My new ride, 2014 ES

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beautiful, beautiful bike!

And, yes, that type of rotors and brake pads can be noisy sometimes.

-R

Last edited by a moderator:
On vacation at the moment, so I cannot check things just now.

I do not hear noise in the front. I wear a full face helmet so I suppose there could be noise that I am missing. It is a feel in the bars. I remember having a similar problem on my raider at one point and it turned out to be a loose pinch bolt. I do not feel it on braking, just on bumps. When I park, I drive over some grass and it is a bit bumpy as well as a bit of gravel road.

I will try going over the surface with the front brake slightly applied and see if that changes the sensation.

When I get back I will spend some quality time with a torque wrench.

Cockpit view. This is a little portion of my daily commute. Yamaha touring windshield installed along with ram-ball mount for my phone.

Thanks for taking us along for the ride on your pretty new '14! There are a number of things I don't understand...

• Where are the frost heaves and pot holes in the road?
  • What happened to the hills and mountains?
  • Where did the 14.56e4 other commuting cars go?
  • Where are the rivers and lakes?
  • Why is the sun already up when you go to work?
  • If there are no stripes on the road can you use the whole road from shoulder to shoulder?
  • Why is the ground green instead of white?
  • How come you didn't freeze to death with the windshield down?
I gotta get me one of those there things!

Really likey that Red. I know some here say it's pinkish but they are just jealous of you '14 guys :)

Congrats and take care of that beauty!

My '14ES had a clunk sometime in the front when going over medium or larger bumps that I could feel through the handlebars. I had the dealer check all nuts in the front end and it was all to spec. He said the Upside Down Forks will do this sometimes. The spring inside will move and cause the sensation we experience. After about 350 miles,

I no longer notice this. Not sure if I just got used to it, but I think it just went away once the components settled.

Thanks for taking us along for the ride on your pretty new '14! There are a number of things I don't understand...
  • Where are the frost heaves and pot holes in the road? Huh? What are those?
  • What happened to the hills and mountains? We Texans have a lot of faith and move them around.
  • Where did the 14.56e4 other commuting cars go? Behind me....
  • Where are the rivers and lakes? To the left...
  • Why is the sun already up when you go to work? Going home early in the afternoon in this one. 0430 start to the day usually.
  • If there are no stripes on the road can you use the whole road from shoulder to shoulder? Obviously....
  • Why is the ground green instead of white? Cow food.
  • How come you didn't freeze to death with the windshield down? ​I am one tough customer, 60 degrees doesn't bother me.
I gotta get me one of those there things!
Life is good.

I had the dealer check it out twice. The lead tech says it feels good to him. He can tell what I am talking about but he thinks it is just normal movement in the suspension / front tupperware. He did not re-torque the steering head. I am going to buy a socket and and re-do it myself. I am also going to check the torque on everything else up front just to put my mind at ease. I will report back if I track it down or not.
Thanks all, for the advice / comments.

Time to do the first fluid change, 600 on the odo.
Here is an alternative to tracking down and buying an expensive spanner wrench or socket.

I have to thank profireguy again for inspiring me to make this homemade tool from his post here. Got the 1 1/2" X 2"long black pipe cut at locally owned hardware store. Cost:$1.00 At work tonight, asked the tool crib guy (former FJR owner) for a "castle nut", and a washer. Cost: $0.00. Sandblasted parts before welding, then went to the welding shop to "bubblegum" them together. Gave the assembly a finish grinding, and a WD-40 bath to remove grit and prevent rust.

Crude, but effective....

DSC00970.jpg

DSC00969.jpg

I cancelled my order from WildHareAccessories since they had a 4 week backorder, and saved about $27.00. The next time I use this homemade tool, I figure it will save me around $80.00 in shop fees, and I will know that the job was done to my satisfaction. If any of you have access to do this simple tool fab, I highly recommend it. I think that this deserves entry into the FJR Bin'o'Facts section of the forum, with credit to profireguy!

Edit: In case you are wondering, the two "tabs" are plenty strong to endure the "initial" 37 ft. lbs. and the "final" 13 ft.lbs. of torque.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it looks like everything is tightened up correctly. I am getting used to the front end feel now. Added some farkels,

Touring windshield

15xo1v9.jpg

Corbin Seat, it will look better once I get my smuggler painted and back on.

smrgap.jpg

anovaa.jpg

Phone mount, 1367 miles

abgrjb.jpg

Keyport (keeps your keys from dangling and scratching up stuff)

2hnvomc.jpg

Yessirrom, You're not done yet. Get some carbon fibre adhesive material and cover the panel behind the front fender. It will complement the fender extenda. You can use the same material to cover the tank trim piece. It is very important to either buy or have the side panels candy red. It will become a mandate that 2014 FJR's have red side panels. Why in hell did Yamaha release bikes to the U.S. with silver panels while they sent them to Europe with red panels? Inquiring minds need to know!!

Yessirrom, You're not done yet. Get some carbon fibre adhesive material and cover the panel behind the front fender. It will complement the fender extenda. You can use the same material to cover the tank trim piece. It is very important to either buy or have the side panels candy red. It will become a mandate that 2014 FJR's have red side panels. Why in hell did Yamaha release bikes to the U.S. with silver panels while they sent them to Europe with red panels? Inquiring minds need to know!!
Side panels are scheduled for delivery today! Longest back order ever. I am excited to get them installed.

I would like to wrap the side vents, tank trim and lower cowl with carbon fiber. This will be my next project.

Wow, my side panels are scheduled for today as well! They were ordered 2/24/14. Big batch must have come in.