My new 2009 FJR1300AE

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the sharp looking bike. See you got the Motovation sliders on..... damn good start

to farkling!

Last edited by a moderator:
Makuna,

I'm sure the pics don't do the color justice. I've been wanting to see one and the dealers don't have anything but the all-black A.

Would you mind riding that thing down to southern New Mexico real quick so I could lay eyes on it. It is warm down here and

the riding is great!

Congrats!!! :specool:

Sweet! I really like that color. If I were to ever get rid of my 06, I would have to see about trying to get that color in a standard model.

I saw that color in person once..... i REALLY REALLY Liked it.. i like it much better than my 06AE Crelien Silver (sp) I think Yama calls it Graphite... and it is a very very sexy looking color for sure

Welcome home slice..... AE is a good choice... Yammi did a very good job on that system

Congrats on the new bike! That sure is a nice looking color! You might want to go back to the dealer and complain because it looks like they left off the clutch lever. B)

Get any more riding in yet? It was a balmy 28 degrees on my ride into work this morning :eek: which is much warmer than the 12 degrees I experienced over the weekend up in Okanogan county (no I wasn't crazy enough to ride over there).

You did good, great looking ride. Hope it works out as well for you as my 06AE with 47k miles has for me. I truly hope Yamaha continues to offer the AE for future years.

Congrats! Great color!!!

I am thinking about trading in my 2005 for a 2009AE. Please tell me about the shifting! Smooth, nice, OK, wierd? Do you use your foot or hand?

Thanks,

Mike

Please tell me about the shifting! Smooth, nice, OK, wierd? Do you use your foot or hand?
Thanks,

Mike
I use the finger paddle shifter. I found that instead of using my thumb to downshift I find it easier to use my finger and flick it away. I do wish there was a permanent "turn paddle on" switch that I didn't have to hit everytime I start it.

Shifting at speed is nice and smooth but I am still getting used to it (only 120 miles on it so far, freezing fog sucks). So far I have found starting off a little hard to get used to and it acts different once fully warmed up. When cold (only three bars on the temp guage) it tends to "bob" a little as I slide on the throttle. Once warm there isn't much of a problem. Getting the idle throttle set a little higher might help with starts.

Like already mentioned from previous years the throttle seems a little stiff but I really only find this an issue at low speed riding in which the AE needs the fine throttle control (and a little a brake). But I want to stay stock for first 600 miles to let me adjust to the bike before starting "adjusting" too much.

thats Purdy! I love that color, tempted to trade my 06 Ae for an 08 or 09 but Im just too invested in FARKLES to change colors right now. Enjoy and welcome to the forum

... When cold (only three bars on the temp gauge) it tends to "bob" a little as I slide on the throttle...
If by "bobbing" you mean juddering as the clutch is engaging, you may have a bit of the "dry clutch" syndrome. Mine did this for 2 years until I got the shop, while doing a service, to take the clutch out and soak the plates in oil. It's 95% better now.

No end of threads about the issue on this site, a quick site google gives the list here.

Remember while in the warm-up, high idle, mode, the clutch engagement speed is also higher. Unless its warmed-up idle speed is low (optimum depending on who you ask is 1000 to 1100), it won't make much difference. If set too high, it won't disengage properly as you come to rest (normal disengagement speed is 1300 rpm IIRC).

FWIW mine behaves fully warmed up at 1 bar.

When you get some good weather you could give us your take on the new air man. system . you could compare it to your 06 . Thanks . zorkler