity. I find I can now flat foot the bike and my legs and thighs are used to the seat width.

2. Tenseness- I am coming from a Burgman and even though I have ridden since my teens, I took quite a long time off to raise kids and the Burgman was my introduction back to two wheels. I was so apprehensive with the extra weight, high COG, slow speed cornering and the fact that even though I practiced in parking lots I still had to get out among the crazy Atlanta drivers to get anywhere. Now that I feel so much more confident, my riding style is more physically relaxed, but mentally alert.

3. Commando- had to buy some tighty-whities (I know, TMI !) If the “boys” aren’t happy, then you are never going to be comfortable.

Thank you so much for all your kind words and your occasional humor at my expense. Completely understandable.

I didn’t post this to whine, but because I was very concerned I had made a bad decision and hopefully from reading my quandary, someone else will learn from it. I am taking the Lee Parks “Total Control” course on April 12th in Valdosta, Ga, actually taught by Lee Parks himself, so I think that will add even more to my confidence level. I truly LOVE this bike and again, thanks for all your helpful suggestions.

One suggestion I'd like to make after spending a more then a few multi hundred mile days in the saddle. Forget the "tighty-whities". The cotton material is more of a pain in the azz (really!) then what its worth. If you want real comfort while riding then you need to go look for some different riding under garments. I checked out some of the purpose made LD riding shorts but OMG! the money they want for them. What I ended up with is some boxer briefs from Under Armor. Designed for bike riders, they give me all day comfort no matter what the outside temp is. In colder weather, I wear thermals over them, in warmer weather, I carry a spare pair in one of my saddles and a bottle of Anti-Monkey Butt powder. At the end of the riding day, I can wash them out and dry them on a line at my campsite or on the towel rack in the hotel room. Under Armor is the way to go as far as I'm concerned.

Ray

Last edited by a moderator:
On the shorts topic, the LD Comfort shorts are worth the money. You don't need multiple pairs of them either. They wash so easy and dry incredibly fast due to the moisture wicking of the fabric. The ability to keep moisture away from your skin is a big part of what keeps you comfortable on long rides too.

If you're wearing jeans, consider buying some actual riding pants. They are cut looser and designed for you to straddle the bike, not sit in a chair. The combo of real riding pants and LD Comfort shorts provides a world of difference over jeans and cotton panties underwear.

LD Comfort

This is normal for the first 5 days. Those particular inner thigh muscles have never been touched! You'll get used to it in no time.

Go buy some good bicycle shorts with the gel pad that wraps around your crouch and butt. It makes all the difference in the world!

Then go ride like hell!! You will never want to ride anything else! Man-Up dude!!!

I have a really strange reaction to the seating position on the older Kawi Concours bikes, my thigh and leg in the normal position on that bike just hurts like it is just about to cramp. I've never experienced this on any other bike, it begins with the picking up the foot to put it on the peg, something about the angles and how splayed out your leg has to be on that bike to clear the fairing, just causes my inner thigh to spasm. I first noticed this on one I sat on it a dealers showroom and chalked it up to the moment, but this has been repeated now four times on other Concours bikes, including one I took for a test drive a few years ago. On that short ten minute ride I had to extend my right leg several times just to stop it from going out of control. Even after that ride I was pretty sure that I would get over this with time and prob. would have bought that bike if it didn't run like crap.

Has anyone else had a similar experience with the egonomics of another bike?

Probably not your issue, but I find most leg cramps and/or soreness are associated with dehydration onset.

Oh yeah, there's a bunch of smart asses on here, but they're lovable smart asses. No problem.
The problem with being a smart ass is that no one knows when you are being honest. I still think a few applications of WOT in the first three gears would solve the problem. :)

OMG!!! Waaaa!

OUCH !!!!!! I totally deserved that……………..

It has been two beautiful days here in the ATL and I have spent most of them on the FJR. I paid attention to everything constructive people had to offer and after two days, I am glad to report that I have no pain in the thighs and groin.

I think it comes down to three issues;

1. Inflexibility- I was the kid at Boy Scouts that could never sit “Indian Style” and that inflexibility still exists. So for me, I have to stretch, stretch and then stretch some more before I ride. A good idea to do before any physical activity. I find I can now flat foot the bike and my legs and thighs are used to the seat width.

2. Tenseness- I am coming from a Burgman and even though I have ridden since my teens, I took quite a long time off to raise kids and the Burgman was my introduction back to two wheels. I was so apprehensive with the extra weight, high COG, slow speed cornering and the fact that even though I practiced in parking lots I still had to get out among the crazy Atlanta drivers to get anywhere. Now that I feel so much more confident, my riding style is more physically relaxed, but mentally alert.

3. Commando- had to buy some tighty-whities (I know, TMI !) If the “boys” aren’t happy, then you are never going to be comfortable.

Thank you so much for all your kind words and your occasional humor at my expense. Completely understandable.

I didn’t post this to whine, but because I was very concerned I had made a bad decision and hopefully from reading my quandary, someone else will learn from it. I am taking the Lee Parks “Total Control” course on April 12th in Valdosta, Ga, actually taught by Lee Parks himself, so I think that will add even more to my confidence level. I truly LOVE this bike and again, thanks for all your helpful suggestions.
So glad you are enjoying the ride much more now. In regards to the Lee Parks "Total Control" course, I have had several friends take that course and really enjoy it. I would strongly recommend you get as much riding time as you can before the course so that you can continue to relax more and get used to the bike. I think they present some great riding techniques and tips and for you to get the most out of it you need to feel comfortable enough with the bike to try these techniques. Maybe even pick up the book by the same name and read through it and familiarize yourself with the material before the course. Otherwise you picked a great bike and enjoy!

i'm a fatass at 260lb.s 5' 9" and i have a really bad back and hips. i find myself riding more with my feet on the passenger pegs and it seems to keep pressure off my hips. i'm sure most of my discomfort is due to the 8 back surgeries and 2 hip surgeries but it might be another thing for you to try :)

I don't have a problem with the stock seat. Doing 900 miles a day is no problem, the last hour to home then I can feel it is starting to feel a bit thin.

But I also get a cramps in my right hand after just 40miles or so. I'm use to my R1, and the throttle/handlebar angle on the FJR is different. I do relax my hand, but then the throttle close by itself. For me it is a mission to keep the throttle open, and that is where my hand collapse.......... I get that needles and pins feeling in my hand and after a while I can't feel anything anymore..........