My New 3P6-W4612-01-00

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ignacio

Intramural Culture Warrior
Staff member
Reaction score
Seasoned FJR Owners That Have Memorized the FJR Model Year Matrix: The 5JW-W4612-00-00 is all well and good, but for the discriminating Gen 1 owner the 3P6-W4612-01-00 goes to 11.

Everybody Else: We'll see how a low-mileage Gen 2 final drive I picked up on eBay for $180 makes the RPM drop a bit on my Gen 1. Should be a 2.7% taller gear. Picked up a spare u-joint with it too.

FD.JPG

Remind me, does the entire assembly as pictured swap directly, or does one need to change the shaft to the appropriate gen1 part to make up the shorter wheelbase change?

Remind me, does the entire assembly as pictured swap directly, or does one need to change the shaft to the appropriate gen1 part to make up the shorter wheelbase change?
[slightly panicked]The shaft shows as the same part number between Gen 1 and Gen 2 (5JW-46172-00-00)....so I'm not sure. I *thought* they just changed the gear ratio and not the dimensions.[/panicked]

I was going to wait until I get some other stuff done on the winter maintenance cycle, but I think I'll head to the garage now and do a little eyeball and tape measure stuff.

The wheelbase is longer starting with the first year of the Gen II, 2006 in the US. I don't know how that translates to a change in the drivetrain.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is going to be interesting. Hope it all works out for you Iggy. PS Iggy got a whole near rear drive train for the price of a set of chains and sprockets. Nice!

Well, the shaft is longer by 1.5" in the 2007 donor unit.

FD2.JPG

The splines looks the same on the one end, but profile seems possibly a little different on the shaft, but don't think that will be a problem. The receiver end seems to have a slightly different shim, but don't think that will be an issue either.

FD2.JPG

Me thinks I'm going to have to learn how to swap drive shafts. One more step towards the path to ultimate FJR enlightenment.

Found it...

Reference my previous '04 service manual and current '09 service manual.

Secondary reduction '04 -- 35/36 X 21/27 X 33/9 = 2.773

Secondary reduction '09 -- 35/37 X 21/27 X 33/9 = 2.698

Sorry Ig, now you have a spare final drive.

--G

Secondary reduction '04 -- 35/36 X 21/27 X 33/9 = 2.773
Secondary reduction '09 -- 35/37 X 21/27 X 33/9 = 2.698

Sorry Ig, now you have a spare final drive.

--G
Let me be clear. The secondary reduction ratio is or is not in the final drive assembly? Is the secondary reduction in the engine?

If so, I misunderstood and, am a half step closer to enlightenment, and will have a final drive for sale.

phuck. :)

Secondary reduction is in the engine. Final drive is the 33/9 (3.66 ring/pinion ratio) portion of the equation.

--G

Secondary reduction is in the engine. Final drive is the 33/9 (3.66 ring/pinion ratio) portion of the equation.
--G
Well, it was a half-baked idea I had. Thanks for the straight dope.
smile.png
You're welcome Matt. Trying to save you the hassle of the final drive change w/o any *change*.

IIRC a while back someone was working on putting a Venture final drive on a FJR. I think that final drive ratio is 3.30 and would net you a almost 11% reduction in RPM. That would be something.

--G