My free N-Line shelf install

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gixxerjasen

Reaction score
Quite a long while ago, Blassoff posted up about a free N-Line shelf. I snagged it up knowing it'd have a few issues. But it was free and I'm a cheap bastard, so who am I to complain. It took some time but I finally got it installed.

First off, someone had hacked off the nose of the thing, so the steps about drilling into my front fairing wouldn't be happening. Second, the thing was like Swiss cheese. I thought going into this, and was right, that I'd find some holes might just be perfectly spaced for a RAM mount.

Blassoff had said he didn't like it because it had too much movement/vibration. I figured the perfect solution to that would be to drill even MORE holes in the thing. Surely that's gotta make it more stable, right? I ended up drilling SEVEN more holes in the thing!!!

Ok, so I'm drilling holes with a purpose here. I'm installing a home made stiffener kit on this thing. N-Line sold such a thing and mine will be very similar.

At Lowes me and the wife pawed through the metal bin where they have rebar and stuff. I was settling for an angle bit of aluminum as I couldn't find my U-Channel stuff I wanted when my wife spotted exactly what I needed. Grabbed the bit of U shaped aluminum and went home.

2013-12-24141559_zps2967592b.jpg

2013-12-24141622_zps7d8b1662.jpg

So, after some drilling and installing screws to test for fit, it's all ready to come back apart and be painted. I wanted to clean it up and put some nice Krylon hammered finish black paint on it.

2013-12-26171009_zps43a9fa86.jpg

Now, those who have installed an N-Line shelf on their bikes will notice that I'm quite the fan of the "Measure once cut twice" philosophy. Actually, I thought I had it all figured out, except the legs that go on either end come back at a pretty severe angle. So while I'd given room for where the legs mount, I hadn't accounted for the angle that they come back and the stiffener was definitely in the way. I'd already painted it too. Sigh.

Take it apart, cut the stiffener, drill two more holes (up to six now) on either end and then double test fit everything. All good now. I did screw up my fresh paint job on it though as it had dried but didn't have time to cure. Eff it, out comes the sander.

2013-12-28145041_zps53df6880.jpg

Here it is all painted up with the stiffener and legs installed with brand new stainless bolts and stainless nylock nuts.

2014-01-05110425_zpse031d6ff.jpg

I noticed that the legs simply attach with bolts on the sides. On one side though, there was a hole lined up going through the leg mount and the top of the shelf. I added another hole on the other side in a similar place so that the leg mounts to the side AND the top. That's hole number 7 and should help in the rigidity of the shelf from translating movement from the legs into the shelf...I hope.

Kinda looks like an FJR Recognizer. That's a geek check by the way, let me know if you got it.
biggrin.png

2014-01-11233643_zps0d4f297a.jpg

And here we go, finally on my AE I can attach more than one device. My phone will be playing double duty as traffic map and media player for my commutes and long rides. The GPS won't be with me on my commute as I already know how to get to work and home. Hrm, I need to invent a GPS that gets you lost on the way to work but gets you right home, bet I could make a fortune.

DSCN2241_zpsc61b9005.jpg

I'm eager to try it out, thanks to Blassoff for the steal of the century on this no longer produced product!!!

Looks nice. I have been asked by a couple of fellow riders if I could produce a similar product as they are no longer being produced. I could if there was enough interest. I would need to borrow/buy a shelf kit so I could reverse engineer it.

If you get the interest, let me know. I could send mine. It's missing the nose of it though like I said, so maybe a different one would be better.

Looks nice. I have been asked by a couple of fellow riders if I could produce a similar product as they are no longer being produced. I could if there was enough interest. I would need to borrow/buy a shelf kit so I could reverse engineer it.
I have a brand one on my farkle shelf you can borrow.

As it turns out, that nose piece is highly critical for damping vibrations. My cell mounted in the center gets enough vibrations to make the screen blurry. Moving the xmount with my hand, I can see that the center part is twisting in relation to the edges causing the phone to move in an up/down fashion. The added brace I put on stops any up down bending of the shelf but the only way I can see to stop that twisting motion is the nose. Still, maybe I'll move the phone and use this for items that don't need to be read/looked at too much. Would still be a good place for XM antennas and radar detectors.

I ride year round, and put it up during cold or rain, so that's out.
sad.png

Maybe I'll snag me whatever Gerald puts out later. For now it's not too bad that I can't live with it.

I ride year round, and put it up during cold or rain, so that's out.
sad.png

Maybe I'll snag me whatever Gerald puts out later. For now it's not too bad that I can't live with it.
With that in mind, I'm picturing a "T" brace rod between the lower windshield mounts with a thumbscrew on the shelf that you would loosen when moving the shield.

Drilling a hole in the nose plastic is not on the list of things I want to do.

Jasen: It must mount differently on a Gen1 (actually it's a Gen2 shelf with mounting hardware for both generations). I cut the front end because it interfered with my gen1 windshield movement. Vibration was never a problem, I had a chunk of hard plastic velcro that I used to secure the front end to my nose plastic. But again, that was on my 2005. I tossed the section I cut off so no chance sending that to you. (sorry dude).

Nice write-up. Are you finally back on the road? Enjoy the farkle. B

Nice, old school. The recognizers and tanks got ripped off in the new one. They looked beautiful and were faithful to the originals, right down to the pilot controls, but they didn't get near enough screen time or action for me. The recongizers were much more terrifying in the first one.

Jasen, the original nose piece is critical in my mind. Vibrations someday will/may cause the upper mount on the legs to break (as happened to me) behind the vertical black dash panel. This is a molded tab on the nose cowling and the only fix is to buy a new one ($150). You would be very wise IMHO to make a triangular nose piece out of some flat stock, drill a hole in the nose cowling as much as you don't want to. The original came with a Dual-loc dot which ultimately fails from vibes too, or sunlight heats it so the glue fails....... up to you, but jes sayin'........

PS - truck bed liner spray paint might be an idea too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a brand one on my farkle shelf you can borrow.
Willing to part with the brand new one on your farkle shelf as you may not be using it??? If so I might even be able to pick it up as I might be moving to Canton, Ga in the next 30-60days.

Based on your quality work I would bet if you posted that you were making these you would get quite a few interested parties....