My new 5 string bass

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slapnpop

Rest in Peace our Forum Founder
Reaction score
Well, here's my newest creation, a 5string bass.

The body is made of walnut with a spalted and flamed maple top. The neck is flamed maple, walnut, and mahagony. The mahagony was reclaimed from a pipe organ built in the early 40's.

This has been a hobby of my for a few years, longer than I've been riding. I've been playing guitar and bass since I was about 13.

Now if only I could build motorcycles from scratch!

More pictures can be found here

DSCF0065.jpg

DSCF0068.jpg

DSCF0079.jpg

DSCF0088.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
wow....that's beautiful, dude. But, how you gonna play them high frets with no access? Interesting design, though....never thought about extending the end of the bass for strings....does that bass call for extra long strings? Are you in the market to make more basses? I might have a friend that would be interested. It is a cool looking bass.

wow....that's beautiful, dude. But, how you gonna play them high frets with no access? Interesting design, though....never thought about extending the end of the bass for strings....does that bass call for extra long strings? Are you in the market to make more basses? I might have a friend that would be interested. It is a cool looking bass.
I wanted an instrument with more range for fret-tapping, ala Victor Wooten. I found it limited my slapping room severly thought, and knew that was a risk going in. I would probably cut it down to about 28 frets if I had to do it over again (currently 36).

I'd be instrested in building something for your friend, and may be starting a line of guitars through the company I already work for. We picked up a custom high-end drum kit maker, and we might expand more into the modern instruments where I have some experience. I don't work too fast, cause this all gets done in my very limited free time. This bass was in design for a couple years in my head, and start to finish construction was about 2 1/2 months.

GunMD pictures several FJR owners sitting in a dry lake bed outside of Reno 'round a big camp fire listening to various acoustic renditions of our favorite classic rock tunes...

Ok...name of company and website. I'll tell all I know about your bass. Although, I prefer carvin. .....that's just me.

Slapnpop,

The website below (and the company represented) belongs

to a friend of mine, (who is also a bass player, btw).

https://www.accugroove.com/

He's received a lot of good feedback from a lot of different folks,

so check it out if you're interested.

Regards,

Jim

Nice.

I've always been partial to the Fender Jazz.

What module do you have in the back pannel? Does it accommodate various processing add-ins? With the way tech has changed over the years, some of the stuff out there is pretty high zoot. Much of it isn't pretty like this though. Love the choice of grain in the body.

That is absolutely beautiful!!!! I'm a novice bass player myself. I decided to take it up a year ago last X-mas and being left handed I'm teaching myself, as instruction is next to impossible to find. At the moment I have a Fender Jazz with an ash body. You should see the looks I get when I tell guitar sales people that I play left handed!! You'd think I just showed up from Mars. Seems they forgot about a guy that goes by the name "McCartney", not that I am in the least comparing myself with him. Southpaws are definately a minority when it comes to guitars (Basses). Again, Great work!! A work of art if I might add.

Wow Travis, That's shaweet! Good job Mister! See ya' sooooooooon!!!!

Fantastic look piece of work Slappy. Something like that takes real skill and craftsmanship. You've really got something to be proud of there.

WOW! That is really a stunning collection of wood and the lines are just perfect. So is that for your slapping and popping?

Specs would be cool...electronic schematics and all ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
The pickup is a Gotoh humbucker. The two coils are wired as individual pickups.

The controls are Vol - Blend (between the two coils) - tone - jack. It CAN accomidate a 3 band EQ instead of the blend/tone controls, but I prefer to make those kind of adjustments at the preamp, rather than on the instrument. Schematics are un-nessicary as it's all pretty much standard guitar wiring. If you're really interested I could draw them up, thought.

Unfortunatly this instrument isn't well suited for slapping and popping. The fingerboard is too close to the bridge to let you get fingers underneath the higher strings. If I had it to do over again (which I will be) I'd knock off about 5-8 frets.