My new toy hauler!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RTSR1/FJR

Gort - Klaatu barada nikto!
Reaction score
Went and picked up my new trailer today. Had it made by Lark Unlimited in Douglas, GA. Used to have a Wells Cargo years ago and have regretted selling it ever since! It's a 7Wx12Lx6H tandem axle. Spring asst. Ramp door, elec. brakes, V-nose, 16 in. center floor cross members, 6in. drop axles, chrome wheels, side door, and w/7000lb. capacity for only $3700. Van's only rated for 5500 lb., but I'll never get close to that with just bikes. Everything around here was $2000 more. Pulls nicely too! I'll post some more pics tomorrow if anybody's interested. Anyone looking for a trailer should look into these! Awesome trailer for the money and with a 5 yr. structure warranty.

TheTrailer.jpg

Mucho cool. How's the inside laid out? Ready for bikes or do you have to do some mods? (tie-downs, etc.)

Mucho cool. How's the inside laid out? Ready for bikes or do you have to do some mods? (tie-downs, etc.)
I just picked up yesterday. They would've installed chocks & tiedowns too, but I don't know exactly where I want them yet. It just plywood in the interior, 3/8" sides and 3/4" floor. I'm just going to paint them, white on the sides and grey floor. With the 16" floor cross members, it pretty solid. I'll post some more pics when I get it finished.

fjrchik - be going up in Jun and taking both bikes. Who knows what else? lol

The trailer looks great. Now put in some inside upper storage, lights, generator, shelf and microwave, flip down bunk, etc. Ha!

Just in case you care, (I mean it's your trailer and all) when you paint the floor and ramp, consider applying a wet coat, sprinkling some sand on it and then another coat. Works great for traction when it get a little wet. I did this on the ramp into my building. They make nice textured floor paint, but this is cheap.

Just in case you care, (I mean it's your trailer and all) when you paint the floor and ramp, consider applying a wet coat, sprinkling some sand on it and then another coat. Works great for traction when it get a little wet. I did this on the ramp into my building. They make nice textured floor paint, but this is cheap.
Yeah, I'd already thought of that. I know a couple of people who have busted their ass on slick painted surfaces. One friend tore his bicep loose from the bone when we came back from Deal's Gap last year. Ouch! Out of work for 7 weeks due to surgery and rehab. Don't need that!

You may want to consider replaceing that screw jack with a swing-away unit. Sure speeds things up when you want to be on your way and you don't have to worry about catching it on an obstruction and bending it. Bolts right on to the tungue out of the way of your tailgate on the pick-up truck. Just a thought. MIKE

You may want to consider replaceing that screw jack with a swing-away unit. Sure speeds things up when you want to be on your way and you don't have to worry about catching it on an obstruction and bending it. Bolts right on to the tungue out of the way of your tailgate on the pick-up truck. Just a thought. MIKE
I have van and everything clears good. Never in that big of a hurry. I did leave the castor wheel on one time on my old trailer though. You learn real quick that way! lol Thanks anyway!

RTSR!/FJR,

Nice rig! I will give you the thumbs up on it. :thumbup:

If you later cover it with OCC/WCC/HD logos/stickers, etc. then you get the :thumbdown:

;)

Setting it up for camping also?
That's what I was thinking. A couple of windows and maybe a fold down bed on each side would be about all I'd need for camping.

It the frame aluminum or steel?

And the trailer is for????? :D :D

Maybe it's me but it seems kinda BIG to be pullin' behind the feejer. :bigeyes:
For haulin stuff! Der! j/k :bleh: It for haulin my bikes and we're going to do some camping in it also. I do a few trackdays a year and it nice to pack things up under lock & key to keep the fingers off of things! Plus we go to the mountains (Smokies) every year and I get tired of not being able to take both bikes with me (one for me, R1 & one for us, FJR). Going to see about putting a canopy on it for camping! Not sure exactly what I'm going to do inside as far as cabinets go yet. I'll figure it out though! lol

RTSR1/FJR----when did you get the Harley??? :D   nice trailer!
I know it's black, but that's what Brenda wanted, and what Brenda wants, Brenda gets! Well, almost everything! lol Not everything black represents HD! OK, in the motorcycle community it might, but damn it, that's what she wanted! I'm just happy she let me get another trailer no matter what color it is! lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Setting it up for camping also?
That's what I was thinking. A couple of windows and maybe a fold down bed on each side would be about all I'd need for camping.

It the frame aluminum or steel?
Steel.. This ain't no PACE or Featherlite! Those are about triple what I paid. I know, I looked at them. No windows, but I'll make a screen door for it and I'll keep my eyes open for a used RV A/C unit. Then the bunks and I'll be happy with that.