Need a battery - which brand

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've taken a lot of heat over my opinion about the difference between a 135 CCA battery and a 210 CCA battery, none the less let me repeat -- if a brand promotes a 210 CCA battery, compare its weight to the 10.1 lb 135 CCA battery. If the weights aren't significantly different the battery vendor is playing a spec game about how CCA is measured. To have higher CCA the battery must weigh more. Just because the battery industry has a standard on how to measure CCA doesn't mean that a company may 'free lance' a bit and be liberal in how they advertise the capability of their batteries.
What self-respecting marketing department is going to let industry standards get in the way?

I've taken a lot of heat over my opinion about the difference between a 135 CCA battery and a 210 CCA battery, none the less let me repeat -- if a brand promotes a 210 CCA battery, compare its weight to the 10.1 lb 135 CCA battery. If the weights aren't significantly different the battery vendor is playing a spec game about how CCA is measured. To have higher CCA the battery must weigh more. Just because the battery industry has a standard on how to measure CCA doesn't mean that a company may 'free lance' a bit and be liberal in how they advertise the capability of their batteries.
What self-respecting marketing department is going to let industry standards get in the way?
cynic

I'm looking for a battery for 2007 FJR. Which brand do you all use?
I learned my lesson long ago and only buy Yuasa. Higher CCA and longer life. I do not like getting stranded, especially now that I have an AE which cannot be bump started.
I learned the same lesson when I installed a Westco and it died in less than 6 months. I'll only use Yuasa batteries in my FJR1300 and in my CBR1100XX

I'm looking for a battery for 2007 FJR. Which brand do you all use?
I learned my lesson long ago and only buy Yuasa. Higher CCA and longer life. I do not like getting stranded, especially now that I have an AE which cannot be bump started.
I learned the same lesson when I installed a Westco and it died in less than 6 months. I'll only use Yuasa batteries in my FJR1300 and in my CBR1100XX

I am considering a Scorpion battery on ebay.

item # 300404392601

210CCA,.. AGM,.. $66 including shipping,.. 100% feedback rating

Seems like a good deal to me. The local shop wants $195 for the equivalent Yuasa.

I just had the bike down at Daytona, and it was cranking a little slower, and once or twice the time and miles went to zero.

Sounds like the 6-year-old original battery is getting tired, eh?

Comments???

Gyrobob

QUOTE (FJRski_2007 @ Mar 10 2010, 05:15 PM) So, what does "compatible" mean from technical standpoint? Is it "as" good as original Yuasa?

Compatible means the batteries meet the same specifications, both electrically and physically. These batteries all meet or exceed these specifications:

Terminal Polarity = Pos+ Left/ Neg- Right

Voltage 12

Amp Hour 12

CCA 135

Length 6"

Width 2 3/4"

Height 5 3/4"

Weight 10.1lbs

The attribute "good" would have to be determined in a lab or determined by the life and performance of the battery in your FJR. Two manufacturers can start off with a bag full of identical components and chemistry, yet one manufacturer could build a clearly superior battery solely based on fabrication methods and industry specific skills.

Last edited by a moderator: