My My My My My.......oohhh baby....this thing is

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well the bike did come with grips just not heated. :D It is an '06 A...if I'm reading it right.
Geese, some of our old time members should have know better............

Indeed, it is only the AE (auto-clutch) model that comes standard with the heated grips. Of course you can install them on the standard A model, and if you do, generally it recommended that you go with a cheaper/more effective alternative to the Yamaha branded type.

Ok whats with the kick stand anyway?
I ain't even going there! :eek: Let me just say that every time you deploy it, make sure it is actually all the way forward before letting the weight of the bike on it.

Radical - Congrats on your new FJR and welcome to the collective! Consider yourself assimilated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Raaaadiiiiical! Picked up the blue bombshell at the dealer today and couldn't be more impressed. Rode it home about 100 miles in 37 degree weather with snow flurries and had a hard time keeping it under 80mph even with wind gusts up to 35. I've owned everything from HDs to Hondas to BMWs but nothing compares with this machine. I could not get over the build quality. I rode a BMW RT yesterday and find the fit and finish of the FJR to be on par while the power is just over the top. The bike was so smooth, fast, and handled through the curves like they weren't even there that I did not even notice how cold it really was. I've ridden on days like this before however with heated seat and grips on the Beemer....I really need those heated grips. The power curve did not seem to top out and 110mph felt like 65 on my other bikes. The power is almost stealth and sneaks up on you in the form of speed....going to have to watch that or plead guilty allot. I found the suspension to track perfectly with no course correction required at any speed. I was not displeased with the seat although only mounted for 100 miles...this may be different after 600. We'll see about that. The wind screen was adequate although I wished it were a little higher when being pelted by sleet. I had the dealer adjust the seat to the lowest setting and move the bars back as far as possible however I do think risers are in the works. Instruments seemed ok but I do wonder if the speedo is correct? Overall this thing has more grunt than you need and seems to do everything well. I even enjoyed the riding position and was not tired at all. I thought this may be a problem for me coming off cruisers and machines like the Wing....speaking of the Wing, I'm sure that when I parked the FJR next to her she let out a little scream of "no, no, not here, get that bitch away from me!!" It is going to be hard to choose which bike to take on long distance trips. In any case I'm a happy camper and am glad I found this place to ask all the "base" questions I can come up with. :D
You won't be riding the Wing that much anymore. I have a loaded 05 Venture and everytime I open the garage door to go riding I don't even give it any thought..... I get on the FJR! Heck I would sell it if it wasen't for the fact that there is nothing wrong with having more than one bike.

Thanks again for the warm welcome guys....I only hope I can live up to the standards set forth by this esteemed group. :p

Bridgestones are known to suffer cupping on the front tire after 5,000 miles.
I'd LOVE to get 5000 miles out of a tire, front or rear! :yahoo: Now if they would just make a tire that would last that long with agressive riding and hold good in the twisties, many of us sports type riders would be pleased :D

Bridgestones are known to suffer cupping on the front tire after 5,000 miles.
I'd LOVE to get 5000 miles out of a tire, front or rear! :yahoo: Now if they would just make a tire that would last that long with agressive riding and hold good in the twisties, many of us sports type riders would be pleased :D
Based on that reply, you'll get about 3,500 from the bridgestones

I guess this would be a bad time to mention that I got 8,000 on the OEM Z4 rear and 12,000 on the OEM Z4 front. Now with 7,000 on the current Z6 front, it's only got a few thousand left because of all the time spent in Arkansas this summer.

I guess this would be a bad time to mention that I got 8,000 on the OEM Z4 rear and 12,000 on the OEM Z4 front. Now with 7,000 on the current Z6 front, it's only got a few thousand left because of all the time spent in Arkansas this summer.
Pfffft!

Over 14,000 on a rear Avon and over 18,000 on a front Avon.

Get with the program, eh? :assassin: :D

Even with the reports and facts of the Avon milage and performance, there are still doubters to why the LD group uses them. The claims made by us lesser riders are always suspect. The Avon seems to out milage all comers. I have not gotten less than 10,000 out of the rear with plenty always left on the front. I did replace a rear with 9500 miles because of a nail and an upcoming trip or I would have plugged it for an additonal 1500 aprroximate miles.

Pfffft!

Over 14,000 on a rear Avon and over 18,000 on a front Avon.

Get with the program, eh? :assassin: :D
Point taken, but no Avons shall find their way to my bike. :D

Welcome to the FJR ward, Radical... :dribble: and congrats on your new ride. :yahoo:

This Forum rocks. In fact, I may hang around here even after I trade in my bike for a [deleted].

Yes, I'll soon be parting with my bike because of the terrible [deleted] and the unacceptable state of the [deleted]. Even the Yamaha Rep admitted that [deleted] and yet the dealer would not replace the [deleted].

So I told them to [deleted]

Well, welcome aboard I guess :rolleyes:

Stef

Welcome to the FJR ward, Radical... :dribble: and congrats on your new ride. :yahoo:
This Forum rocks. In fact, I may hang around here even after I trade in my bike for a [deleted].

Yes, I'll soon be parting with my bike because of the terrible [deleted] and the unacceptable state of the [deleted]. Even the Yamaha Rep admitted that [deleted] and yet the dealer would not replace the [deleted].

Stef
This post is worthless with[deleted] [deleted] :rolleyes:

Stef
Aaannnnddd is this the same bike you threw over a cliff? And the [deleted] isn't right and Yamaha admitted so, but the dealer won't replace the [deleted]. Could it have been damaged whilst sliding and tumbling? Or is it another part? Color me: :confusedsmiley: :wacko: :blink: :crazy: !

Stef
Aaannnnddd is this the same bike you threw over a cliff? And the [deleted] isn't right and Yamaha admitted so, but the dealer won't replace the [deleted]. Could it have been damaged whilst sliding and tumbling? Or is it another part? Color me: :confusedsmiley: :wacko: :blink: :crazy: !
:lol:

Welcome to the FJR world, Radical !

As others have said You will find something to complain about... Something about FJR owners being toooooo pickey (read:anal).
I find that after you get used to the FJR, you start to take it for granted and, in a sense, forget how good it really is. It pays to have another bike or to ride other peoples bikes in order to appreciate how good the FJR is and how good it felt the first time you rode it.
After I got my 06A, my Yamaha V-Star 1100 just collected dust in my garage. I sat on it and fired it up a few times to keep the battery charged, and was amazed at how foreign it felt. I had no desire to ride it as long as my FJR was available. I sold the V-Star on Ebay to a guy from Washington state. The buyer decided to have it shipped. A few days ago, a semi-truck that already had 3 motorcycles on it showed up and I helped the driver put my bike on a pallet after loading the bike in the truck using the lift gate. Now there's just one bike in the garage :yahoo: and that's all I want. Well, a dirt bike would be nice, and ........ :p

IMG_1649-V-Staronpallet.jpg

Don't forget to check your locks on your bags to see if they were loc-tited! Many of us have discovered this problem only AFTER the lock popped off somewhere in traffic! :eek:

Oh, and welcome to the cult, uh um, I mean FORUM yeah tat's what I mean forum. Oooohhmmmm

Aaannnnddd is this the same bike you threw over a cliff?
Yup. You got the timing wrong, though...

I threw it over a cliff because the [deleted] would not work and the dealer said "tough sh*t".

But we don't want this to be a turn-down for our new bud Radical, now do we?

Apart from yours truly throwing bikes over cliffs in fits of rage, the good ole FJR is a hell of a great bike and thanks to the FJR I became acquainted with a bunch of the finest people ever.. :clapping: ... until I joined this Forum, that is :blink:

Stef

But we don't want this to be a turn-down for our new bud Radical, now do we?
Apart from yours truly throwing bikes over cliffs in fits of rage, the good ole FJR is a hell of a great bike and thanks to the FJR I became acquainted with a bunch of the finest people ever.. :clapping: ... until I joined this Forum, that is :blink:

Stef
Nah..no turn-down for me. I enjoy the bantar and will join in when I can....besides I've been known to throw a bike or two down hill sides and sometimes even ride them down broke or not.