My Impressions of the MV Motorrad Bar Riser

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had to look at some pictures, and this is what I'm thinking: I left the 17mm stud the 6mm hole in the center position on the triple clamp, and my understanding is that they BOTH slide back for the front/back adjustment....correct? So, loosening the bolts on the bars where they mount to the MV raiser would only give me the angle adjustment on the bars. I'm thinking that as long as I have enough slack on the clutch/brake/throttle cables/hoses, I should be able to loosen the 17mm nut and the 6mm allen bolt that connect the MV raiser to the triple clamp, and I SHOULD be able to push it back, as the plate underneath should have more room to go back since I bolted it down in the middle position.

For some reason, I am drawing a blank....and I installed the thing last night!

Am I looking at this correctly?

I had to look at some pictures, and this is what I'm thinking: I left the 17mm stud the 6mm hole in the center position on the triple clamp, and my understanding is that they BOTH slide back for the front/back adjustment....correct? So, loosening the bolts on the bars where they mount to the MV raiser would only give me the angle adjustment on the bars. I'm thinking that as long as I have enough slack on the clutch/brake/throttle cables/hoses, I should be able to loosen the 17mm nut and the 6mm allen bolt that connect the MV raiser to the triple clamp, and I SHOULD be able to push it back, as the plate underneath should have more room to go back since I bolted it down in the middle position.
For some reason, I am drawing a blank....and I installed the thing last night!

Am I looking at this correctly?
You are right!Loosen the 17mm nut and the 6mm allen bolt and the plate will come back easy i believe!Keep us informed..
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it worked! I loosened the 17mm nuts, and 6mm allen bolts, the raiser plate moved back until the top of the Yamaha emblem is showing. To be quite honest, I didn't really see much difference from when it was in the "middle" position. However, I want to know that after spending that much money and time, I am getting as much setback as possible!

Again I must say that, only speaking for myself, this was very much worth the money!

Well, it worked! I loosened the 17mm nuts, and 6mm allen bolts, the raiser plate moved back until the top of the Yamaha emblem is showing. To be quite honest, I didn't really see much difference from when it was in the "middle" position. However, I want to know that after spending that much money and time, I am getting as much setback as possible!
Again I must say that, only speaking for myself, this was very much worth the money!
smile.png
good.gif

I had no problems with the riding position on the stock FJR other than the comfort of the seat. After a trip to California I couldn't tolerate it anymore and purchased the Russell Day Long seat. While I don't care so much for the look of the seat, it does deliver on it's promise of day long comfort. The trade off for me was that it jacked me up an inch higher and put more weight on my forearms and wrists as I reached 'down' to the bars. So now I'm thinking risers to elevate my arms a little and push me back into a more upright riding position. MV Motorrad looked like an easy install so I went for it and glad I did. I'd say it's worth every penny for me and my situation. I also liked that I got the newer version with the ram ball. Tried it out on the way to EOM and back and I'm very pleased....of course I wouldn't have needed any of this if Yamaha would've just put a few more dollars into a better stock seat.

I just installed the MV riser on my 2013. I tried moving it all the way back as you are saying, but found that the front of the triple clamp such that it couldn't slide back. The only way I could get it to go back was to lift the front of the MV riser, but then there was a gap between the riser and the triple clamp. Based on what I know the triple clamp of the Gen IIs and Gen IIIs is essentially the same, so wondering how you got yours to go back.

thanks

I loosened everything (17mm nuts and 6mm bolts) and it went back. However, if memory serves me right, I had to remove a wire clamp on the left side of the forks, and that was what was keeping the riser from moving back. It gave me just a few MMs, but enough to get the riser all the way back as the "tracks" would allow. Does that make sense? I didn't have to lift it, it just slid back after the wires were loosened

The idea makes perfect sense, as I had read your post before I installed mine and tried to do exactly that. I'll double check things tonight to see if missed something, but from even before I got the bars mounted to the riser it wouldn't slide back because of interference with the triple clamp. Thanks for your feedback.

This is where the MV plate contacts the triple clamp keeping it from sliding back any farther. It's gapped at the top, but down at the bottom it's touching. I may take it to a machine shop and have it cut/machined so I can slide it back farther if I want. I wonder if Yamaha changed the triple clamp some when going to the Gen III.

I will take pictures of mine when I go home for lunch, it may help so you can see how far it went back on mine

Well,the 06-12 fjr,uses the: 3P6-23435-00-00 part number triple clamp.

The 13 & 14 A fjr uses the : 3P6-23435-10-00 part number triple clamp.

The 14 ES fjr uses the : 1MD-23435-00-00 part number triple clamp.

So,probably there are some differences between the 06-12 & 13-14,but it fits,even not all the way back..

But surely this MV version doesn't fit on the 14 ES..

The MV works on it from what i know...

Not sure if these help, but should give you an idea how it should rest. Sorry about the mess, installing LED driving lights!

Thanks for the pics. I don't have any of the Yamaha emblem exposed. Looking at your pics it looks like the riser also contacts the triple clamp, but maybe a little farther back then on my 2013. (See yellow arrow)

I wonder if this isn't by design to prevent over-stretch of the wires/lines. It looks to me like you could trim the riser like the red lines in the photo below and get more pull back. I know from my install that my bolts going through the triple clamp into the riser are all the way in the forward position. I bet yours has a little more room to go back also, at least as far as the bolting is concerned.

Have a look at my previous post 271.The 2013 triple clamp is a bit different from the 06-12 triple clamp..

Perhaps for that reason doesn't fits in the same position...

Yes I suspect you are correct that the change on the 13 is probably just enough to push mine a little farther forward. I like the angle I have the bars at now but would still like a slight bit further back so I may pull the riser back off and take it to a machine shop for some 'fixing'.

Well, I bravely took my riser to the machine shop for some modification so I could increase the pull back a little. As originally installed the riser looked like this (note: this is the most forward position of original handlebar bolting):

After modification I was able to pull the riser back and it looked like this (note: this is the most rearward position of the original handlebar bolting):

I had the plate modified per this sketch:

Even after modification per the above sketch I had to increase the remaining chamfers on the bottom side because of the transition from the shock clamp to the flat area where the handlebars normally mount. I'm sure if I had done a little measuring I could have had the chamfers done at the machine shop, but I kinda missed the transitions when I was planning the modification. In the end I just used my dremel and file to increase the chamfers. Since it is aluminum it didn't take long and with it being on the bottom no one sees it.

I installed the handlebars on the plate in the furthest back position, and rotated the most they would go back (away from the front).

I elongated the hole in the clutch line bracket:

Also, I elongated both holes on the brake line bracket/standoff so that the brake line block would come back more towards the original Yamaha position, and I flip the bracket over which kinda pushes the block out away from the centerline of the bike. All this helped improve the bend radius of the brake line when the handlebars are turned hard right to the lock. It's still a little tight, but I'm not too concern cause this is not a constant operating position. Sorry no pic yet...I'll try to post one later.

Another small problem/concern is that when handlebars are turned full left, the throttle won't return on its own. The cables bind up a bit on the bottom of the brake line block, but it releases with just a slight rotation of the handlebars to the right. I realize this could be a risk at slow speed maneuvers but I'm aware of it so will take associated precautions.

Here is what the brake line bracket looks like now:

Riser and handle bars current set up:

This is probably the most extreme position as far as pulling on brake/clutch lines and the throttle cable.